Ally Maxwell: was he any good?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bang average for me and him playing through an injury for Motherwell in the 1991 Scottish Cup win probably gave him an elevated opinion of his actual abilities. Don’t get me wrong not the worst goalie I have seen but nowhere near the best either. Some might see it differently though 👍

1 minute ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Fuck sake MisterC you told me no arguing on another thread and here you are trying to start a fucking riot 😂😂😂👍

Not at all, I am being serious. Only the Goalie, Woods, and Shagger are above him in my book. 

17 minutes ago, MisterC said:

4th best keeper in last 30 years I would say 

Actually that’s a point worth thinking about.

In all my time, I’d rank the Rangers keepers I’ve seen something like this...

Goram, McGregor, Klos, Woods, McCloy, Kennedy, Waterreus, Alexander, Wes, Maxwell

Can’t  say either of the frog keepers left an impression, Bell was fucking hopeless and I’m sure there was another youngster I've forgotten.

Oh and of course...

0269BD7E-E14F-488B-A4EB-837BA58F69B5.thumb.jpeg.569ebb4d72b544181da1d96c0e3349b0.jpeg

Just now, Colin Traive said:

Actually that’s a point worth thinking about.

In all my time, I’d rank the Rangers keepers I’ve seen something like this...

Goram, McGregor, Klos, Woods, McCloy, Kennedy, Waterreus, Alexander, Wes, Maxwell

Can’t  say either of the frog keepers left an impression, Bell was fucking hopeless and I’m sure there was another youngster I've forgotten. 

I know he didnt play many games but Niemi would be in there for me

17 minutes ago, MisterC said:

4th best keeper in last 30 years I would say

3 minutes ago, MisterC said:

Not at all, I am being serious. Only the Goalie, Woods, and Shagger are above him in my book. 

Cant be having him ahead of Klos surely mate? 

5 minutes ago, MisterC said:

Fod is better than Ally Maxwell was and I'm no kidding. Never rated him, mind you being Goram's understudy must have been hard.

29 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Bang average for me and him playing through an injury for Motherwell in the 1991 Scottish Cup win probably gave him an elevated opinion of his actual abilities. Don’t get me wrong not the worst goalie I have seen but nowhere near the best either. Some might see it differently though 👍

He played 75 minutes of a cup final with broken ribs and a ruptured spleen ffs!  You make it sound like the physio gave him a quick spray of ralgex.

That being said compared to Goram he was pretty rubbish.

Just now, miracle said:

He played 75 minutes of a cup final with broken ribs and a ruptured spleen ffs!  You make it sound like the physio gave him a quick spray of ralgex.

That being said compared to Goram he was pretty rubbish.

You are right. He was whacked by John Clark, it’s a miracle he survived 😂

1 minute ago, MisterC said:

Think you're right. That was a great kit though, have to say most of kits we had in 90s were fucking smart 

Aye, one of those games that always stick in memory for some reason. Only thing I really remember was the big embroidered trophy on the jersey and that fucking goal. 

We were spoiled with some of them. I liked all of the Adidas ones. Probably helps who was wearing them mind you

10 minutes ago, MisterC said:

He was let down by the shit back pass he got, absolute hospital ball.

Was never the same after that mix up that lost us the 94 final, seemed to make a series of errors including another at Tynecastle that sticks in my mind. Think everyone was glad when Goram got fit again and took the No1 jersey back!

Archived