Sign in to follow this  
tannerall

Ibrox Floodlights.

9 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Slightly off topic, but here's a decent photo of Gers fans scaling the floodlights at St James PArk in 1969.

9e742fea9ee4246373ad1df113759d64.jpg

What a picture 👌👍

BookWorm likes this

30 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Slightly off topic, but here's a decent photo of Gers fans scaling the floodlights at St James PArk in 1969.

9e742fea9ee4246373ad1df113759d64.jpg

Changed times eh, I canny help from thinking how many people would get sacked if something like that happened today 😂 Cunts in the media would go into a spasm.

Quality pic.

dougie76 likes this

I understood that our old floodlights on the top of the old Main Stand roof were because of the proximity of Glasgow Airport (ie Lights on high pylons were not allowed / would cause issues for the airport) - can anyone confirm this?

12 minutes ago, savenosouls said:

I understood that our old floodlights on the top of the old Main Stand roof were because of the proximity of Glasgow Airport (ie Lights on high pylons were not allowed / would cause issues for the airport) - can anyone confirm this?

That'll be an urban myth. No reason that it'd interfere with Glasgow Airport.

26 minutes ago, savenosouls said:

Heard this too. Unsure if it’s actually correct or not.

Apart from anything, Glasgow Airport didn't exist as a passenger airport back then. Was a barely used military facility. Would have been Renfrew.

rbt1548 likes this

47 minutes ago, Inigo said:

That'll be an urban myth. No reason that it'd interfere with Glasgow Airport.

Was there not  a wee airport at Renfrew back in the day which may have been the reason?

2 minutes ago, LochendBilly said:

Abbotsinch?

Abbotsinch was the pre Glasgow Airport military airfield. Renfrew was the passenger airport. I played in its rubble as a boy.

LochendBilly likes this

1 minute ago, LochendBilly said:

Abbotsinch?

I always thought Abbotsinch was the name of Glasgow Airport before they called it that.

Renfrew was a wee diddy airport that closed in the 60s when the big new one took over.

rbt1548 and LochendBilly like this

3 minutes ago, The Big Sleeper said:

Was there not  a wee airport at Renfrew back in the day which may have been the reason?

Would be surprised. Given the distance I can't see the issue. Especially given that Love Street had them, and it was closer.

Just now, The Big Sleeper said:

I always thought Abbotsinch was the name of Glasgow Airport before they called it that.

Renfrew was a wee diddy airport that closed in the 60s when the big new one took over.

Small yes, but not massively so for the time. Had a stunning terminal. Disgrace it was demolished.

Johnstone Burgh likes this

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

Would be surprised. Given the distance I can't see the issue. Especially given that Love Street had them, and it was closer.

Good point. The only other possible reason then may have been flight paths.

3 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Small yes, but not massively so for the time. Had a stunning terminal. Disgrace it was demolished.

Was that the one with arcs all along the roof edge?

Edit  nah that was Glasgow before makeover

1 minute ago, The Big Sleeper said:

Good point. The only other possible reason then may have been flight paths.

Firhill would have been more on the flight path and it had pylons. Ibrox was well offset.

The runway of Renfrew was basically the bit of motorway running from Paisley to Hillington. That stretch was built pretty much on top of the old runway, hence that stretch of road being long and straight.

Like I say, you never know, but I can't see it.

LochendBilly likes this