Giovanni Van Bronckhorst

GOAT

Someone please settle an argument for me.  Gio wasn’t a left back at Feyenoord and when we did sign him he played left back at Rangers probably the less times than you could count on one hand.  Numan was Advocaat’s first Rangers signing and when Numan was injured Vidmar was next in line.  It was only Gio’s time at Arsenal and Barcelona he turned to a left back.  Correct?

2 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Someone please settle an argument for me.  Gio wasn’t a left back at Feyenoord and when we did sign him he played left back at Rangers probably the less times than you could count on one hand.  Numan was Advocaat’s first Rangers signing and when Numan was injured Vidmar was next in line.  It was only Gio’s time at Arsenal and Barcelona he turned to a left back.  Correct?

I believe you are right mate. I love good trivia before the Google Loyal come on and tells us we are wrong. Cannae argue in the pubs anymore without someone on their phones proving you wrong.

2 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Correct he was a midfielder in Holland and played left back a few times due to injury for us. 

In fact I think he was left back the night he scored in Monaco 

In an argument with someone telling me we signed him as a left back but moved him to midfield.  Why would we sign Numan then splash £5.5m more on another left back, that’s just nonsense.  We signed him as a midfielder, played him midfield 95% of the time and he turned left back elsewhere.  

15 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Correct he was a midfielder in Holland and played left back a few times due to injury for us. 

Numan played left back that night. 

Just now, hammer93 said:

Definitely signed as a midfielder but did offer cover at left back because Numan was a bit injury prone in his early days

I remember this but it was Vidmar that played there when Numan was out was it not?   Infact gio was that good there wasn’t a place for Albertz in the team sometimes. 

16 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

I think he was more a left wing back that night,  did we not play Tugay as a sweeper that night?

1 minute ago, GOAT said:

I remember this but it was Vidmar that played there when Numan was out was it not?   Infact gio was that good there wasn’t a place for Albertz in the team sometimes. 

I don't think Advocaat rated Albertz very much at first, that had probably more to do with it bud

4 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

I think he was more a left wing back that night,  did we not play Tugay as a sweeper that night?

Yes we did, I was at that game.  He was getting called the Kaiser after his performance that night.  Sitting top with 6 points after 2 games and we still fucked up.

He now and again played LWB when we played with a back three with two wing backs towards the end of his time here.

He did play LB a couple of times at Euro 2000 for Holland shared with Numan. It was Rijkaard who converted him there in the first place and then again basically full time at Barca. I’d be willing to bet that it may have been on the advice of Cruyff or at least influenced by Cruyff’s ideas of playing CMs at full back as they are better footballers.

I thought it was a shame he spent a lot of his best years as a left back not having the same influence on games that he had for us where he was just a wonderfully gifted balanced player. 

But with the career he had and trophies he won I'm sure he couldn't care one bit.

A 2000/01 GVB in centre midfield would be a standout for almost any current EPL team.

37 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I thought it was a shame he spent a lot of his best years as a left back not having the same influence on games that he had for us where he was just a wonderfully gifted balanced player. 

But with the career he had and trophies he won I'm sure he couldn't care one bit.

A 2000/01 GVB in centre midfield would be a standout for almost any current EPL team.

Always thought that mate. Had a great career but i always felt being a left back ruined him.

15 hours ago, dummiesoot said:

Did he, fuck knows why I thought that then? 

Unless Numan played centre half in a back three, but if you watch the goal he celebrated with Van Bronckhorst. 👍🏻

Archived