Jim Bett

Just watched a clip from a Euro game in 1982, Cooper and DJ scored in a great game.  I'd forgotten all about Jim Bett.  How long did he last at Ibrox?  He was a canny player.  I seem to remember him playing for Scotland in a World Cup tournament at one point.  Grateful for the clip from The Ibrox Derry.  A treat for us elderly exiles.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

Just watched a clip from a Euro game in 1982, Cooper and DJ scored in a great game.  I'd forgotten all about Jim Bett.  How long did he last at Ibrox?  He was a canny player.  I seem to remember him playing for Scotland in a World Cup tournament at one point.  Grateful for the clip from The Ibrox Derry.  A treat for us elderly exiles.

Does anyone know where @siddiqi_drinker has been? He hasn't posted in a while.  I think he used to post from the West coast of Canada.

A very good player, would be worth £££ millions nowadays.

An elegant midfielder, for a big guy, he glided on the pitch at times.

Always played well against us in later years when he was with Aberdeen.

Played for Lokeren at a time when Belgian football had a big presence on the European stage with the likes of Mechelen, Standard Liege, Gent, and Anderlecht.

Played at Italy 1990, and maybe in the squad for Mexico 86.

32 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

A very good player, would be worth £££ millions nowadays.

An elegant midfielder, for a big guy, he glided on the pitch at times.

Always played well against us in later years when he was with Aberdeen.

Played for Lokeren at a time when Belgian football had a big presence on the European stage with the likes of Mechelen, Standard Liege, Gent, and Anderlecht.

Played at Italy 1990, and maybe in the squad for Mexico 86.

Icelandic cup winner as well, still a bit of a strange direction, think he moved there for fitness more than anything else - the standard at that time was absolutely rock bottom. 

Last cap in the fateful Costa Rica match.

7 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Jazzer.

Liked him right up to the point he joined the sheep.

Dead to me after that.

Right after a cup final as well if I remember, no speculation or hint he was going, first I heard he had signed.

Classy footballer.

4 hours ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Icelandic cup winner as well, still a bit of a strange direction, think he moved there for fitness more than anything else - the standard at that time was absolutely rock bottom. 

Last cap in the fateful Costa Rica match.

I think his wife came from Iceland so that might explain the winners medal. 

6 hours ago, trueblue 64 said:

Pretty certain he was at the sheep before us and used to get the same shite as Jack gets now.

Nope he turned us down to sign for Aberdeen from lockern where he returned after leaving us. It was a big mistake as Souness took over at Ibrox within weeks and rest is history 

I loved Jim Bett! Seemed to recall him scoring a cracker in the League Cup Final we lost to them in 83? Also remember when he left he appeared to be complaining about struggling in the Old Firm goldfish bowl which is Glasgow. I was gutted when he left. Great player and could have easily stayed a few more seasons and won things.

3 minutes ago, 2nd Flute said:

90f4e56827df8f21ba9bde4e11dfeb4c.jpg

My first strip that ,well first proper strip ,a year earlier I begged my mum for a strip and she came back with one of the copies that Littlewoods used to sell ,I was ragin coz    my old man was working on the rigs in the Middle East at the time and was raking it in 😡😂

1 minute ago, magic8ball said:

My first strip that ,well first proper strip ,a year earlier I begged my mum for a strip and she came back with one of the copies that Littlewoods used to sell ,I was ragin coz    my old man was working on the rigs in the Middle East at the time and was raking it in 😡😂

😀 my wee maw bought me a copy, coral, I think the name was, I noticed it right away and went in a huff 😀, got the real one, to this day, its still my favourite Rangers top, would love to see us wearing something like that 👍

Archived