Favorite non Rangers player.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Difficult to choose from. 

Some of my favourites... Pirlo, Redondo, Savicevic, Cannavaro, Totti, Raul, Henry, Pires, Bergkamp, Vieira, del Piero, Nedved.

I think my top three of all time would be Zinedine Zidane, Paolo Maldini and Javier Zanetti.

You have a soft spot for Juve tae mate? 

Footballer: Johan Neeskens. 

Runners up: Zidane, Kempes, Bonhof and Causio.

Favourtite Character: Maradona.

To be fair though, that's mostly  respect, nostalgia and sentiment. 

Football wise Ronaldo and Messi are on a totally different planet, which I suspect will never be matched. 

13 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Some of my favourites... Pirlo, Redondo, Savicevic, Cannavaro, Totti, Raul, Henry, Pires, Bergkamp, Vieira, del Piero, Nedved.

I think my top three of all time would be Zinedine Zidane, Paolo Maldini and Javier Zanetti.

I know he wasn't the greatest but I also loved watching him play.

19 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

That's a terific post @McEwan's Lager

I'm liking it a lot.

Brazilian Ronaldo is my favourite of all time. He was the player that got me into football at the 98 world cup as a kid. In between now and currently there have been so many I loved watching. I'd say my current favourite is De Bruyne, as mentioned by a few others, outside Messi & Ronaldo he is up there for me!

A mention just for Mendieta now I was only 7 or 8 when he played against us but it's the first time as a kid I noticed a player from another team, you know as a child it's just Rangers, Rangers, Rangers. He just seemed to always have the ball and be doing something with it. Correct me if I'm wrong people who might remeber his performance better than me, I was just a kid😂

I don't know if it is the fog of time, the fact the internet has taken away any wonder about players, or just he standard of top players has rose to a bit of a plateau where outside of Messi and Ronaldo, nobody has really been that bit extra special relative to their peers - as even "good" players now, through professionalism, tactics, fitness, discipline, and football intelligence, are not far behind the exceptional players - top coaching and dedication can make a top player out of somebody who is merely a good talent, and the games evolved to players fulfilling a roll in a team - rather than individual brilliance. 

I reckon 20-25 years ago there were more players I'd pay to see. 

Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Totti, Baggio, Romario, Batistuta, Hagi - and that is just some. 

I dunno, there just seemed to be more top tier players, who were that little bit extra special relative to their peers,  20 years ago. 

9 hours ago, tannerall said:

Footballer: Johan Neeskens. 

Runners up: Zidane, Kempes, Bonhof and Causio.

Favourtite Character: Maradona.

To be fair though, that's mostly  respect, nostalgia and sentiment. 

Football wise Ronaldo and Messi are on a totally different planet, which I suspect will never be matched. 

The Maradona documentary about his time at Napoli is on Channel 4 , Saturday. It's a tremendous two hours.  A must watch.

13 hours ago, jackg93 said:

Always had a soft spot for Philip Lahm. Unbelievable footballer

Watched footage of Rangers v Stuttgart (at least I think that's who it was) in the early 2000s last year and Lahm was playing, sure it was Ally McCoist was commentating and said he was the weak link and that he was too small to be a fullback.

Should've known from then that he would never be a manager.

10 hours ago, bluenoz said:

I know he wasn't the greatest but I also loved watching him play.

Unplayable in 2001/02. I loved watching him on the right more than on the left. Yes he was more effective cutting in from the left for Arsenal but his crosses from deep when on the right were fucking outrageous. Simple things like that are why I love football.

Archived