Footballers Who Were Superstars Beyond Being Just Footballers

tannerall

(Think my title might not be adequate, struggling a bit, can't quite word it right, but you'll know what I mean, simply footballers whose sum was greater than their footballing parts, and for better or worse)

First: Maradona. 

Larger than life character, was a national hero in Argentina, rags to riches career, basically ran Napoli football club for a few seasons, world wide superstar. Greatest ever character (for better or worse) in football. 

Second: Cantona

Controverial, artistic, arrogant his own man, culturally sound, stood apart from every team he played for, yet justified himself on and off the park. 

Third: Beckham

Difficult choice, but was boy hero, saviour of the the England team, married a Spice girl, was public enemy number one for a period when he was sent off in World Cup, national hero when he scored a penalty (against Argentina), media luvvy,. 

Others: Baggio (zen buddhist, national hero), Pele (the original football great in the media age), Puskas (football legend). And Messi and Ronaldo (rivalry and sheer brilliance on the media focused modern football stage) 

4 minutes ago, LV said:

George Best 

Losing my touch, of course,shagged two Miss Worlds, a man of ultimate charm and magnificent quotes, and footballing brilliance, and the most durable liver of any sportsman.

On 20/03/2020 at 09:36, Badger said:

Vinnie Jones

Although now he advertise Ssangyong cars in TV, so fair to say any star has faded.

Probably the most (for me anyway) unexpected career change for a footballer i've seen. Would never have thought he would appear in so many big budget movies.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived