• Steven Davis
    • Pedro Mendes
    • Kyle Lafferty
    • Andy Webster
    • Andrius Velicka
    • Maurice Edu
    • Aaron Niguez

2 hours ago, DBBTB said:

My vote would be for Bougherra. Plucked from a middling English championship side and tasked with filling Cuellar’s sizeable shoes and did it absolutely seamlessly..dare I say it, but he might have actually been better.

Bougherra strolled the SPL.  Even in Europe he looked a level above at times.  I remember he scored away to some German team and thinking he was good enough to take a big step up.  I’m surprised that didn’t happen for him TBH.  One of the best CBs I’ve seen play for us in my lifetime.  The guy had so much to his game: strength, pace, confidence, comfortable with the ball at his feet, he could pass.  Brilliant.

2 hours ago, shaka said:

I've always rated Edu.  He might not be great technically but he done a power of work in midfield and made the other players look even better by winning the ball back whenever they lost possession, which Davis in particular had a habit of doing.

He was a good athlete but never a footballer.  

For overall contribution, its Miller all day. Mendes was absolute quality and the others had their own contribution but its Kenny all day.

P.s a wee extra shoutout to Velicka who scored the winner in the first game then vanished till about April and scored a belter at Easter Road! I actually quite liked him

10 minutes ago, Tero Penttila said:

Tell you what though, the big Lithuanian scored some very important goals at the end of that season. 

Edu was also a better player than the poll suggests. 

That 3 in a row under Walter was a great period. 

Can only hope those days will return.

Bougherra just through sheer consistency, barely had a bad game and was easily the best defender in the league that season. Closely behind Davis, Mendes and Miller in that order.

Cant understate Laffertys contribution either but too inconsistent to be considered next to the others.

It's a really difficult one to answer. 

I genuinely can't pick between 3 but for different reasons.

Bougherra was like glue at the back. Cuellar needed replaced. Weir was the old head, but slow. Bougherra had the legs. Great partnership. Bargain at 2 million.
Davis was our engine. Covered every inch of the park and drove the team on. Hardly wasted a ball. Similar to the job Stuart McCall used to do.
Miller for his goals in so many big games. Very important player during that spell. I think we got him back as he peaked.

A special mention for Lafferty as he always seemed to do it the last month of the season. Big goals in big games.

I loved Mendes. Was gutted to see us flog him to claw something back for the bank. Cultured and genuine class. He didn't have the same impact the top 3, though. But like Lafferty, a special mention for Pedro.

Archived