3 UEFA fines When will some people learn?

JCDBigBear

Just now, stevemac said:

Were up to our knees in fenian blood. What isnt sectarian about it?

I'm not saying I'm anti billy boys, I've sung it, but not at a game when we are under the microscope

Only sectarian if you decide fenian means catholic and ignore the original dictionary definition. 

Catholic was later added to the dictionary definition, to give it a joint meaning (depending on context) many decades after the song became popular with the Rangers support.

Interesting you go with this chain of thought. As I said earlier, it's about your own wee agenda. You are kidding yourself on saying you aren't anti-Billy Boys.

For the record, I'm not saying sing it in Europe. It's just not worth the risk because it's deemed "offensive" to some at UEFA, get them on a bad day or the wrong minded delegate in the stands and we could be in trouble. There's plenty of other good loyalist songs we can sing that they can't touch. If our club/board had a backbone years ago we could have nipped this shite in the bud but it's came too far now. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Only sectarian if you decide fenian means catholic and ignore the original dictionary definition. 

Catholic was later added to the dictionary definition, to give it a joint meaning (depending on context) many decades after the song became popular with the Rangers support.

Interesting you go with this chain of thought. As I said earlier, it's about your own wee agenda. You are kidding yourself on saying you aren't anti-Billy Boys.

For the record, I'm not saying sing it in Europe. It's just not worth the risk because it's deemed "offensive" to some at UEFA, get them on a bad day or the wrong minded delegate in the stands and we could be in trouble. There's plenty of other good loyalist songs we can sing that they can't touch. If our club/board had a backbone years ago we could have nipped this shite in the bud but it's came too far now. 

I've no agenda whatsoever but it seems you have in beating me with a stick over my thoughts on fan behaviour. I've said I'm not anti the song and I dont feel I have to back that up really, I've literally sang it myself.

4 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

What has the Billy Boys got to do with our football club?

Is this a song that represents us as a club now?

What loyalist song should we be singing that fits our current team and fantastic support? 

just a few questions to widen the discussion 

2 minutes ago, stevemac said:

I've no agenda whatsoever but it seems you have in beating me with a stick over my thoughts on fan behaviour. I've said I'm not anti the song and I dont feel I have to back that up really, I've literally sang it myself.

The debate was already centered around fan behaviour, but you seen fit to add another negative element to it that had nothing to do with what was being talked about, for reasons that still make no sense despite your responses. I'll flip it, if you are not anti-Billy Boys, why are you pro a "sectarian" song if you care so much about standards and fan behaviour? a bit contradictory.

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

What has the Billy Boys got to do with our football club?

Is this a song that represents us as a club now?

What loyalist song should we be singing that fits our current team and fantastic support? 

just a few questions to widen the discussion 

What does Simply The Best, Penny Arcade, Three Little Birds etc have to do with our football club? a song becomes part of (and relevant to) our football club when the fans (who's club it is) sing it.

What loyalist song should we be singing now that fits? Derry's Walls. That's an easy one. It should be getting sung more instead of the likes of Every Saturday We Follow. But that's my opinon, I'm not going to tell other supporters what they can and can't sing (unlike some others)

36 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

What does Simply The Best, Penny Arcade, Three Little Birds etc have to do with our football club? a song becomes part of (and relevant to) our football club when the fans (who's club it is) sing it.

What loyalist song should we be singing now that fits? Derry's Walls. That's an easy one. It should be getting sung more instead of the likes of Every Saturday We Follow. But that's my opinon, I'm not going to tell other supporters what they can and can't sing (unlike some others)

Our fan base has changed significantly over the past 20 years.

Which is why many fans sing the songs you mentioned first  

The loyalist songs and the religious songs will become redundant from our songbook through time - songs about winning and Rangers won’t  

when I was a boy everyone sung about Ireland, Ulster fucking the pope  now hardly anyone does 

6 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

The loyalist songs and the religious songs will become redundant from our songbook through time - songs about winning and Rangers won’t  

when I was a boy everyone sung about Ireland, Ulster fucking the pope  now hardly anyone does 

Our fan base hasn't changed a bit tbh however I do take your point the singing of the more extreme stuff is a lot less mainly due to stigma that's became attached to it.

Reasons for that include politically correct culture (that affects everyone, not just Rangers) - the EPL in England, mainstream TV, oscars you name it are all heavily sanitised, over-zealous SNP politicians and some clueless Police officers that still to this day can't tell you what songs can't be sung.

My point is, should we decide to rise above it a bit there's loads of good Loyalist songs that do still get aired from time to time that shouldn't be offensive and certainly not illegal.

There's some games you even get a good mixture of both loyalist songs and the more sanitised clap your hands stuff.  A problem I've got is that the latter, when you get a whole game full of it doesn't do anything for atmosphere, that probably sounds a strange thing to say but to me atmosphere should be about intimidating and striking fear into opponents. I've sat and watched weans in the away section literally pish themselves laughing at some of the songs we sing at Ibrox especially now and (coupled with the shitebag mentality of a lot of our players) allows teams like Hamilton to come and get stuck in without a care in the world and make things difficult for us. It's all part of the bigger picture for me. 

14 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Aye. Far too many wee fucking poofs now.

9 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Our fan base hasn't changed a bit tbh however I do take your point the singing of the more extreme stuff is a lot less mainly due to stigma that's became attached to it.

Reasons for that include politically correct culture (that affects everyone, not just Rangers) - the EPL in England, mainstream TV, oscars you name it are all heavily sanitised, over-zealous SNP politicians and some clueless Police officers that still to this day can't tell you what songs can't be sung.

My point is, should we decide to rise above it a bit there's loads of good Loyalist songs that do still get aired from time to time that shouldn't be offensive and certainly not illegal.

There's some games you even get a good mixture of both loyalist songs and the more sanitised clap your hands stuff.  A problem I've got is that the latter, when you get a whole game full of it doesn't do anything for atmosphere, that probably sounds a strange thing to say but to me atmosphere should be about intimidating and striking fear into opponents. I've sat and watched weans in the away section literally pish themselves laughing at some of the songs we sing at Ibrox especially now and (coupled with the shitebag mentality of a lot of our players) allows teams like Hamilton to come and get stuck in without a care in the world and make things difficult for us. It's all part of the bigger picture for me. 

You don’t listen hard enough, there’s plenty loyalist songs every week

5 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

You don’t listen hard enough, there’s plenty loyalist songs every week

You don't read hard enough. I said our fan base hasn't changed and also said there's some games you get a good mixture of both loyalist songs and the more sanitised stuff. Literally said that in the post you quoted. 

If you are referring to the bit where I said there's plenty good loyalist songs we can add to our songbook, that's still true. 

6 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Reasons for that include politically correct culture (that affects everyone, not just Rangers) - the EPL in England, mainstream TV, oscars you name it are all heavily sanitised. 

My point is, should we decide to rise about it a bit there's loads of good Loyalist songs that do still get aired from time to time that shouldn't be offensive and certainly not illegal.

The atmosphere at Ibrox has been poor for years.  The songs you say are laughed at (lie btw) are an attempt to reflect the wider and I would argue majority of our current fan base 

As for singing songs that strike fear into the opposition I think singing loyalist songs and songs that promote a Protestant uprising probably fucks off most our own players 😂

👍

9 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

The atmosphere at Ibrox has been poor for years.  The songs you say are laughed at (lie btw) are an attempt to reflect the wider and I would argue majority of our current fan base 

As for singing songs that strike fear into the opposition I think singing loyalist songs and songs that promote a Protestant uprising probably fucks off most our own players 😂

👍

It's not a lie at all. 

You are also reading too much into why some of the newer songs get sung.

Do you really think, for example, the Union Bears sit and come up with some of these songs thinking wee Sadie in Main Stand Rear this will reflect her beliefs and curry flavour to what she appreciates etc? :lol: you are way off.

It's far from a dig at the Union Bears either btw, they have told me loads when this debate has come up elsewhere that they do try and push the loyalist songs just as much, however a lot of younger ones in the section it doesn't really catch on whereas the newer songs appeal to them more. Probably a few reasons for it. 

I'm not wanting this to denegrate into me slaughtering the songs off. It's not about that, they just aren't my preference for reasons I've said but your last line is very telling - your tone about promoting Protestant uprisings ... ignorant, ill-informed, handwringer shite. Are you an SNP voter by any chance? 

25 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

I'm not wanting this to denegrate into me slaughtering the songs off. It's not about that, they just aren't my preference for reasons I've said but your last line is very telling - your tone about promoting Protestant uprisings ... ignorant, ill-informed, handwringer shite. Are you an SNP voter by any chance? 

😂 

Apart from Follow follow Glasgow Rangers and Every Saturday we follow its loyalist tunes like build my Gallows, Derry’s walls and King Billy on the wall that get the best reaction from others out with the union Bears on the rare occasions others do join in at Ibrox. Our away support still batter out all the old classic loyalist tunes every match.

add blue sea of Ibrox to that list 

39 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

You don't read hard enough. I said our fan base hasn't changed and also said there's some games you get a good mixture of both loyalist songs and the more sanitised stuff. Literally said that in the post you quoted. 

If you are referring to the bit where I said there's plenty good loyalist songs we can add to our songbook, that's still true. 

You said we get games full of the happy clappy stuff which is pish.

1 minute ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Apart from Follow follow Glasgow Rangers and Every Saturday we follow its loyalist tunes like build my Gallows, Derry’s walls and King Billy on the wall that get the best reaction from others out with the union Bears on the rare occasions other do join in at Ibrox. Our away support still batter out all the old classic loyalist tunes every match.

And long may that continue 

2 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Apart from Follow follow Glasgow Rangers and Every Saturday we follow its loyalist tunes like build my Gallows, Derry’s walls and King Billy on the wall that get the best reaction from others out with the union Bears on the rare occasions other do join in at Ibrox. Our away support still batter out all the old classic loyalist tunes every match.

Nah can't be mate, you must be mistaken. KeyserSoze said the fan base has changed and the newer songs get sung to represent the everyone now. 

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

You said we get games full of the happy clappy stuff which is pish.

We do. But that doesn't mean we don't get Loyalist stuff too. Reading and comprehension is not your strongest point on here. 

3 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Nah can't be mate, you must be mistaken. KeyserSoze said the fan base has changed and the newer songs get sung to represent the everyone now. 

We do. But that doesn't mean we don't get Loyalist stuff too. Reading and comprehension is not your strongest point on here. 

We don’t. It’s always a mix with the happy clappy stuff at a minimum unless they’re trying their hardest to get a new song to catch on. Aribo’s for example. Would never say a game’s full of it especially with actual Rangers songs being sung.

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

Defo an SNP leaner. 

Didn’t take you very long to get personal. 

Forum has went to fuck 😂.  With the influx of newbie self isolators. 

Can’t even have a decent debate anymore.  

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

Remind me when could we?

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

We don’t. It’s always a mix with the happy clappy stuff at a minimum unless they’re trying their hardest to get a new song to catch on. Aribo’s for example.

It's not always a mix though. Loads of Ibrox games last couple of seasons we haven't heard a Loyalist song during the 90 minutes and other games, like you've said there (and I agree) we get a good mixture. 

Just now, KeyserSoze said:

The debate was going fine until you called me a liar and started sneering about Protestant Uprisings. If that's your idea of being respectful and having good debate then I'm not sure what planet you're on. It's ok for you to say that but I can't ask/accuse you of being SNP? :lol: 

6 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

It's not always a mix though. Loads of Ibrox games last couple of seasons we haven't heard a Loyalist song during the 90 minutes and other games, like you've said there (and I agree) we get a good mixture. 

The debate was going fine until you called me a liar and started sneering about Protestant Uprisings. If that's your idea of being respectful and having good debate then I'm not sure what planet you're on. It's ok for you to say that but I can't ask/accuse you of being SNP? :lol: 

Wait .......  what is your banned name on here?

Archived