Sign in to follow this  
stuart1994

Favorite non Rangers player.

Cannot list one but a front five of the greatest attacking team ever. Shamelessly lifted from Wikpedia.  I’d never seen football like that before and sadly never since. The Brazil team of the 1970 World Cup. Even the fullbacks were lethal but......

The Brazilian front five of Jairzinho, Pelé, Gérson, Tostão and Rivelino were all Number 10s in their own right and together they created an irresistible attacking momentum, with Pelé having central role in Brazil's way to the final, playing a part in 14 of Brazil's 19 goals in the tournament

32Blue and Blumhoilann like this

4 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Rui Costa. Very under rated but a class act of a player. 

So good he basically kept Rivaldo out the Milan team just after the 2002 World Cup where Rivaldo was one of the best players in the tournament and the world in general.

18 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Difficult to choose from. 

Some of my favourites... Pirlo, Redondo, Savicevic, Cannavaro, Totti, Raul, Henry, Pires, Bergkamp, Vieira, del Piero, Nedved.

I think my top three of all time would be Zinedine Zidane, Paolo Maldini and Javier Zanetti.

Dissapointed no Riquelme in that list.

18 hours ago, tannerall said:

Footballer: Johan Neeskens. 

Runners up: Zidane, Kempes, Bonhof and Causio.

Favourtite Character: Maradona.

To be fair though, that's mostly  respect, nostalgia and sentiment. 

Football wise Ronaldo and Messi are on a totally different planet, which I suspect will never be matched. 

Ronaldinho was some player too mate. 

12 hours ago, Badger said:

I don't know if it is the fog of time, the fact the internet has taken away any wonder about players, or just he standard of top players has rose to a bit of a plateau where outside of Messi and Ronaldo, nobody has really been that bit extra special relative to their peers - as even "good" players now, through professionalism, tactics, fitness, discipline, and football intelligence, are not far behind the exceptional players - top coaching and dedication can make a top player out of somebody who is merely a good talent, and the games evolved to players fulfilling a roll in a team - rather than individual brilliance. 

I reckon 20-25 years ago there were more players I'd pay to see. 

Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Totti, Baggio, Romario, Batistuta, Hagi - and that is just some. 

I dunno, there just seemed to be more top tier players, who were that little bit extra special relative to their peers,  20 years ago. 

Aye,today's game seems to kill the individual,all about the team. Younguns should look at the Brazil team of the 1970 World Cup 😉 

32Blue likes this

7 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Yeah him too. Left off a few others... Rui Costa, Aimar, Nesta, Dino Baggio, Leonardo, Litmanen, le Tissier, Šuker, Mijatovic, Zamorano, Seedorf.

👏👏 bringing bacon some cracking memories of players 

can see a wee YouTube binge the night. 

8 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Yeah him too. Left off a few others... Rui Costa, Aimar, Nesta, Dino Baggio, Leonardo, Litmanen, le Tissier, Šuker, Mijatovic, Zamorano, Seedorf.

Valencia guy? Always signed him on LMA 03

There’s a lot of players over the years I really liked watching too whose careers stalled, injuries ruined them, or don’t get the credit they deserve. 

Alin Stoica, Seb Deisler, Wynton Rufer are three examples for those categories.

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I still have that full game on VHS somewhere.

That Lyon team were phenomenal, us beating them 3-0 at their own ground is still the best result by a Scottish side in Europe for as long as I can remember imo. 

ForeverAndEver likes this