Ian Redford

hammer93

Lads looking for some info here, I've been watching old you tube highlights of games in the early 80s, anyway I started going to games with my mates around 81/82....my recollection of Ian Redford was one that he was a disappointing signing who failed to live up to his price tag at the time....point is in some of these highlight reels I have been watching he actually looked pretty decent with a cracking left leg on him, not sure if I was just too young to remember or appreciate him at the time but he certainly didn't have the successful career we may have expected....I'm tagging in who I believe to be older bears here so I apologise the now if I get some of you wrong 😂😂

@KeyserSoze @siddiqi_drinker @Blue Avenger @Bobby Hume @Johnny Dangerously @johanhentze @Kai_Johansen @Courtyard Bear

From what I remember he was solid enough and was a bit unsung. He was with us for four or five seasons and played fairly regularly. I’m sure we paid good money for him off Dundee. Decent left peg. 
I liked him. He was a player that gave his all. He left to play with Dundee Utd and was a big part of their Europa run in the mid 80’s.  

we never won the league in the early/mid 80’s so the team he played in was winning cups but not the league.  
he took his own life about 5 yr ago. Tragically.  

I liked and rated Ian Redford. At that time we had a few good midfielders, but weren't strong in other departments so struggled badly in the league.  The fact we were up against the great Dundee United and Aberdeen sides at the time didn't help, so he never played in a successful or consistent team.

Was one of those players who made the game look easy by creating a bit of time and space and was a decent passer.

8 minutes ago, tannerall said:

I liked and rated Ian Redford. At that time we had a few good midfielders, but weren't strong in other departments so struggled badly in the league.  The fact we were up against the great Dundee United and Aberdeen sides at the time didn't help, so he never played in a successful or consistent team.

Was one of those players who made the game look easy by creating a bit of time and space and was a decent passer.

Amazing how folk see things differently. I thought the guy was brutal , and if he played for us now would get slaughtered weekly on the forums........

8 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Amazing how folk see things differently. I thought the guy was brutal , and if he played for us now would get slaughtered weekly on the forums........

At that time we had got used to a lot of great midfielders, so the standard was high. 

If there had been forums back then, every little mistake would have been done to death and lots of players would have been getting regualarly slated and torn apart on forums. 

How do you think decent players like Jim Bett and Robert Prytz would have got on if there were forums then ?

And for those who never saw Davie Cooper, he had inconsistencies and bad games too, just like every footballer. 

To be fair even back in the 70s, players like Parlane and McLean used to get dog's abuse from the terraces too. 

5 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Tbh that was my kinda recollection but I was only 16 by the time he had moved on, like I said, watching highlight reels he actually looks pretty decent,  we beat the filth 3-0 November 80 and Redford looked like he was having a great game in the highlights 

Just now, hammer93 said:

Tbh that was my kinda recollection but I was only 16 by the time he had moved on, like I said, watching highlight reels he actually looks pretty decent,  we beat the filth 3-0 November 80 and Redford looked like he was having a great game in the highlights 

I'm sure he was a standout in the 81 Cup Final against Dundee United,  Googled it and we had Russell Bett and Cooper alongside, yet still had a shite few seasons. Our two main forwards then were MacDonald and Colin McAdam which says a lot. 

There were so many great midfielders in Scotland at that time the stanard ws very high. with Aberdeen and Dundee United proving this at European level, and many top Scottish midfielders standing out in English teams. 

8 minutes ago, tannerall said:

At that time we had got used to a lot of great midfielders, so the standard was high. 

If there had been forums back then, every little mistake would have been done to death and lots of players would have been getting regualarly slated and torn apart on forums. 

How do you think decent players like Jim Bett and Robert Prytz would have got on if there were forums then ?

And for those who never saw Davie Cooper, he had inconsistencies and bad games too, just like every footballer. 

To be fair even back in the 70s, players like Parlane and McLean used to get dog's abuse from the terraces too. 

Funny you mention Bett....I know there was a thread on him the other day....now watching him in these games he looked average at best and gets caught in possession too many times, by the time Bett came back to play for the sheep he looked a far better player than the one we parted company with 

52 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Pretty much how I remember him too. Not the player you would want in the trenches with you (like wee Doddie) but he looked good on the ball like all lefties seem to.

First of all, ya cheeky bastard 😂😂 I’m hanging onto  my 40’s by my fingernails still. 

Ian Redford a good player that struggled in a struggling Rangers team. We had a few players like that at the time. Someone has mentioned it already but I will always remember him for that chip over Hamish in the Cup Final. 

Really only remember him with that united team. Reading his book its as though he struggled with the pressure with us.  Thats how i feel about 90% of the players since 2012. Its not just enough to win, its got to be done in a certain style, training  is 100%  as well, no off days. Some players just cant keep it up

Someone mentioned Robert Prytz. I thought he was completely underrated at Rangers. A fantastic first touch and his control and passing was sublime. But he played in a mediocre Rangers team.  
looking at his career and the teams  he played with he looks never settled and could be classed a “journeyman “.  

he was part of the Rangers community football thing with the kids and my boy came back one day raving about this fat bloke with mad hair that could do a thousand keepy ups. 😂

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

First of all, ya cheeky bastard 😂😂 I’m hanging onto  my 40’s by my fingernails still. 

Ian Redford a good player that struggled in a struggling Rangers team. We had a few players like that at the time. Someone has mentioned it already but I will always remember him for that chip over Hamish in the Cup Final. 

Same age as me then....you must just post like an old Codger at times 😂😂

3 hours ago, hammer93 said:

Lads looking for some info here, I've been watching old you tube highlights of games in the early 80s, anyway I started going to games with my mates around 81/82....my recollection of Ian Redford was one that he was a disappointing signing who failed to live up to his price tag at the time....point is in some of these highlight reels I have been watching he actually looked pretty decent with a cracking left leg on him, not sure if I was just too young to remember or appreciate him at the time but he certainly didn't have the successful career we may have expected....I'm tagging in who I believe to be older bears here so I apologise the now if I get some of you wrong 😂😂

@KeyserSoze @siddiqi_drinker @Blue Avenger @Bobby Hume @Johnny Dangerously @johanhentze @Kai_Johansen @Courtyard Bear

I'm clearly too young for this list, in amongst these old codgers .

Redford worked his socks of for Rangers in the 80s playing in a very poor Rangers side .Mainly due to Greig keeping older players , that were well by their sell by date .

He was in many a brilliant big match win , winning cup finals and OF games . He goes down a winner in my book . Especially with the dross we have on our books at this moment masquerading as quality .

He done not too badly at Dundee Utd and he scored a few against us, when with them. I remember a fine win for them at Ibrox , in the second game into new season 87/88. When I didn't hate Utd . In fact in those days . Utd had most bears respect as a very capable outfit .

It was sad story when he died years back . One of the players that played very well with Coop by his side

On 28/03/2020 at 11:44, eejay the dj said:

I'm clearly too young for this list, in amongst these old codgers .

Redford worked his socks of for Rangers in the 80s playing in a very poor Rangers side .Mainly due to Greig keeping older players , that were well by their sell by date .

He was in many a brilliant big match win , winning cup finals and OF games . He goes down a winner in my book . Especially with the dross we have on our books at this moment masquerading as quality .

He done not too badly at Dundee Utd and he scored a few against us, when with them. I remember a fine win for them at Ibrox , in the second game into new season 87/88. When I didn't hate Utd . In fact in those days . Utd had most bears respect as a very capable outfit .

It was sad story when he died years back . One of the players that played very well with Coop by his side

:tu:

Good post mate.

The early 80's were a mixed bag ..... Redford was a good choice as a barometer of that time ..... he never lacked skill as Kaiser said .... like most left sided players ..... but at the time money was really tight for teams all over the UK and I think that was one of the main reasons Greig had to hang onto some of the older players as there was not a lot of spare around to replace them.

Had there been the movement of players when Souness arrived later in the eighties .... I think Redford would have have had a hard time getting in the team .... so for me he was a good enough squad player who had his moments .... but due to the dominance of other teams at the time though it was inevitable that we as an ageing team were not able to successfully compete in the league.

As said above ..... he was in some great cup and OF games .... and they were the highlights of his career when with us ..... a bit like The Rangers in the early 80's ..... we had our moments.

🇬🇧

11 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

:tu:

Good post mate.

The early 80's were a mixed bag ..... Redford was a good choice as a barometer of that time ..... he never lacked skill as Kaiser said .... like most left sided players ..... but at the time money was really tight for teams all over the UK and I think that was one of the main reasons Greig had to hang onto some of the older players as their was not a lot of spare around to replace them.

Had their been the movement of players when Souness arrived later in the eighties .... I think Redford would have have had a hard time getting in the team .... so for me he was a good enough squad player who had his moments .... but due to the dominance of other teams at the time though it was inevitable that we as an ageing team were not able to successfully compete in the league.

As said above ..... he was in some great cup and OF games .... and they were the highlights of his career when with us ..... a bit like The Rangers in the early 80's ..... we had our moments.

🇬🇧

Yeah Bobby . I think your summary is much more accurate than mine in truth

Still think it was such a shame he decided to end it all at a relatively young age . Hate to see people doing this

6 hours ago, hammer93 said:

Oy, why did you not tag me on this? 😀

Cant believe he missed the penalty in the 81 cup final, mind you the replay wasnt too bad.

Was good in the air and run for fun, popping up with some other crucial goals for us.

With utd got to the UEFA cup final

Archived