Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tannerall

Where's The Most Unlikely Or Trivial Place You've Seen A Gers Player ?

Recommended Posts


John Brown twice, once in Greggs at Hairmyres a couple of weeks ago and once in a pub in Carnoustie around 1991.

But the best was shaking hands with Souness and saying thank you to him at the Holiday Inn (now the Marriott) the day we beat the scum 5-1 (the Wilkins goal). Think we had a few staying there and they were enjoying a pint.

tannerall likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

John Brown twice, once in Greggs at Hairmyres a couple of weeks ago and once in a pub in Carnoustie around 1991.

But the best was shaking hands with Souness and saying thank you to him at the Holiday Inn (now the Marriott) the day we beat the scum 5-1 (the Wilkins goal). Think we had a few staying there and they were enjoying a pint.

You're missing the point of the thread. You need to add some localised interest and character, a true insight in to the personality

Did he buy any sausage rolls ?    What kind of beer did he drink ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, tannerall said:

You're missing the point of the thread. You need to add some localised interest and character, a true insight in to the personality

Did he buy any sausage rolls ?    What kind of beer did he drink ?

Apologies.

Brown was indeed buying two sausage rolls in Greggs and was drinking McEwans lager in Carnoustie. Bought me a pint too, true gent👍 Introduced by mutual mate, big Ian McDonald ex Dee centre half.

Forgot to say, with Souness, it was in the gents toilet after we’d both finished and washed our hands!

:lol:

tannerall and Kaydubya11 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amato in Texas homecare in milngavie. It became Homebase. He was buying a mop. I had just bought a rabbit I called lorenzo because I'd bumped into him the day before at the Tesco checkout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colin Traive said:

Apologies.

Brown was indeed buying two sausage rolls in Greggs and was drinking McEwans lager in Carnoustie. Bought me a pint too, true gent👍 Introduced by mutual mate, big Ian McDonald ex Dee centre half.

Forgot to say, with Souness, it was in the gents toilet after we’d both finished and washed our hands!

:lol:

You washed each other's hands. With your trouser legs rolled up?

Colin Traive likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wasn’t so much of a shock to see him in a hotel..

but about 4/5 years ago I came up for a game and stayed at the Glasgow city hotel just off Sauchiehall street think it’s a Hilton now.. but went out after the game and the next morning popped over to greggs and when I came back to the hotel was waiting for the lift and when the doors opened Brian Laudrup walked out, was stunned! Didn’t even get a picture because I left my phone in the room! And I was still pretty steaming and looked a right jake!

SteveEarle likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was over in Germany for the moenchengladbach v Rangers game in 86/87, I was in a restaurant with my boss and a colleague when John Greig walked in on his own, he was working for Dixon Travel..My colleague and boss knew him so asked him to join us for dinner. Was in Dublin in the late 80s and Aberdeen were in town. Went to our hotel bar with my boss and Alex Ferguson who was the Man U manager at the time was sitting there on his own with a beer, my boss knew him so we joined him for a beer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Met Tav in braehead last year.. solid big lad .

Met alex Rae in the loft in Ashton lane 15 years ago on a monday afternoon . He wasnt drinking .

Met willie Johnston outside the district having a smoke about 10 years ago 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many years ago 50+, I used to follow Rangers everywhere in Scotland and England for pre season friendliest etc. In these days and because my old man worked  in the railway I got privileged rail travel concessions. I could get a return ticket for the price of about 50% child single. I think. Anyway in these days the Rangers players travelled by train often and there were opportunities to mingle with them on the platform of the stations, Queen St/Central. My biggest memory was chatting to Davie Provan. He was a quiet big guy but great with the fans. Great memories.

Amokachi likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Served Archie Knox when I worked in phone sales. He just needed help with getting his new phone set up.

What a gent. At this point we didn’t know who our manager was going to be, and he was asking me to show him how to delete texts and emails to save space. I saw he was texting Sir Alex and asked if he’d mind if I sent a text to him to see if he’d take the job.

Then Craig Brown texted him as we were talking and I said ‘please don’t text him about the job’ and he replied ‘I don’t think so!’

Top guy who was all too happy to sit and blether.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/03/2020 at 13:26, Redwhiteandblue said:

Seen Albertz in a pub at Arrochar. My mate says he goes in all the time, doesn't drink but smokes lol

Met Albertz at some event in the Victoria Halls in Helensburgh, he drinks alright!  Bottle of Becks in one hand and a fag in the other!

Also met Erik Bo Andersen in strange circumstances.  Was playing a bowls match at Helensburgh High Green and he stuck his head over the hedge to watch for a while, I clocked him and gave him a wave.  He pipes up "what is this game?".  Explained, went back to the game and he watched for about 10 minutes or so and he waved and shouted "goodbye" as he left.

Redwhiteandblue likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coopsleftboot said:

Met Albertz at some event in the Victoria Halls in Helensburgh, he drinks alright!  Bottle of Becks in one hand and a fag in the other!

Also met Erik Bo Andersen in strange circumstances.  Was playing a bowls match at Helensburgh High Green and he stuck his head over the hedge to watch for a while, I clocked him and gave him a wave.  He pipes up "what is this game?".  Explained, went back to the game and he watched for about 10 minutes or so and he waved and shouted "goodbye" as he left.

Cant believe he watched for as long as 10 minutes before he left!! 😂😂

 

When I met Albertz, it was in a small restaurant/bar, my mate worked as a barman in there and said he was a regular. Swore he only ever drank orange juice.  Never alcohol.  This was when he was playing for us so possibly when he didn't drink? Couldn't understand why he would happily smoke fags but wouldn't touch the booze. 

Probably could've played a couple seasons more if he never smoked. He left at the perfect time. He was breathing out his arse towards the end of most games In his final season with us. Always remember him crying when he walked off the pitch and the. Big Amo faking tears when he left (the season after I think?) cause how much was written about how much emotion Albertz showed when he left. Should've got a better acting coach lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marky. said:

Served Archie Knox when I worked in phone sales. He just needed help with getting his new phone set up.

What a gent. At this point we didn’t know who our manager was going to be, and he was asking me to show him how to delete texts and emails to save space. I saw he was texting Sir Alex and asked if he’d mind if I sent a text to him to see if he’d take the job.

Then Craig Brown texted him as we were talking and I said ‘please don’t text him about the job’ and he replied ‘I don’t think so!’

Top guy who was all too happy to sit and blether.

You should've written a better text!! 

You are the reason we never had Sir Alex Ferguson as our manager. You should be banned immediately!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just joking 😂

But I'll never forgive you either!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 in a row 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

going out to cyprus earlyish flight ,in Boots loading up with sarnies who turns up next to me alan mcgregor with about 4 packs of sarnies ,he was heading out to germany  with the team,leave uis one i said ,bigb smile and replied i,m not eating that sh... he realised my wife was next to me rubbish on the plane ,as long as you come back with a result.we will good luck and he was gone ,the dep. lounge  was packed with blue blazers the whole team was there.cant mind the year but we played st.johnston  l.c. final on the sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Met Sandy Jardine, Tom Forsyth, Derek Johnstone,  Tommy McLean and Peter McCloy coming out the La Scala pictures in Saltcoats. 
 

asked DJ for his autograph and he said “naw”. 
 

big bastard 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Met Gary Stevens in the Pirnhall Inn in Stirling, was out with my Maw and DA, Said to ma Da that it was Gary Stevens, Gary look up but was with his Wife and Family, left them alone to have their scoff, and when I was walking out he turned and said, thanks for not brining it to the attention of the whole boozer, wished him luck for the European Game, Top BLOKE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/03/2020 at 12:09, tannerall said:

Just saw this great wee piece of useless info in the Jim Bett thread, made me chuckle.

So where's the most unlikely or trivial place you saw a Gers player, and what was he doing ?

Durrant, Next in Glasgow shopping with his wife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/03/2020 at 12:15, JCDBigBear said:

Michael Mols on his scooter near Amsterdam.  I was walking to a shop from my hotel and Mols was slowly passing over speed bumps.        He saw my RFC t-shirt and gave me a wave and that big smile.

was on a stag doo, years ago, 8 of in a wee boozer down a side street in Amsterdam, all bears one monday afternoon giving waldy, door opens and Michael Mols looks in bewildered, laughs then comes in with this other guy, as we were belting oot the sash, it was surreal, but he stayed for about ten mins with us, what a guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...