The coronavirus and the sfa

MacBoyd

"Coronavirus: Belgian FA tells UEFA it won't be forced to complete league"

The Belgian FA has told UEFA it will not be forced into completing its league amid the coronavirus health crisis despite a threat of expulsion from European competitions.

It has called on European football's governing body to take a "variable approach" in order to achieve solidarity within European football.

The Belgian FA (URBSFA) and the Pro League recommended on Thursday that the season should be ended prematurely amid the coronavirus pandemic, with the current standings being treated as the final results, which would see Club Brugge crowned champions. 

That recommendation was expected to be passed at a general assembly meeting on April 15, but later on Thursday UEFA urged European leagues not to "abandon" their seasons as they eye a July resumption, and threatened the punishment of a ban from European competition next season for those who take such measures.

Belgium's Pro League released a statement on Friday revealing it had just held an hour-plus conference call with the URBSFA and UEFA. 

The statement read: "A remote meeting was held for more than an hour this Friday morning between UEFA, RBFA and the Pro League.

"This constructive meeting allowed Belgian football leaders to explain in detail the health and economic reasons for the recommendation issued yesterday by the Board of Directors - and to challenge any approach that would consist of forcing a league to continue its competition in the current state of the health crisis under threat of not being able to participate in European competitions next season.

"In favour of solidarity within European football, our representatives called for a variable approach to this concept which makes it possible to take into account both the specificities of each league.

"A new meeting between the same parties will be scheduled within a week."

While UEFA's ideals are noble I think they're being a bit optimistic that the whole of European football can just start again in the next month or two given the different stages each country is at with their own Covid infection rate.  Some European countries have relatively few cases still and may yet see a large increase where other nations will be seeing their cases decrease over the coming months.  Each country is on it's own unique trajectory. 

Plus, UEFA don't seem to be taking into account the fact that if one player, coach or anyone else involved with a first team catches the virus, the rest of the team and backroom staff will have to self-isolate for two weeks and so too will the opponents they most recently played in the previous 14 days or so.  I think the loss of TV and advertising money is affecting their thinking.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jim beam said:

They won’t.

I agree.  If the league votes for this there'll be no grounds to take legal action.  Done up like a kipper with the tactic of putting this to the wee leagues first.

Just now, The Dude said:

Articles of association determine what comes under what resolutions. This fits as an ordinary resolution. (It was argued on here several weeks ago where I was repeatedly told I was wrong on that one, but here we are)

This is a critical point and one I'm sure many would benefit from non ambiguity and absolute clarity on. Me for one. What are the specifics?

Just now, Coop said:

I agree.  If the league votes for this there'll be no grounds to take legal action.  Done up like a kipper with the tactic of putting this to the wee leagues first.

Its being put to all 42 clubs and the vote includes the outcome of the Premiership.

Just now, KingKirk said:

They must won't isn't a option here 

They will make noises and release statements but ultimately they will not waste money on a court case that will be lengthy and ultimately fail.

Just now, Coop said:

The bottom leagues will vote for it leaving a precedent for them to hand the title over.game set and match.

5 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Cute how the bring in that 75 percent rule therefore circumventing Rangers and Hearts Vote..

They will know exactly how the voting will go they have all the ducks lined up hence the statement today.

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

This is a critical point and one I'm sure many would benefit from non ambiguity and absolute clarity on. Me for one. What are the specifics?

The SPFL have deemed it an ordinary resolution, not sure what specifics you're wanting tbh.

The bottom leagues will vote for it leaving a precedent for them to hand the title over.game set and match.

All 42 clubs are voting.

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

If Hearts or Rangers were to take this to court then surely they can’t pay out Monies to teams until settled?

That would be lolz

They'll pay out on the basis they expect challenges to fail. Clubs are desperate for the money and thats a huge leverage to get thus proposal passed.

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

They'll pay out on the basis they expect challenges to fail. Clubs are desperate for the money and thats a huge leverage to get thus proposal passed.

I’m not entirely sure you can do that.

They will know exactly how the voting will go they have all the ducks lined up hence the statement today.

Spot on mate.

Don't ask the question unless you already know the answer.

Blatant corruption but if you can get away with child rape, then fixing yet another tainted title is a piece of piss.

Archived