Oh Davie Cooper

mrmojorisin

John Wark spoke well of DC:

John Wark explains Rangers dream as Scotland legend pinpoints 'scary' talent that made Davie Cooper special

The former Ipswich midfielder always wanted to play alongside the mercurial winger at Ibrox for his boyhood heroes.

John Wark dreamed of lining up with Davie Cooper for his boyhood heroes Rangers.

And he told him so regularly. Heavy hints had no impact though as Wark never got to play alongside a player who he was in “awe” of for the Light Blues.

More surprisingly for the Ipswich and Liverpool legend though is the limited time they spent together as team-mates in the dark blue of Scotland.

Now 62, Wark will take a quiet moment to remember Cooper on the 25th anniversary of his tragic death today.

Wark said: “I am a Rangers fan and I was often in awe of Davie when I saw him play. He was something else.

“He never got enough games for Scotland. We had Gordon Strachan and John Robertson and often Davie had to settle for a place on the bench so I didn’t see the best of him as a Scotland team-mate.

“But I knew exactly what he was like as his quality was the exact same in training.

“He had that natural ability. When you first saw him you’d say, ‘Bloody hell who is this guy?’

“Davie would glide past people, he could go past three in the blink of an eye. His talent was scary.

“I liked Davie off the park too. He was a typical Glasgow boy. I was always talking to him about Rangers telling him, ‘I wish I played for your team’.

“That never happened and unfortunately it didn’t happen often enough in a Scotland side either.

“Jock Stein seemed to prefer Robertson in that position and to be fair John was a great player too.

“I can’t believe that’s been 25 years since we lost Davie. He was a special player and a special person. One of the best.”

( https://www.BOYCOTT THIS LINK/sport/football/football-news/john-wark-explains-Rangers-dream-21736262

That first season in 1977-78 when Davie Cooper was signed along with Bobby Russel and then Gordon Smith was a joy.

He did take a few months to get fitter as a result of Jock Wallaces' training methods but even during this period there were signs of what a player he would become. My favourite match the 3-2 win at Ibrox against celtic coming from 2 goals down at half-time. Davie Cooper, Derek Johnstone, Gordon Smith and Bobby Russel were unplayable. It could have easily been 4, 5 or 6 goals in that second half.

RIP Davie Cooper a true Rangers legend

Charle Nicholas was with  Davie the day he died. Apparently they were good mates. A few kind words in his memory wouldn't have gone amiss today. It seems he is too busy trumpeting celtic as title winners these days. (unless I have missed something)

Was listening briefly listening to radio Scotland on Saturday and they were talking and praising Davie.

One presenter starting talking about the Drybrough goal and started to say it was a pity about the other camera angle/ footage  but was interrupted by the other presenter about the sheep free kick but I was raging as I thought there was going to be a discussion on the other camera footage.

I believe this footage must be out there and probably in the vaults at the piggery so it might never surface which is a real shame as the footage from the long angle would enhance the skill, beauty and gracefulness of this goal, even more than the current footage.

24 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

Was listening briefly listening to radio Scotland on Saturday and they were talking and praising Davie.

One presenter starting talking about the Drybrough goal and started to say it was a pity about the other camera angle/ footage  but was interrupted by the other presenter about the sheep free kick but I was raging as I thought there was going to be a discussion on the other camera footage.

I believe this footage must be out there and probably in the vaults at the piggery so it might never surface which is a real shame as the footage from the long angle would enhance the skill, beauty and gracefulness of this goal, even more than the current footage.

Their cameraman was busy at barrowfield change rooms.

1 hour ago, slimjim1690 said:

Was at that game and I swear that I heard the ball hit the net from way back up in the Rangers end.

Trust me bud you did, I was there also and was telling the story the other week, there was a dearthly silence as he strode up to take the kick, i clearly heared the crack of the net,  a split second delayed reaction then you see half the away end erupting 

2 hours ago, hammer93 said:

Trust me bud you did, I was there also and was telling the story the other week, there was a dearthly silence as he strode up to take the kick, i clearly heared the crack of the net,  a split second delayed reaction then you see half the away end erupting 

Apparently it was brand new nets and design, and the noise was the way they were constructed and pulled together.

A proper Rangers legend, oozed class on and off the park.  Stopped for a picture with me when they trained at the Albion, my Dad run a boys club team and they had a Welsh club up for the weekend so we got a tour of Ibrox as part of their visit. Was the day before the reverse pass for Durrant's goal when we beat them 1-0 in 86. 

Archived