Sign in to follow this  
The Widow's Son

Ally Maxwell: was he any good?

He was shite a total waste of space'.

1. Andy Goran -A gift from God.

2.Stefan Kloss-Champions League winner.

3. Lionel Charbonnier-World Cup winner.

4.Graham Roberts- Cameo roll but what a choirmaster.

That's 4 in the last 30 years that are above Maxwell and there are many more.

Antti Niemmi, Nicky Walker, Boni Ginzburg etc..

Copland bear and Kaydubya11 like this

Wasn't the worst, as Gers keepers go, probably on a par with the likes of Nicky Walker and Bonni Ginzburg.

Nowhere near as good as Woods, Goram, Klos, McGregor.

Anti Niemi was decent, but improved big time when he went down South.

In one season in particular, he was the best keeper in the Premiership.

Edit* Maxwell and McPherson cost us the double treble in SCF v Dundee Hibs in 1994.

Kaydubya11 and delparlane like this

1 hour ago, The Widow's Son said:

Disappointed to note that no one mentioned the late, great Norrie Martin.

Was a great keeper but suffered as understudy to Billy Ritchie for most of the 60’s.  Think he only made about 70 + appearances for us but one of those was the European Cup Winners cup final finished 0-0 after 90 minutes but Bayern scored in extra time.

Forgot to say that Bayern team included Sepp Maier, Franz Beckenbauer and Gerd Muller amongst others.😧

delparlane and Kaydubya11 like this

On 17/03/2020 at 23:52, MisterC said:

Not at all, I am being serious. Only the Goalie, Woods, and Shagger are above him in my book. 

Klos, Charbonnier and Neimi were all much better.

Kaydubya11 and badjon like this

Ally was a decent keeper on his day but prone to too many silly mistakes and would seem to bottle it on occasion. Not one ofRangers best keepers by a long chalk.

Kaydubya11 likes this

I remember Maxwell making a lot of clangers maybe that's my memory I dunno but i didn't rate the guy. He had a disaster against them at Ibrox one day I'm sure in a 1-2 defeat

Copland bear likes this

On 18/03/2020 at 22:06, heathen fish boy said:

harsh on anyone to say that

I actually thought Nicky Walker wasnt too bad a goalie in a pretty poor team 

On 17/03/2020 at 23:52, MisterC said:

Not at all, I am being serious. Only the Goalie, Woods, and Shagger are above him in my book. 

Even Andy Dibble was better 😜

Klos and Charbonier were a class above Ally Maxwell 

He’s better than Fod though but not by an awful lot 

On 18/03/2020 at 21:05, Jack C said:

He was shite a total waste of space'.

1. Andy Goran -A gift from God.

2.Stefan Kloss-Champions League winner.

3. Lionel Charbonnier-World Cup winner.

4.Graham Roberts- Cameo roll but what a choirmaster.

That's 4 in the last 30 years that are above Maxwell and there are many more.

Antti Niemmi, Nicky Walker, Boni Ginzburg etc..

Ah the late Boni Ginsburg 

Gave me one if my most memorable memories of football ,The day where Mo Johnson scores that winner against them me and my mate couldn’t get a ticket so we went to the reserve game at the piggery ,

Ginzburg took a sore one and was down injured ,the taigs were giving him pelters from the terraces He jumped up and ran over onto the ball picked it up and booted it into the crowd as hard as an Albertz free kick then collapsed again in a heap in agony 😂

delparlane and Blue Rino like this

i liked him, as a 2nd choice goalkeeper he was quite lucky in terms of appearances but i cant remember him ever letting us down when called upon

The guy was a disaster between the sticks, came in when Goram was injured and gave away a lot of goals Goram would have saved easily.  

Never liked him as a reserve keeper then and certainly don't rate him now 

15 hours ago, magic8ball said:

Ah the late Boni Ginsburg 

Gave me one if my most memorable memories of football ,The day where Mo Johnson scores that winner against them me and my mate couldn’t get a ticket so we went to the reserve game at the piggery ,

Ginzburg took a sore one and was down injured ,the taigs were giving him pelters from the terraces He jumped up and ran over onto the ball picked it up and booted it into the crowd as hard as an Albertz free kick then collapsed again in a heap in agony 😂

Boni Ginsburg is still alive, it was Avi Cohen who died.

Two memories of Maxwell - him and big Sadie McPherson costing us a double Treble, and Bomber coming to Maxwell’s rescue when a tarrier attacked him at the Piggery, like yer da sorting out someone who was bullying you when you were a wean.

delparlane likes this

20 hours ago, harlands plater said:

Boni Ginsburg is still alive, it was Avi Cohen who died.

Two memories of Maxwell - him and big Sadie McPherson costing us a double Treble, and Bomber coming to Maxwell’s rescue when a tarrier attacked him at the Piggery, like yer da sorting out someone who was bullying you when you were a wean.

Bonber took nae fucking prisoners from that lot. Could use a few dozen more with his mindset  nowadays.

I’d say Maxwell was a very good goalkeeper in a team under a lot of pressure or with a lot of involvement in the match.

It takes a certain kind of keeper to succeed at Ibrox. One who can do little for much of the game then maintain the concentration to pull of that world class save when needed.

It took Fod time to get used to it and even The Goalie had a few howlers at first before becoming the greatest ever.

That is McGregor’s biggest strength. Maxwell didn’t have that but was very good for Motherwell and Dundee United.