The coronavirus and the sfa

MacBoyd

I had a look at the SPFL rules and regulations:

https://spfl.co.uk/admin/filemanager/files/shares/SPFL Rules and Regulations 22-Jul-19.pdf

I don't see anything about force majeure situations such as war or plagues. The presumption concerning abandoned games is that they will be rescheduled.

So basically there is no guidance and talk about board discretion only means they'll talk about it and come to a decision of some sort. As I said, they're going to take their lead from their superiors in UEFA and other leagues.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Not disputing we've played 29. It doesn't take away from the 'fucking fact' that last weekend was the 30th round of fixtures in the Scottish Premiership. 

Unless we were to win that game in hand and get some 15 points for it, it's kinda moot anyway. 

You  seemed to be disputing it. You said that they would be ending the season after 30 games.

Do you think that it is fair to apply this method to all leagues? Do you think that AZ Alkmar, who are level on points with Ajax will be told tough shit?

In this league we are supposed to play the same teams, the same number of times until the split. We play the same teams the same number of times to provide a level playing field. We are being deprived of the chance of doing that. A league system where we have played different teams, a different number of times devalues the integrity of the whole system.

When the integrity of the system is compromised, it cannot be allowed to stand.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

They wouldn't be but its not exactly usual circumstances here. 

The same thing happens with out of contract players that happens now. They either sign a new deal or move on. Id be more worried about clubs ability to pay their players with almost no income for the foreseeable future. 

A lot of things will need sorted out by UEFA ,a one size fits all or as close to that will need to come into play ,allowing countries to extend seasons including play offs can’t really happen ,

imagine a player in the 1st division is with a club in a play off position ,his contract is up in May and he’s offered a bigger contract from a club higher up or indeed a play off competitor ,does he hang around for an extra few games or sign for another club 

The best and fairest way for me is void the lot across Europe ,take current standings for next seasons UEFA club tournaments and get individual countries to reconstruct their leagues for a season to allowing promotion 

Its unfair for clubs investing for promotion to miss out and also unfair for teams to be relegated without completing their fixtures 

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

You  seemed to be disputing it. You said that they would be ending the season after 30 games.

Do you think that it is fair to apply this method to all leagues? Do you think that AZ Alkmar, who are level on points with Ajax will be told tough shit?

In this league we are supposed to play the same teams, the same number of times until the split. We play the same teams the same number of times to provide a level playing field. We are being deprived of the chance of doing that. A league system where we have played different teams, a different number of times devalues the integrity of the whole system.

Nail on head 👍🏻

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Oh yeah, my mistake. With another points penalty for failing to exit admin with a CVA. 

So they were not demoted to the bottom tier.

So Scotland did not fallow the protocol set out by our closest neighbours. The reason being that sporting integrity must prevail.

But we are just to accept, 'It happened in Chile, so we must give celtic the title'. Fuck the sporting integrity.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did Chile not also refuse to relegate anyone? I take it this must be the case then in Scotland and you are saying Hearts will stay up?

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

AZ may well be told tough shit but it not as if they are arbitrarily saying 'fuck it, let's just stop the leagues and hand the titles early out just for lolz'. 

The continued use of sporting integrity like It actually means something is as cringey now as it was in 2012.

16 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Imagine if it was us with a lead in league going for 55, how would we react, it’s one clusterfuck but I don’t think it can just be handed to them on a plate.

I think we would deal with a lot better than the permanent offended tarrier population

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

So they were not demoted to the bottom tier.

So Scotland did not fallow the protocol set out by our closest neighbours. The reason being that sporting integrity must prevail.

But we are just to accept, 'It happened in Chile, so we must give celtic the title'. Fuck the sporting integrity.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did Chile not also refuse to relegate anyone? I take it this must be the case then in Scotland and you are saying Hearts will stay up?

Chile did refuse to relegate and instead expanded their league. There's no chance of that happening here as TV would lose two Old Firms a season and they're not letting that happen again. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

AZ may well be told tough shit but it not as if they are arbitrarily saying 'fuck it, let's just stop the leagues and hand the titles early out just for lolz'. 

The continued use of sporting integrity like It actually means something is as cringey now as it was in 2012.

It might be fucking cringey as you say, but it cost us years in the doldrums and has gifted celtic countless league titles.

Can be fucking sure that im going to be the cringiest fucker the world has ever seen if they are going to now retract the morality to gift them another.

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Sounds to me @The Dude would be raging if the scum are not given 9 in a row should the league season end now.

Not at all. I coloudnt care less though if they do get it. It looked like they were probably going to win it anyway so I'll not lose any sleep if they do on a technicality. 

1 minute ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

I read on Twitter yesterday Rangers had to forfeit the title in 1939 because of the outbreak of a world war, so there's your precedent. 

Precedent doesn't matter if they point to provisions within the existing rulebook. 

Fuck suspension. This isn't gonna blow over for a while. Season is done. If the SFA had any sense they'd just void it and hopefully start up next season as normal.

No doubt they are finding an excuse to award the title to them and that lot will take it. We know they don't have any decency or respect but if they did they would refuse it.

Games a bogey. Just toss the league in the bin and start preparing for next season.

SPFL rules:

"Season means the period of the year commencing on the date of the first League Match in a Season and ending on the date of the last League Match in the same Season or otherwise as determined by the Board and which excludes the Close Season;"

A pretty ambiguous clause open to various interpretations (you can be sure the lawyers for Hearts, etc will be all over this). 

If there are no more league matches played then March 11th marked the "end of the season" with St Mirren versus Hearts. But this has absolutely *nothing* to say about who wins what. If there are no more gamesplayed from this day forward then the board has already exercised its discretion as regards the dates of the end of the season.

Archived