Underated Rangers Players

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Zappa6995 said:

McKinnon and especially Munro 👍

£ for £ Munro must be our best value for money signing  ever, my old man was an Alloa fan and I used to go with him an odd time , at The Recs he was a left winger big Jock converted him to a full back, 30k ish I think he cost.

17 hours ago, tannerall said:

Much the same reason Bobby Russell got none I guess.  Scotland were managed by openly bigoted managers who admitted their hatred in those days

Docherty was an ex cellic player, and too much in favour of English League players.

Ormond relied on English league players too, and was out his depth.

As for Ally McLeod, he genuinely hated us for whatever reason, treated our on form players disgracefully,especially Derek Johnstone. 

Aye, remember Johnstone scored in the three Home Internationals before Argentina and he still didn’t play him there đŸ‘đŸ»

8 hours ago, pcbear said:

£ for £ Munro must be our best value for money signing  ever, my old man was an Alloa fan and I used to go with him an odd time , at The Recs he was a left winger big Jock converted him to a full back, 30k ish I think he cost.

I remember reading £15k in a matchday programme.   Couldn't get a second hand Mondeo for that.

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Blue said:

Aye, remember Johnstone scored in the three Home Internationals before Argentina and he still didn’t play him there đŸ‘đŸ»

Bizarre as he was the strike scoring goals - but just the 2 headers against NI and Wales. Well taken headers in games we were struggling in.

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 19:51, One Jock Wallace said:

Bobby Russell 

A treble winner in his first season aged 20 Bobby went on to serve Rangers for 10 years and inducted in to the Rangers Hall of Fame

He played at both Rangers and Motherwell with Davie copper and gained a League Championship medal, a trio of Scottish Cups and four League Cups

Fondly remembered for his fine goal v PSV in a 3-2 away win

ec1bd6ee58eaeb5f2ebbe93c5a104b75.jpg

downloadfile.bin 111.72 kB · 2 downloads

Never to be forgotten, especially the PSV goal.

Tommy McLean was under rated and the boo boys had a go in his latter years.  A provided of countless goals.  Look at any old films of gaols in that period and his name crops up all the time.  Mclean, 
.. Johnstone, 
.GOAL.

21 hours ago, tannerall said:

Much the same reason Bobby Russell got none I guess.  Scotland were managed by openly bigoted managers who admitted their hatred in those days

Docherty was an ex cellic player, and too much in favour of English League players.

Ormond relied on English league players too, and was out his depth.

As for Ally McLeod, he genuinely hated us for whatever reason, treated our on form players disgracefully,especially Derek Johnstone. 

McLeod picked 3 Rangers players in his 78 World Cup squad and none from the piggery.  Could argue the case for Cooper and maybe Russel and Smith though as we did win the treble 

Lionel Charbonnier

i thought this fella  was superb

that save from Larsson (or was it Sutton?) on 0.55 was phenomenal

i seem to recall he disappeared off the scene for some unknown reason and left under a cloud. Maybe someone on here can fill in the blanks. 

On 23/03/2020 at 10:54, banjobear said:

A bit before my time, but I found this on google:

Glasgow Cup game v celtic played at the end of that 64-65 season, where Davie Provan replaced Norrie Martin in Goal.
Rangers were unfortunately reduced to 9 men through injury when Rodger Hynd (ankle) was taken off and immediately went to hospital, and George McLean (gashed shin) did not reappear for the second half.
This was in the days before substitutes when the injured could not be replaced.
(Typical tactics that the recently appointed celtic manager Jock Stein would employ to gain an advantage)

Goalkeeper Martin also suffered a broken finger, that forced him to swap shirts with Davie Provan going in goals for the start of the second half, and Martin having to play up front as an auxiliary striker for the remainder of the game.
Despite the set backs Rangers played well with winger Davy Wilson excelling at left back.
9 man Rangers in fact opened the scoring with an excellent left footed shot from Willie Henderson.
Auld scored for celtic in 77 minutes, before Chalmers scored the winner after Gemmell's shot had struck the post.

Rangers:
Martin; Provan, Caldow; Greig, McKinnon, Hynd; Henderson, Wood, McLean, Brand, Wilson.
Scorer: Henderson (67)

Attendance: 41,000
Referee: D Weir (Glasgow)

Fuck, I knew Davie Weir was old. Not old enough to ref a game in the 60's though!!

Seriously though, good find. What's the link?

On 23/03/2020 at 11:15, banjobear said:

Although he was voted fans player of the year in  2006-07,  I often thought  Brahim Hemdani  wasn't always appreciated as much  as he deserved to be. I recall many bears feeling he was too negative, however he was instrumental in us reaching the UEFA Cup Final.  Admittedly he wasn't flashy , but he could read a game and break up play.

I think you might just be thinking that Walter Smith underrated him. We all knew his importance as I'm sure Walter did too. We never needed him in the SPL as long as we could get the ball to Boyd, he would usually score, just the same as why Walter never played Boyd in Europe or in OF games unless we were chasing a goal. 

On 24/03/2020 at 19:51, One Jock Wallace said:

Bobby Russell 

A treble winner in his first season aged 20 Bobby went on to serve Rangers for 10 years and inducted in to the Rangers Hall of Fame

He played at both Rangers and Motherwell with Davie copper and gained a League Championship medal, a trio of Scottish Cups and four League Cups

Fondly remembered for his fine goal v PSV in a 3-2 away win

ec1bd6ee58eaeb5f2ebbe93c5a104b75.jpg

downloadfile.bin 111.72 kB · 3 downloads

No bad for a player who was underrated. 

You sure about this? Before my time but he seems to have achieved a lot despite being underrated.  At least you thought that he was.

Anyone older able to say if Bobby Russell was underrated cause I'm finding this hard to believe.  Despite this guy being "underrated", I've heard quite a  bit about him. 

17 hours ago, pcbear said:

Rod wallace cost us nothing and scored 30goals in his first season for us. Next closest is Boumsong who was also free and left 5 months later for £8m. If sr paid him 30k a week then ee made a profit of over £7.5m. 

Those are in my opinion the best ÂŁ for ÂŁ players we have surely ever had?

And did we not get Jim Baxter for something ridiculous? I don't think it was money but I might be thinking of someone else...

4 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Fuck, I knew Davie Weir was old. Not old enough to ref a game in the 60's though!!

Seriously though, good find. What's the link?

I found it via  google https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/outfield-Rangers-players-taking-over-as-goalie.17083/

4 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

You sure about this? Before my time but he seems to have achieved a lot despite being underrated.  At least you thought that he was.

Anyone older able to say if Bobby Russell was underrated cause I'm finding this hard to believe.  Despite this guy being "underrated", I've heard quite a  bit about him. 

Maybe not underated by Bears & the club but he never got one senior cap after 10 years at Ibrox. Even stranger when he was capped at under 21's then nothing after joining us. 

5 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Russell was never at any time underrated by anyone at Rangers, either amongst the coaching staff or support.  He was continuously overlooked by Scotland though mainly because it was thought that Scotland was well off for midfield players, Scotland's loss though because Russell was a superb midfield playmaker, very similar in style to Ian MacMillan from our early 60s team and also John White who played for Spurs and Scotland in the early 60s also. Russell, like Cooper, suffered by the lack of quality at the club under Greig but make no mistake Russell was a class act, Jock Walllace signed him from Shettleston for the princely sum of £250 in 1977.

Rod wallace cost us nothing and scored 30goals in his first season for us. Next closest is Boumsong who was also free and left 5 months later for £8m. If sr paid him 30k a week then ee made a profit of over £7.5m. 

And did we not get Jim Baxter for something ridiculous? I don't think it was money but I might be thinking of someone else...

Baxter was a record Scottish signing at the time, ÂŁ17500 from Raith Rovers

Two good calls but we got 6 or so good steady seasons from Munro near 200 games and sold him for 10 times or more the purchase price, for services rendered I am sticking by my choice.

10 hours ago, beararse said:

Lionel Charbonnier

i thought this fella  was superb

that save from Larsson (or was it Sutton?) on 0.55 was phenomenal

i seem to recall he disappeared off the scene for some unknown reason and left under a cloud. Maybe someone on here can fill in the blanks. 

He ruptured his ACL, advocaat brought in klos, charbonnier couldnt get his space back and asked to move on for first team chances

Archived