The coronavirus and the sfa

MacBoyd

The celtic and Rangers 2008 sporting integrity spat and what it means for COVID-19 fall out

The two clubs were at loggerheads 12 years ago in a fractious clash that has ramifications for the drama playing out today.

celtic and Rangers throughout their history have fought fierce battles on and off the pitch. Scottish football's great football rivalry is a part of the very fabric of our sporting culture with the Glasgow pair going toe to toe over the years to gain the upper hand in a city where the rivalry is an essential part of its heartbeat. The atmosphere engulfing big games between the sides is fevered as the drama ramps up to reflect the importance of events on the field. But the palpable tension has rarely been as heightened as it was during the action-packed 2007/08 season when the two were involved in a titanic title clash while Rangers had a European glory bid on their mind.

In a city where it's never dull, this remarkable campaign 12 years ago - and the recriminations which followed - offers a telling insight into the potential fallout that awaits with the current season suspended due to coronavirus and uncertainty raging over any final decision from the government and SFA and SPFL on the current season. Back then, Gordon Strachan's Hoops side launched an improbable comeback from the brink and their upturn in form piled the pressure on league chiefs with Rangers on the march to the UEFA Cup Final in Manchester.

Matters were complicated further due to Rangers already being behind in games played after the SPL agreed to postpone Rangers' match against Gretna to help them prepare for a Champions League decider against Lyon in December. The first Parkhead clash between celtic and Rangers at the turn of the year was also cancelled in the wake of the tragic death of former Hoops star Phil O'Donnell. Gretna, plunged into administration, had a backlog of fixtures themselves to fulfil as their ground share with Motherwell was proving problematic with the Fir Park pitch a muddy mess. 

celtic, eyeing a money-spinning pre-season tour to Japan, were against any extension to the Scottish Premier League season under the grounds of 'sporting integrity'. While Rangers, who believed the league body were selling them short, were forced to play their final three league fixtures over the space of five days as they campaigned for the season to finish after the Scottish Cup Final. 

Furious chief executive Martin Bain let rip at SPL chief Lex Gold, saying: "Rangers are being punished for their success and we can't do anything about it. "I am raging at this outcome and very disappointed in the SPL at what they have done. ''Where is the sporting integrity of making us play four important matches in the space of eight days? "They were recently waxing lyrically about the co-efficient of Scottish football in Europe thanks to a great degree on the results we have achieved so far and yet they can't see their way to helping us over a very difficult period. "The last time we had a team in the UEFA Cup final they had a week to prepare and yet Rangers are told to play Hibs, Motherwell and Dundee Utd over six days and given just a four day break before a possible final in Manchester. "'We have held a dignified silence on this topic so far preferring to try and work with them."

And those views were echoed by Rangers boss Walter Smith who also had a pop at the Hoops' chief executive Peter Lawwell, saying: "This sporting-integrity situation gave me a good laugh. "Peter Lawwell seems to be the chairman and chief spokesman of the sporting-integrity committee. "Peter would be better coming out and saying he wants Rangers to play four games in a week because it suits his team and helps their quest to retain the championship. If it was the other way round, I'd want  celtic to play four times in a week so he is as well coming out and being honest."

In the end, Rangers lost the UEFA Cup Final to Zenit and celtic won seven consecutive league games to secure an improbable three-in-a-row. With the Ibrox side and their supporters left with a feeling of injustice that their improbable European exploits should have bought them more time domestically. But the wounds caused by a title race like no other will likely never completely heal as the two clubs are once again in opposite corners with another burning issue to be decided.

Manager Neil Lennon and skipper Scott Brown have both made public declarations celtic should be crowned champions if the season is cancelled as COVID-19 takes a grip across the globe. The Hoops enjoy a 13-point lead over their rivals but Rangers will argue their case with two matches against their rivals remaining and a game in hand. It's understood that such is the severity of the pandemic that football is unlikely to resume for months and leaves the government and Scottish football decision makers with a major call to make.

A raft of options are on the table but all have major drawbacks and could lead long-term legal battles unless there is unanimity across the clubs. This goes beyond celtic and Rangers, however, with Hearts considering their options if the season ends with Daniel Stendel's side bottom of the Premiership. And what about Dundee United and Cove Rangers? The runaway leaders in the Championship and League Two will feel aggrieved if their efforts aren't rewarded with promotion.  But if the remaining Premiership fixtures can't be completed then expect a fresh battle to be waged between between Rangers and celtic one again. It's always been the way.

Source: https://www.BOYCOTT THIS LINK/sport/football/football-news/celtic-Rangers-2008-sporting-integrity-21696376

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Previous votes haven't treated us impartially. The SFA didn't treat us impartially. We're owed, rather than being neutral, and allowing  the knowingly corrupt SFA and the self interested other clubs to make a precedent by voting impartially is a little far fetched. 

As before they will vote for their own short sighted reasons, which still involves a hatred for our club.

Judge their sense of integrity and fair play very, very carefully. They have a lot of previous. 

I agree if it is left to the sfa, but with the current top flight clubs, I fail to see why they would all club together to vote scum champions out of hatred for Rangers. Sheep and hivs definitely,but I have doubts they would be voted champs by the necessary majority.. If it is left solely to the sfa then the game is a bogie.

5 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

I know you were mate . 100% agree  . Most bears know the score on that one mate

And most likely , they will get what they want with us rolling over

I suppose we will have to see what UEFA say on Tuesday, but I have very little faith in them either. 

Whatever they say will either put an end to it (Void all leagues/cups) or will be left to be fought over here and I think Hearts are probably the only hope of challenging it in court, unless our board find a set from somewhere. :thinking:

celtic's title stance strengthened by key UEFA intervention as Scottish football awaits vital verdict
Current Legia Warsaw manager Aleksandar Vukovic can claim to be one of the very few to have past and present experience of such a scenario. celtic's stance that they should be crowned Premiership champions if the Scottish season ends has been given credence by a UEFA intervention in 1999. And Aleksandar Vukovic can claim to be one of the very few to have a first-hand experience of the unknown. The Scottish football season looks set to be declared over because of the deadly coronavirus with it now looking highly unlikely there will be any more football for many months.

Decisions will need to be taken among Scottish football chiefs, who could ask European football's governing body for guidance, about champions, promotion and relegations from the four major leagues. Hoops boss Neil Lennon has insisted celtic should be declared nine-in-a-row champions after stretching 13 points clear of Rangers at the top. And the last time UEFA acted when a league was suspended indefinitely, they declared the winners to be the team who were top of the league at the time.

In 1999, the First League of Yugoslavia was halted after 24 games into a 34-game season because of NATO bombing of the country. Partizan Belgrade were just two points clear of second placed Obilic, but when football was given the all-clear to resume later that year, UEFA and the Yugoslavian Football authorities declared Partizan the 1998/999 winners - their 16th domestic title. They also rubbed salt into Obilic's wounds by excluding them from Europan competitions because the club owner, Arkan, was charged with war crimes.

Polish football is currently going through a similar scenario to Scottish football. The Ekstraklasa is regarded as one of the leagues most similar to the Premiership because they split their top league into two sections after 30 games and play seven games after the split. Legia are eight points clear at the top but, like celtic, face an anxious wait to find out what will happen to the season and possible title. 

Their manager Vukovic also played for Partizan Belgrade in 1999 when their season was interrupted.  And he said: "I'm probably one of the very few people in the world who has experienced an interruption of the season and is experiencing it now. "In April 1999, NATO raided what is now Serbia so all football was stopped. "We couldn't finish the season but it wasn't annulled. It was declared that we won the championship that season. "And we had actually played fewer games back then in that season than we have now. "It's not as if we have played two games this season or something. Most of the football has been played. "I don't know whether we will be back in April or December, I'm not a clairvoyant. The only thing I know and I also tell this to my players, is not to underestimate the enemy we are currently fighting."

Source: https://www.BOYCOTT THIS LINK/sport/football/football-news/celtics-title-demand-strengthened-key-21695876

10 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

The celtic and Rangers 2008 sporting integrity spat and what it means for COVID-19 fall out

The two clubs were at loggerheads 12 years ago in a fractious clash that has ramifications for the drama playing out today.

celtic and Rangers throughout their history have fought fierce battles on and off the pitch. Scottish football's great football rivalry is a part of the very fabric of our sporting culture with the Glasgow pair going toe to toe over the years to gain the upper hand in a city where the rivalry is an essential part of its heartbeat. The atmosphere engulfing big games between the sides is fevered as the drama ramps up to reflect the importance of events on the field. But the palpable tension has rarely been as heightened as it was during the action-packed 2007/08 season when the two were involved in a titanic title clash while Rangers had a European glory bid on their mind.

In a city where it's never dull, this remarkable campaign 12 years ago - and the recriminations which followed - offers a telling insight into the potential fallout that awaits with the current season suspended due to coronavirus and uncertainty raging over any final decision from the government and SFA and SPFL on the current season. Back then, Gordon Strachan's Hoops side launched an improbable comeback from the brink and their upturn in form piled the pressure on league chiefs with Rangers on the march to the UEFA Cup Final in Manchester.

Matters were complicated further due to Rangers already being behind in games played after the SPL agreed to postpone Rangers' match against Gretna to help them prepare for a Champions League decider against Lyon in December. The first Parkhead clash between celtic and Rangers at the turn of the year was also cancelled in the wake of the tragic death of former Hoops star Phil O'Donnell. Gretna, plunged into administration, had a backlog of fixtures themselves to fulfil as their ground share with Motherwell was proving problematic with the Fir Park pitch a muddy mess. 

celtic, eyeing a money-spinning pre-season tour to Japan, were against any extension to the Scottish Premier League season under the grounds of 'sporting integrity'. While Rangers, who believed the league body were selling them short, were forced to play their final three league fixtures over the space of five days as they campaigned for the season to finish after the Scottish Cup Final. 

Furious chief executive Martin Bain let rip at SPL chief Lex Gold, saying: "Rangers are being punished for their success and we can't do anything about it. "I am raging at this outcome and very disappointed in the SPL at what they have done. ''Where is the sporting integrity of making us play four important matches in the space of eight days? "They were recently waxing lyrically about the co-efficient of Scottish football in Europe thanks to a great degree on the results we have achieved so far and yet they can't see their way to helping us over a very difficult period. "The last time we had a team in the UEFA Cup final they had a week to prepare and yet Rangers are told to play Hibs, Motherwell and Dundee Utd over six days and given just a four day break before a possible final in Manchester. "'We have held a dignified silence on this topic so far preferring to try and work with them."

And those views were echoed by Rangers boss Walter Smith who also had a pop at the Hoops' chief executive Peter Lawwell, saying: "This sporting-integrity situation gave me a good laugh. "Peter Lawwell seems to be the chairman and chief spokesman of the sporting-integrity committee. "Peter would be better coming out and saying he wants Rangers to play four games in a week because it suits his team and helps their quest to retain the championship. If it was the other way round, I'd want  celtic to play four times in a week so he is as well coming out and being honest."

In the end, Rangers lost the UEFA Cup Final to Zenit and celtic won seven consecutive league games to secure an improbable three-in-a-row. With the Ibrox side and their supporters left with a feeling of injustice that their improbable European exploits should have bought them more time domestically. But the wounds caused by a title race like no other will likely never completely heal as the two clubs are once again in opposite corners with another burning issue to be decided.

Manager Neil Lennon and skipper Scott Brown have both made public declarations celtic should be crowned champions if the season is cancelled as COVID-19 takes a grip across the globe. The Hoops enjoy a 13-point lead over their rivals but Rangers will argue their case with two matches against their rivals remaining and a game in hand. It's understood that such is the severity of the pandemic that football is unlikely to resume for months and leaves the government and Scottish football decision makers with a major call to make.

A raft of options are on the table but all have major drawbacks and could lead long-term legal battles unless there is unanimity across the clubs. This goes beyond celtic and Rangers, however, with Hearts considering their options if the season ends with Daniel Stendel's side bottom of the Premiership. And what about Dundee United and Cove Rangers? The runaway leaders in the Championship and League Two will feel aggrieved if their efforts aren't rewarded with promotion.  But if the remaining Premiership fixtures can't be completed then expect a fresh battle to be waged between between Rangers and celtic one again. It's always been the way.

Source: https://www.BOYCOTT THIS LINK/sport/football/football-news/celtic-Rangers-2008-sporting-integrity-21696376

Who wrote that S H ? I notice they never say that 'they' never went to Japan, which was a real cop out by the author IMO. 

Just now, Sweetheart said:

celtic's title stance strengthened by key UEFA intervention as Scottish football awaits vital verdict
Current Legia Warsaw manager Aleksandar Vukovic can claim to be one of the very few to have past and present experience of such a scenario. celtic's stance that they should be crowned Premiership champions if the Scottish season ends has been given credence by a UEFA intervention in 1999. And Aleksandar Vukovic can claim to be one of the very few to have a first-hand experience of the unknown. The Scottish football season looks set to be declared over because of the deadly coronavirus with it now looking highly unlikely there will be any more football for many months.

Decisions will need to be taken among Scottish football chiefs, who could ask European football's governing body for guidance, about champions, promotion and relegations from the four major leagues. Hoops boss Neil Lennon has insisted celtic should be declared nine-in-a-row champions after stretching 13 points clear of Rangers at the top. And the last time UEFA acted when a league was suspended indefinitely, they declared the winners to be the team who were top of the league at the time.

In 1999, the First League of Yugoslavia was halted after 24 games into a 34-game season because of NATO bombing of the country. Partizan Belgrade were just two points clear of second placed Obilic, but when football was given the all-clear to resume later that year, UEFA and the Yugoslavian Football authorities declared Partizan the 1998/999 winners - their 16th domestic title. They also rubbed salt into Obilic's wounds by excluding them from Europan competitions because the club owner, Arkan, was charged with war crimes.

Polish football is currently going through a similar scenario to Scottish football. The Ekstraklasa is regarded as one of the leagues most similar to the Premiership because they split their top league into two sections after 30 games and play seven games after the split. Legia are eight points clear at the top but, like celtic, face an anxious wait to find out what will happen to the season and possible title. 

Their manager Vukovic also played for Partizan Belgrade in 1999 when their season was interrupted.  And he said: "I'm probably one of the very few people in the world who has experienced an interruption of the season and is experiencing it now. "In April 1999, NATO raided what is now Serbia so all football was stopped. "We couldn't finish the season but it wasn't annulled. It was declared that we won the championship that season. "And we had actually played fewer games back then in that season than we have now. "It's not as if we have played two games this season or something. Most of the football has been played. "I don't know whether we will be back in April or December, I'm not a clairvoyant. The only thing I know and I also tell this to my players, is not to underestimate the enemy we are currently fighting."

Source: https://www.BOYCOTT THIS LINK/sport/football/football-news/celtics-title-demand-strengthened-key-21695876

this is the full of European Football they've used this, Chile scenarios where there is only one country and will dig up shite like this untill the daily rhebel  gets what it wants a taig title.

11 minutes ago, BookWorm said:

I agree if it is left to the sfa, but with the current top flight clubs, I fail to see why they would all club together to vote scum champions out of hatred for Rangers. Sheep and hivs definitely,but I have doubts they would be voted champs by the necessary majority.. If it is left solely to the sfa then the game is a bogie.

celtic issued a statement saying it voted to throw Rangers out of the SPL to protect the “integrity” of the game.  Other clubs followed suit

https://www.ft.com/content/bac6306c-c5fc-11e1-b57e-00144feabdc0

cfc seem to want their cake and eat it, when it comes down to Sporting Integrity now.

4 minutes ago, sRcFoCt said:

this is the full of European Football they've used this, Chile scenarios where there is only one country and will dig up shite like this untill the daily rhebel  gets what it wants a taig title.

I'm thinking Hollicom are at work

11 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

Who wrote that S H ? I notice they never say that 'they' never went to Japan, which was a real cop out by the author IMO. 

It just said By Record Sport Online. Agreed it is a big cop out and a half truth.

9 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

celtic issued a statement saying it voted to throw Rangers out of the SPL to protect the “integrity” of the game.  Other clubs followed suit

cfc seem to want their cake and eat it, when it comes down to Sporting Integrity now.

Yes, sporting integrity must be strictly adhered to at all times I agree.

9 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

It has always been the way with them. Sporting integrity must be maintained as long as it benefits them. 

The SPFL caveat as legal expert lays out every option on the table and the meeting that could change everything
League rules state the board can decide when campaign ends but clubs can then fight it 

By Ross Pilcher

Scottish clubs WILL have legal grounds to challenge any SPFL decision taken to end the season early without voiding the current standings but they’ll have to prove it was unreasonable. That’s according to top Mischon De Reya Sports lawyer Simon Leaf, who would be surprised if clubs who are hit hardest don’t try and challenge any decision that sees them relegated or miss out on promotion.

North of the border it’s going to be a nervous wait for the likes of Hearts and Partick Thistle , who would still have a reasonable chance of survival if the campaign isn’t cut short permanently. The Jambos’ board are set to thrash out a possible course of action at a meeting this week. SPFL rules state that the season begins on the date of the opening league fixture and ends on the date of the final league fixture.

The important caveat however, stipulates “unless otherwise determined by the SPFL Board.” That’s not the case down south and would appear to give the top brass up here a little more leeway. But Leaf believes Tuesday's momentous UEFA meeting could set the tone for the leagues to follow. “It’s interesting to note the definition of the season and having that caveat in there that lets the league decide otherwise, expressly in terms of that definition,” he told Record Sport . 

“In England, there isn’t that caveat. The season starts on the date of the first game and ends on the date of the last game. “In some ways you could argue that the league has a bit more leeway in Scotland than they do down south. “Having said that, I suspect there could be a similar provision in Scotland that we have down here, which basically says any club can challenge a decision of the league if it’s so unreasonable, no reasonable league would have come to that decision. The clubs would then have to prove that the decision was unreasonable.

“In England, and to an extent in Scotland it’s pretty clear who’s going to win the top leagues. However, beyond that everything is still up for grabs. “I think it would be very difficult for the league, certainly down here, to say ‘lets end the season now and keep the standings as they are today’. “Or what some other clubs are saying is that lets just pretend that the season didn’t even happen. 

“But we have to wait to see what happens on Tuesday with UEFA. It’s being widely touted that they’ll delay the European Championships for another year and it wouldn’t surprise me following that, if they then delay some of the other European competitions this season. “They could easily do that for next season as well.

“So UEFA are effectively clearing the calendar, acknowledging that no football is going to take place over the next few months, then there’s no reason why the current season can’t be extended into what would ordinarily be the summer period or the start of next season. “The league would have a harder argument if they are bound to tell the European authorities who’s playing in the European competitions if that’s what’s being expected from UEFA.

“But if UEFA themselves are acknowledging that football isn’t going to be played and their own competitions are going to be delayed, then it’s harder for the leagues to justify a decision to end the season now rather than trying to complete it, or at least waiting to see what happens for a few weeks and months.” 
Another avenue open to clubs could be a challenge based on loss of revenue as a result of any decision, which could be pursued via an independent arbitrator such as CAS or via a civil claim.

Mr Leaf continued: “That’s where the final direction of travel would be form a process perspective. They would challenge the decision with an arbitration board they would be able to go to. An independent arbitrator would then make a decision as to whether they were justified to end the season or not. “Depending on how that turns out, they could then look at other civil claims to say they’ve lost this amount of revenue as a result of this decision. “The problem they’ll face is that the clubs have signed up to the leagues rules agreeing that the league can make any decision and act in any way that it wants.

“It would be difficult for them to be able to prove that that’s the case. Ultimately in any kind of sports law, it’s down to the contractual relationship clubs have with the league where, by signing up and participating, they’ve agreed to the league rules. Those give the league pretty wide powers to make these kind of decisions. “Having said that, for reasons I’ve mentioned before, I’d be surprised if they didn’t try and challenge on the basis that it wasn’t a reasonable decision and there were other options that were available.” It’s not just clubs who could be lawyering up either, with sponsors able to challenge outcomes that may see agreements cut short. “We act for a lot of sponsors as well,” said Mr Leaf. “They’re asking ‘do we still need to make payments, do we still need to keep going with contracts when we won’t be receiving any kind of benefit from it?’

“In short the answer is yes depending on what the contract says. Often these clauses will force sponsors to make payments in advance and will make it clear that the only way out is if something happens that’s beyond their reasonable control. “From a league’s perspective, clearly something like this is beyond their reasonable control. Therefore, by not delivering the matches they promised, that’s not within their control. “From a sponsor or broadcasting perspective, it is within their control to keep paying. That’s their obligation.

“For example Liverpool announced their moving from New Balance to Nike as a kit supplier, while celtic have gone with Adidas. “Depending on how those contracts have been drafted, there is a risk that two suppliers will argue they have the rights for the same period if the existing agreement says that a supplier has the right until the end of the 2019/20 season but the agreement with the new supplier says the new agreement starts from a specific date."

Source: https://www.BOYCOTT THIS LINK/sport/football/football-news/spfl-caveat-legal-expert-lays-21696989

48 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Just seen a survey on Sky 51% null and void 

All the others are split 

3 hours ago, BookWorm said:

Yes it should be put to a democratic vote for all the clubs in the top flight. As simple as possible... ' Should the league be made null and void this season or should honours be awarded, and relegations applied as current positions stand.'

What relegations would apply? There is no automatic 2 up 2 down. So would you relegate Hamilton and deny teams in play-off  position the chance to gain promotion? 
It’s not that simple to award honours and apply relegation and promotion as it stands. 
Null and void may be harsh on some teams that are in a good position to win honours, but at least it’s fair to all clubs. 
Awarding honours and applying relegation and promotion, against the rules of the league that all clubs signed up to, is both harsh and unfair to many clubs. 

2 hours ago, Willis said:

Folk are going back to the boycott era on here pondering over every aspect and interpretation of the rules and shit. Do yourselves a favour and just sit back and see what happens cause what they decide, even if it is unfair, is what will happen because you know our Board won't stand up and that the others will certainly bow down.

These cunts have proved time and time again that the rules mean nothing and they just make it up as they go along.

If I had to make a bet on what will happen I reckon that the taigs will be awarded the title of the games can't continue, and we won't be able to do a damn thing about it because they have too much power in Scottish football and we are weak as a club

One good reason we would say nothing as a club is there are more important things going on than just a tainted run of victories 

30 40 years down the line any tarrier going on about a 9 10 etc in a row would easily be shot down in flames ,

Aye that was the run when you got gifted a title before the season was finished because of the great virus of 2020 while you ignored the victims of your peadophile ring 

6 minutes ago, James Rolle said:

What relegations would apply? There is no automatic 2 up 2 down. So would you relegate Hamilton and deny teams in play-off  position the chance to gain promotion? 
It’s not that simple to award honours and apply relegation and promotion as it stands. 
Null and void may be harsh on some teams that are in a good position to win honours, but at least it’s fair to all clubs. 
Awarding honours and applying relegation and promotion, against the rules of the league that all clubs signed up to, is both harsh and unfair to many clubs. 

rIq6ASPIqo2k0.gif.e069535db64d27f0883e826d560e8d40.gif

Archived