They were robbed by injury

Crazy when you think back to the amount of players that we were robbed of early in their careers

Kuznetsov (Played eventually but never the same )

Rozenthal 

Prodan 

then the amount of players who’s careers were affected Durrant Mols 

then players we lost completely McLaren being the biggest loss for me ,He had the makings of somebody who would had a better legacy than even Gough 

1 hour ago, magic8ball said:

Anybody who was there to witness his debut would all agree he was a class apart 

Absolutley strolled the game and probably the most impressive debuts I’ve saw in a Rangers player ,even better than Laudrup 

2 or 3 times he was left himself with 2 St Mirren players breaking and snuffed them out without breaking sweat ,and very unlucky not to score from 30 odd yards when he fired a shot in Albertz would have been proud of ,never anymore than a yard off the deck smacked the bottom of the post 

his injury was a huge loss 

St mirren 5-0. Was in the broomloan front and is one of the few debuts that I still remember from that era. Also, the only goal I can remember him scoring was at the piggery when we were 3 up after something like 10mins.

17 minutes ago, murzo said:

St mirren 5-0. Was in the broomloan front and is one of the few debuts that I still remember from that era. Also, the only goal I can remember him scoring was at the piggery when we were 3 up after something like 10mins.

You would have got some view of the shot that cracked the post 

very memorable day that for me ,had a right sore face from getting jumped the night before ,was also in west enclosure ,raging coz we always managed to get in the east ,also remember abusing the fuck out of their skipper ,Robert Dawson (I know him ) oh and started a chant of baldy baldy against Mcdowall the whole terrace was giving it 😂😂😂

20 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

My earlier post about young Ness made me think of players who were full of promise but were robbed by injury.  Recall a young player named Iain McDonald who was lauded as a great talent but suffered a very bad injury and never hit the heights although I did recall he did make a brief comeback with Dundee Utd.  Saw a very nice photograph of him with Doddie, two young players in Rangers shirts, their future before them (think it was the Scottish Football Book).  Scott Nisbet also called time on his career too early and we all know of Ian Durrant who missed a couple of years through injury.  Who are the others?

I remeber Chris Burke  being a player getting time and that huge virus hit ? and he wasn't the same after. still had a good carear tho. 

the saddest is the wee guy from Ajax Abdelhak Nouri suffered brain damage and all reports he was going to be some player! he was in the same class/year of players in Frankie De Jong and De Ligt. 

9 hours ago, Brubear said:

Steven Smith was the best of the crop that came through the academy at the time of Hutton. Injuries resulted in him being an average SPL player but could have been much more. 

That's what I remember of Smith coming through, someone talked about as being better than Hutton

21 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

My earlier post about young Ness made me think of players who were full of promise but were robbed by injury.  Recall a young player named Iain McDonald who was lauded as a great talent but suffered a very bad injury and never hit the heights although I did recall he did make a brief comeback with Dundee Utd.  Saw a very nice photograph of him with Doddie, two young players in Rangers shirts, their future before them (think it was the Scottish Football Book).  Scott Nisbet also called time on his career too early and we all know of Ian Durrant who missed a couple of years through injury.  Who are the others?

I remember seeing Iain McDonald's debut and it was one of the best I have seen from a Rangers youngster. I think it was a 3-1 win over Ayr. He got clogged shortly afterwards against Hibs ( McEwan I think) and got a bad ankle break. He was never the same. That's my memory of it ,could be wrong.

11 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

That's what I remember of Smith coming through, someone talked about as being better than Hutton

I know the guy who was the under 16 coach at the time and he always rated Smith as the best in the crop. That said that doesn't mean he would have matured to be the best even without injury just had the most potential at that age. 

Archived