Manchester United

Essandoh

Have to admire what Ferguson did there but just can't like them. The atmosphere at Old Trafford always seems pathetic and full of tourists and cunts too busy taking pictures. Tbf they do have a good hard-core support and it must annoy them aswell. Probably how they're away support is so good. 

The game we played them at Ibrox in the CL was one of the most poisonous games I've ever been to. 

Seems to be forgotten now that the Manchester Board had been mainly Catholic for decades until the seventies, in fact Matt Busby apparently got the job through a common association to a Manchester United board member. This was common knowledge amongst the Rangers support. I became aware of it as a 13 or 14 year old in the early seventies, and was one of the reasons I supported Man City as my English team in the 70s and 80s. (I no longer support any other team but Rangers, see no reason too now)

Quote from Wilkipedia: 

"After Manchester United had tried to sign Busby from Manchester City in 1930, he became good friends with United's fixer, Louis Rocca; their relationship was helped by the fact that both were members of the Manchester Catholic Sportsman's Club"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Busby

Quite ironic that their most famous and charismatic player was a Protestant from Belfast with strong family traditions in the Orange Lodge. . 

To be fair, Manchester United have had fairly strong ties with both sides of the Northern Irish community in more recent times, so their sectarian history is largely forgotten. 

Maybe our club will achieve the same (religion and sport do not mix) in future decades, but I won't hold my breath.

And before anyone dives in, I hate catholics, but only due to political and personal reasons, nothing to do with football or the team I support. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2020 at 21:09, ready1873 said:

Have to admire what Ferguson did there but just can't like them. The atmosphere at Old Trafford always seems pathetic and full of tourists and cunts too busy taking pictures. Tbf they do have a good hard-core support and it must annoy them aswell. Probably how they're away support is so good. 

The game we played them at Ibrox in the CL was one of the most poisonous games I've ever been to. 

A lot of clubs in Europe have this . Madrid , Barca , Utd ..............

Another reason why I'm proud to be a bear . We usually have a full house of good old fashioned bears to rely on :lol:

Tourists . Who the hell would come to Glasgow on a cold winters day , unless you loved the Rangers 

On 22/04/2020 at 11:15, Essandoh said:

Yay or nay?

I’ve never had a problem with Man Utd, was always quite fond of them under Sir Alex albeit I loved Arsenal growing up because of Henry.

Which reminds me... 

Never used to bother with them until they played us and their scummy fans were chanting “celtic, celtic” in the Broomloan. Fuck them!

13 minutes ago, Mr Soprano said:

Despised due to their success.

Much like us in Scotland.

Respect them, but don’t support them.

My problem with them is they are more like cellic, 

Media fauned over them intensely , and what I call "pretentious football dicks" who knew little about football tended to support them too, as well as Southern Irish yoiks for some reason. 

Also had their fair share of freeloaders who just chose to support a successful English team, like those  (including  Rangers fans)who who supported Chelsea. as soon as they became successful. 

Had absolutely no problem with the Protestant Northern Irish who support them (in spite of their catholic roots up to the seventies) as that is mostly down to the magic and charisma of George Best.

My only real memory of them while supporting us was being on coach 3 in 2010 going from the DW stadium to old trafford to play them in the champions league. Approaching the stadium and the walk up the stairs to the stadium was noise I won't forget. 

Overall a class trip but lucky i didn't piss myself with the toilets not working on the bus. Shambles. 

On 17/05/2020 at 15:29, Nameless Ghoul said:

My only real memory of them while supporting us was being on coach 3 in 2010 going from the DW stadium to old trafford to play them in the champions league. Approaching the stadium and the walk up the stairs to the stadium was noise I won't forget. 

Overall a class trip but lucky i didn't piss myself with the toilets not working on the bus. Shambles. 

Sounds like our trip from Lisbon to Porto... fuck me

On 17/05/2020 at 15:29, Nameless Ghoul said:

Mate i was on that bus. Remember the guy saying if anyone gets on the bus at wigan drunk you wont get a match ticket. I felt like saying what happens if you get off the bus at wigan drunk!! As i had a shit load of vodka juice bottles.

Plus i thought there fans where quiet as fuck

58 minutes ago, lewislaudrup said:

Mate i was on that bus. Remember the guy saying if anyone gets on the bus at wigan drunk you wont get a match ticket. I felt like saying what happens if you get off the bus at wigan drunk!! As i had a shit load of vodka juice bottles.

Plus i thought there fans where quiet as fuck

The whole bus was drunk. They left us for 3-4 hours in a massive stadium bar and expect something else? Lol. I remember everyone banging on the windows at their fans as we arrived and they looked visibly rocked 😂

Pissing in the bucket was a low point though 

Another memory was some lassy wearing a signed top off wylde or something and wouldn't shut the fuck up about it

Archived