The coronavirus and the sfa

MacBoyd

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Unless they have to put it to a vote, which you state is a possibility.

Let us know if you get the answer to that by the way.

I've had a brief look and don't see anything which compels them to put it to a vote. 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, The Dude said:

Clubs at the top end of every would lose out as prize money etc is staggered. To give everyone equal amounts those with more would need to give up some so those with less could get level. 

Exactly so far more will benefit from an even split for the good of the game. 

3 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

They earned a chance to try and win the Europa League.

Im pretty sure it will end up that no-one that entered this year would have had a chance to win as it is going to get cancelled.

I genuinely think they deserve to get another try more than Motherwell.

They got pumped out by Welsh farmers, they deserve fuck all.

Just now, The Dude said:

I've had a brief look and don't see anything which compels them to put it to a vote. 

I cant help but feel that it would need to go to a vote.

You couldnt just have a board that decided to end the league one day because they wanted to.

It feels like too big a call not to get approval from the member clubs.

I do not know all of these people, but wonder what way they would vote if it goes to one, to give the tarriers the title ??

The 2019/20 SPFL Board is made up of :

Neil Doncaster (CEO),

Murdoch MacLennan (Chairman),

Karyn McCluskey (non-executive),

Alan Burrows (Motherwell),

Les Gray (Hamilton Academical),

Stewart Robertson (Rangers),

Ross McArthur (Dunfermline Athletic),

Ewen Cameron (Alloa Athletic),

Ken Ferguson (Brechin City) 

Peter Davidson (Montrose).

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

And the court of session will point them the the SPFL rule book (which I linked to a page or two ago) which has the rule Hearts signed up to giving the board discretion to end the season early. 

Were the SPFL to have arbitrarily ended the leagues and awarded titles, then maybe someone would have a case but if the government orders the cancellation of sporting events etc then they won't have a leg to stand on. 

Firstly, regardless of your selective cherrypicking of the SPFL rule book, any reasonable person would consider it unfair that one club (eg Hearts) should be disadvantaged by a rule written at a time when the current scenario could not have been imagined. If you’re having a pissing contest between the authority of the SPFL and the authority of the Court of Session, I know who my money is on.

Secondly, there is the question of integrity and what is morally the right thing to do. The SPFL are supposedly there for all their member clubs and would lose all respect and credibility pulling a stunt like this.

I just can’t see them going for the option which brings them the greatest ridicule and contempt.

Just now, Bears r us said:

I do not know all of these people, but wonder what way they would vote if it goes to one, to give the tarriers the title ??

The 2019/20 SPFL Board is made up of :

Neil Doncaster (CEO),

Murdoch MacLennan (Chairman),

Karyn McCluskey (non-executive),

Alan Burrows (Motherwell),

Les Gray (Hamilton Academical),

Stewart Robertson (Rangers),

Ross McArthur (Dunfermline Athletic),

Ewen Cameron (Alloa Athletic),

Ken Ferguson (Brechin City) 

Peter Davidson (Montrose).

Knowing us it would be split down the middle with one vote left to cast.

Up walks Robertson and votes to give celtic the title.

9 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Including relegations?

No, they expanded the league by the two teams usually promoted. From this season three teams will automatically go down. The worst team in 2020 (they play  Jan-December) the worst team in a combined 2019/2020 table and then the loser of a playoff between the team second last in each table. 

1 minute ago, Colin Traive said:

Firstly, regardless of your selective cherrypicking of the SPFL rule book, any reasonable person would consider it unfair that one club (eg Hearts) should be disadvantaged by a rule written at a time when the current scenario could not have been imagined. If you’re having a pissing contest between the authority of the SPFL and the authority of the Court of Session, I know who my money is on.

Secondly, there is the question of integrity and what is morally the right thing to do. The SPFL are supposedly there for all their member clubs and would lose all respect and credibility pulling a stunt like this.

I just can’t see them going for the option which brings them the greatest ridicule and contempt.

Its not selective cherry picking. 

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Uncharted waters now, mate. Your unswerving allegiance to the rule book takes no cognisance of the current unique scenario which they could not possibly have considered when writing their rules.

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Knowing us it would be split down the middle with one vote left to cast.

Up walks Robertson and votes to give celtic the title.

I should not laugh but I did and that honestly would not surprise me. :duh: 

3 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

You're forgetting one crucial detail there, this is the Scottish football authorities who can always be relied upon to choose the worst possible option and make a right cunt of things.

I don't know the ins and outs and not really bothered to look but to me would they not just end it with the way it stands and base everything off that? Shite aye but there's no way the cunts that run our game will just defunct the season. 

Just now, The Dude said:

Its not selective cherry picking. 

Their rules will no doubt state how many matches are to be played in a league season, yes?

Does this rule have a wee asterisk after it indicating that this is a “mibbees aye, mibbees naw” rule?

You are picking/quoting the rules which support your argument.

19 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I cant help but feel that it would need to go to a vote.

You couldnt just have a board that decided to end the league one day because they wanted to.

It feels like too big a call not to get approval from the member clubs.

It’s a public safety issue.  The SFA and SPFL will act in accordance with the governments guidelines.  It seems the government has been in talks with the football governing body down in England and games will be played behind closed doors for now.  If just one footballer gets this virus the entire team would need to self-quarantine for two weeks.  I don’t see how the league can go on.  I imagine the member clubs are just as concerned as everyone else and will shut down the league.

22 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Because the rules every club signs up to at the start of the season gives the board the power to do exactly that. 

Did they not make up the rules when they decided to give all the clubs a vote on whether we remained in the top league or were put to the bottom?

Just now, TMB said:

It’s a public safety issue.  The SFA and SPFL will act in accordance with the governments guidelines.  It seems the government has been in talks with the football governing body down in England and games will be played behind closed doors for now.  If just one footballer gets this virus the entire team would need to self-quarantine for two weeks.  I don’t see how the league can go on.  I imagine the member clubs are just as concerned as everyone else and will shit down the league.

There is basically no chance that we get to the end of the season without one of our top league clubs being effected.

The league is not going to finish, it is purely about how its handled when it is cut short now.

9 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

I don't know the ins and outs and not really bothered to look but to me would they not just end it with the way it stands and base everything off that? Shite aye but there's no way the cunts that run our game will just defunct the season. 

This seems the best option to me.  We’ve fuck all left to play for domestically anyway.  Ending the domestic football would allow us to focus on the Europa League which is to our benefit.  But, even the Europa might get cancelled in the coming weeks.

8 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Their rules will no doubt state how many matches are to be played in a league season, yes?

Does this rule have a wee asterisk after it indicating that this is a “mibbees aye, mibbees naw” rule?

You are picking/quoting the rules which support your argument.

Yes, but it is at the discretion of the board. There should be 38 however the board has the power to end it early. 

Just now, Bad Robot said:

Did they not make up the rules when they decided to give all the clubs a vote on whether we remained in the top league or were put to the bottom?

To be fair, that was a decision because there was no provisions in the rules for the situation.

I can see both angles on this one, but I firmly believe that it is not fair to give one team a league title when another team can mathematically still win the league.

What if the league was level on points and it was a single goal splitting 1st and 2nd?

Archived