The league must be voided

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

Tbh I can see why they don’t want a bar of your site then.

I can see why they were annoyed by it too, we apologised to them and actually stopped using the freelancer (coincidentally hearts did and continue to also employ him) as a result. 

We weren't made aware of any embargo by him when he sent his copy in and when asked he said he wasn't aware of one either. Easy mistake to make and hasn't happened since despite us attending as many as 30 different pressers each week for the last eight or nine months 

3 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I'm not being funny but you're quoting specifics on rules, definitions etc on one hand to say rules are being adhered to then giving a definitive answer on another without knowing if rules cover it based on a comment from someone.

Thats shoddy.

Because I was given a definitive answer to one and not the other. Will hopefully get one tomorrow though. 

Scottish football is facing a call to declare the current campaign null and void due to the coronavirus outbreak.

According to the Press Association at least one Scottish Premiership club is ready to demand SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster cancels the season if it cannot be completed, after all football in Scotland was postponed on Friday "until further notice".

A source told PA: "We don't see how titles, promotion or relegation can be agreed on any basis of sporting fairness."

They added: "Perhaps prize money can be split on the basis of the current table.

"But the league should be ruled void and we start next season as we commenced this one.

"Making the season void is the best of a bunch of bad choices."

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

I believe UEFA will set a deadline for domestic associations to have their league and cup competitions ended by (probably July 31st). If they can't play games before that date, they'll be told to enforce whatever provisions they have in their rulebook or come up with a satisfactory resolution with their members. UEFA may even set up a special arbitration panel as a result for any disputes. If domestic cups aren't resolved, Euro places will go the the relevant team per each FAs rules and the various UEFA competitions for 19/20 will be scrapped with coefficient points frozen and unearned prize money distributed across FAs using some sort of formula to help them with the financial problems several months of no football has brought.

In terms of scottish domestic cups, they'll be scrapped with no winner named. So, yeah, there will be no treble although existing league standing will be frozen and considered the final standings for 19/20.

Cheers Dude. But it's your understanding that, if they have a choice, the spfl will choose to end the league now and award based on league positions rather than try to play during july and finish league fixtures?

1 minute ago, Amato said:

Scottish football is facing a call to declare the current campaign null and void due to the coronavirus outbreak.

According to the Press Association at least one Scottish Premiership club is ready to demand SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster cancels the season if it cannot be completed, after all football in Scotland was postponed on Friday "until further notice".

A source told PA: "We don't see how titles, promotion or relegation can be agreed on any basis of sporting fairness."

They added: "Perhaps prize money can be split on the basis of the current table.

"But the league should be ruled void and we start next season as we commenced this one.

I believe that's Ann Budge but may be wrong. 

Just now, Amato said:

Not sure how accurate this is lol

34F1D2F4-226E-45A4-90F8-58F6B2C30948.jpeg

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Mind ask how 38 games shall be played in a season with potentially less than 38 games 👍

Ive already explained it. Several times. It's since been backed up by a sports lawyer quoted in the Daily Record this afternoon as well as a lawyer I spoke to about it. 

The league have the discretion to end the season early. 

4 minutes ago, Amato said:

Must be Jambos . All the rest will self interest as per usual or side with the bheasts

2 minutes ago, writingranger said:

Cheers Dude. But it's your understanding that, if they have a choice, the spfl will choose to end the league now and award based on league positions rather than try to play during july and finish league fixtures?

Because their belief is that there won't be an opportunity to play in July. The consensus seems to be around clubs that it's August at the earliest. 

With nine rounds of games left, there will also be worries over players fitness trying to cram those games in, then going straight into the new league season 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I can see why they were annoyed by it too, we apologised to them and actually stopped using the freelancer (coincidentally hearts did and continue to also employ him) as a result. 

We weren't made aware of any embargo by him when he sent his copy in and when asked he said he wasn't aware of one either. Easy mistake to make and hasn't happened since despite us attending as many as 30 different pressers each week for the last eight or nine months 

Was it an embargoed release? Not sure how they missed it if that is the case 😂 

1 minute ago, KingKirk said:

I think it could be us I'd be delighted if so as I expect us to do absolutely nothing until we get shafted

Don't think we'd put it out through the PA. Ours would likely come from one of the journos friendly with King. 

With the stuff from Hearts earlier coming out about a possible legal challenge and then blind quotes saying void it, it makes me think its them

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Ive already explained it. Several times. It's since been backed up by a sports lawyer quoted in the Daily Record this afternoon as well as a lawyer I spoke to about it. 

No you've explained the definition.

Not how that definition of ,"season" can be transposed in to C13.  For brevity, that 38 games shall be played in a season (of anything up to 38 games).

8 minutes ago, writingranger said:

I can’t see uefa saying extend the leagues when player contracts will already be ended by set dates.

It’s a no win situation for the SPFL board, call of bias from either side when the decision is made. If they are given the title then there will be an asterisk alongside it and will be tainted. 

Not a hope in hell that the remaining games will be played before August so they need to make a decision about it eventually. League is tight for relegation, playoff and European place so there will be zero consensus from the clubs. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

In my experience, you can ask the same lawyer a question twice & get two differing answers. 
Very often, the answer will be sympathetic to the person asking the question (I.e. feeding what they want to hear).

Very frequently, the actual answer is the one thrashed out in court.

’Backed up’ in this case is speculative at best (or worst...)

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Was it an embargoed release? Not sure how they missed it if that is the case 😂 

Post match quotes from a player presser. Went out 24 hours earlier. 

Presser embargoes are fucking weird. No problem with releases and actual press calls being embargoed but find having player quotes after a game - and then they go speak to club media anyway who don't have an embargo and give 95% identical answers - they are pointless. 

I actually quite like working with some of the smaller teams who don't have nation dailies attend pressers because if it's only a weekly local there then it's a free-for-all. 

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

No you've explained the definition.

Not how that definition of ,"season" can be transposed in to C13.  For brevity, that 38 games shall be played in a season (of anything up to 38 games).

C13 is irrelevant to crowning the champion. And determining final positions. 

3 minutes ago, HG5 said:

In my experience, you can ask the same lawyer a question twice & get two differing answers. 
Very often, the answer will be sympathetic to the person asking the question (I.e. feeding what they want to hear).

Very frequently, the actual answer is the one thrashed out in court.

’Backed up’ in this case is speculative at best (or worst...)

Totally agree. The one I asked privately, I have a lifelong relationship with, so trust they're not 'playing' me with their response. 

The answer is almost certainly the one decided in court in this case. Tbh, I've said all along that it will be open to challenge, although I'm far from convinced any challenge would succeed. 

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

C13 is irrelevant to crowning the champion. And determining final positions. 

But its crucial in terms of number of games in a season, following which champion club elected,  or it wouldnt be there. Like you mentioned dates didnt specify exact dates.

If a team win the league when a season ends, and 38 games shall be played in that season then that's simple. If its 38 games shall be played in a season but a season is actually up to 38 games that's contradictory.

I'm sure you see that, cant really explain it, but may indeed not see it as relevant. If it's not them I'm hopeful your folk tomorrow could qualify why the definition of season cant be transposed into a rule specifying a specific number of games.

Archived