The Old Reserve Games At Ibrox.

tannerall

Shame we don't do traditional "reserve" games at Ibrox anymore.

My dad and uncle used to take  me to the big game, but the first "freedoms" I had as an 11 or 12 year old was going to the "reserve" games with the mates, on the Saturdays when we were playing away. I was able to use a season ticket loaned to me for the reserve games by my mums's best friends boyfriend  (reserve games were covered by a season ticket then). and loved the freedom it gave me to appreciate the fundamentals of football, and get close to a few of my blue shirted heroes. 

The surprising thing was you could really see the difference between the true professionals who hadn't quite made it, and the under achieving squad players who were still plugging on to get their big chance in the first team, 

A lot of younger players too, came for the season or two. then disappeared, no matter how skilful or ambitious, the old players had the professional guile from years of training with the first team and used their experience with  other long term squad players  to make newcomers look very naive, no matter how talented they were. 

Guy like Jim Denny,even Willie Mathieson excelled at this level and controlled games.One of my best abiding memories is Denny and Mathieson playing "heady Tennis" and "keepy up" whilst a talented rookie young forward ran back and forward between them trying to keep up. 

And the  banter was terrific. The terraces were deserted and only the enclosure and main stand were open. The main stand was occupied by seasoned "oldie" season ticket holders as it was only open to stand ticket holders, who had free entry, and usually just filled between 1/4 and an 1/3,  all congregated in the middle. And the enclosure was just full of older guys who were used to kicking around in the afternoon in the betting shops and pub, then attending games at Ibrox before heading on a pub spree down the Paisley Road West, plus a sprinkling of wee lads and their mates like me, who loved Rangers, the football, the cameraderie, and the pretence of being an "independent" and fully grown up Gers fan.

And of course, drink back then was a major factor, the older guys in the stand in their "Weekend suit" and even ties, would all have their wee hip flasks of whisky, and the habitual drinkers in the enclosure would have their half bottles of Eldorado tucked in to their inside jacket pocket, often pouring it into wee "sherry schooners" (small wine flutes) they'd nicked from the pub on route. 

And best of all, the dug out, where the reserve coaches sat was within easy shouting distance of most of the fan, who were never slow to give their opinion, based on years of going to games, and the frustration they were no longer the young lads who followed the team everywhere and celebrated to excess in far away places like Falkirk, Dundee and Perth.

The coaches took a hammering during the game, as well a the players of both teams, and always, the ref and linesmen too.    There was no mass of terrace noise  and enthusiasm, so every cheer, every boo, and every comment was heard by all. And not only were the fans comments strong, inspired by years of expected glory, cynasism and frustration   the on field language too was blue amongst the refs, and as for the stick the refs took......

But the players gave the stick back to, and the referees then were just as skilled at calling a cunt a cunt and ocasioanally a player or ref would give stick back to the enclosure without an eyebrow being raised. Thinking back there was never any real police presence at these games, even when the usual 5 or 6 thousand turned up at reserve old firm games.(Never saw that many cellic fan at Old Firm reserve games back then, and I really do mean less than a hunrded, but then again our fans would never have went to a reserve game at cellic park, I certainly didn't.

Addendum:

So what brought this post on ?

Well basically, wouldn't it be great if we could all attend in droves the modern equivalent of the reserve game, the youth or under 21 games every second Saturday, basically funding our club, supporting our team and encouraging our future success, even 10,000 would force the game to be played at Ibrox, and ultimately, and even in the short term, help to encourage us to reduce our attendance at away games by boycotting those who hate us with a passion, and starving them of the Blue Pound by pouring our resource in to supporting the other  Gers teams and funding our club at the same time ?

Used to go in the mid to late 80s. Enjoyed it as a lad as I couldn't get enough of this new experience of going to the football back then.

Seem to remember some thing in the Main Stand we went to sometimes, with my dad's pal. Almost like hospitality, where you could go in and get pies and cakes and stuff that were laid out in a buffet.

I'd be in favour but too many games would damage the pitch and it certainly wasn't in good nick after new year. Also; far away places like Falkirk, would that be the Falkirk thats 25 miles from Glasgow? :pipe:

6 minutes ago, MisterC said:

I'd be in favour but too many games would damage the pitch and it certainly wasn't in good nick after new year. Also; far away places like Falkirk, would that be the Falkirk thats 25 miles from Glasgow? :pipe:

When you got  bit older, the 10 minute trip after the game to all the pubs in the PRW at a reserve game on a Saturday was much more favourable than an hour and  a half or two and a half hour trip back from Falkirk, Ayr, Stirling etc. 

18 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Will the OP travel up from South East England to watch the Reserves?

Naw. It's too nice down here. 

There was a time that going to a Gers game was my ultimate experience, and I lived the life. 

Not now though, much older, more worldly wise (I hope), and so much more else to experience and enjoy at all kinds of levels. 

Rangers still very deep in my heart though. 

One day you will understand this, 

But for our wee "stars in their eyes" teenage fans would be great to follow on, with the enthusiasm and excitement I had then, and I envy them their naivety and expectation.

I remember getting taken to a midweek game against c....c because Jim Baxter was playing . Grateful because it was the only time I got to see him in the flesh . Ended up 1-1 with Graham Fyfe scoring for us . 

Lived in Costa Rica when I was younger and used to watch Saprissa very often as they played just at the top of the road . Don't know if it was standard , but very often their reserve teams would kick off just before the big game so if you wanted to go early you could see up and coming players . Can't imagine that ever taking off here . 

12 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Lived in Costa Rica when I was younger and used to watch Saprissa very often as they played just at the top of the road . Don't know if it was standard , but very often their reserve teams would kick off just before the big game so if you wanted to go early you could see up and coming players . Can't imagine that ever taking off here . 

Costa Rica ? Love the way you just slipped it in casually after +17.000 posts. Like this a lot. 

There's a whole new thread there. (OT)

Instead of asking you why, how, where and when on here, you can answer on the thread, seriously. 

I'll add the link on here. 

EDIT: Here you go @gmcf    

Had a season ticket in the late 80's early 90's as a teenager and went to all the reserve fixtures when we were away from home and listened to the first team games on the radio whilst watching the reserves, saw some good players come through at that time guys like Charlie Miller, David Hagen, Neil Murray and Steven Pressley who were brought through by older pro's like Gus McPherson who was in his mid 20's and captain of the reserve side.

1 hour ago, 110 steps said:

Remember going to see Durrants first game back. If I remember correctly it was a reserve game and I'm sure there was over 30k there.

Think I was also at this. 

My dad used to take me to get me used to sitting through 90mins before going to first team games. 

2 hours ago, tannerall said:

My dad and uncle used to take  me to the big game, but the first "freedoms" I had as an 11 or 12 year old was going to the "reserve" games with the mates, on the Saturdays when we were playing away. I was able to use a season ticket loaned to me for the reserve games by my mums's best friends boyfriend  (reserve games were covered by a season ticket then). and loved the freedom it gave me to appreciate the fundamentals of football, and get close to a few of my blue shirted heroes. 

The surprising thing was you could really see the difference between the true professionals who hadn't quite made it, and the under achieving squad players who were still plugging on to get their big chance in the first team, 

A lot of younger players too, came for the season or two. then disappeared, no matter how skilful or ambitious, the old players had the professional guile from years of training with the first team and used their experience with  other long term squad players  to make newcomers look very naive, no matter how talented they were. 

Guy like Jim Denny,even Willie Mathieson excelled at this level and controlled games.One of my best abiding memories is Denny and Mathieson playing "heady Tennis" and "keepy up" whilst a talented rookie young forward ran back and forward between them trying to keep up. 

And the  banter was terrific. The terraces were deserted and only the enclosure and main stand were open. The main stand was occupied by seasoned "oldie" season ticket holders as it was only open to stand ticket holders, who had free entry, and usually just filled between 1/4 and an 1/3,  all congregated in the middle. And the enclosure was just full of older guys who were used to kicking around in the afternoon in the betting shops and pub, then attending games at Ibrox before heading on a pub spree down the Paisley Road West, plus a sprinkling of wee lads and their mates like me, who loved Rangers, the football, the cameraderie, and the pretence of being an "independent" and fully grown up Gers fan.

And of course, drink back then was a major factor, the older guys in the stand in their "Weekend suit" and even ties, would all have their wee hip flasks of whisky, and the habitual drinkers in the enclosure would have their half bottles of Eldorado tucked in to their inside jacket pocket, often pouring it into wee "sherry schooners" (small wine flutes) they'd nicked from the pub on route. 

And best of all, the dug out, where the reserve coaches sat was within easy shouting distance of most of the fan, who were never slow to give their opinion, based on years of going to games, and the frustration they were no longer the young lads who followed the team everywhere and celebrated to excess in far away places like Falkirk, Dundee and Perth.

The coaches took a hammering during the game, as well a the players of both teams, and always, the ref and linesmen too.    There was no mass of terrace noise  and enthusiasm, so every cheer, every boo, and every comment was heard by all. And not only were the fans comments strong, inspired by years of expected glory, cynasism and frustration   the on field language too was blue amongst the refs, and as for the stick the refs took......

But the players gave the stick back to, and the referees then were just as skilled at calling a cunt a cunt and ocasioanally a player or ref would give stick back to the enclosure without an eyebrow being raised. Thinking back there was never any real police presence at these games, even when the usual 5 or 6 thousand turned up at reserve old firm games.(Never saw that many cellic fan at Old Firm reserve games back then, and I really do mean less than a hunrded, but then again our fans would never have went to a reserve game at cellic park, I certainly didn't.

Addendum:

Well basically, wouldn't it be great if we could all attend in droves the modern equivalent of the reserve game, the youth or under 21 games every second Saturday, basically funding our club, supporting our team and encouraging our future success, even 10,000 would force the game to be played at Ibrox, and ultimately, and even in the short term, help to encourage us to reduce our attendance at away games by boycotting those who hate us with a passion, and starving them of the Blue Pound by pouring our resource in to supporting the other  Gers teams and funding our club at the same time ?

Great post mate, that takes me back. In the 70's I wasn't allowed to go to first team games without ma da until I was 15 but was allowed to attend the reserve matches with mates until then. Some great memories.

3 hours ago, MisterC said:

This mate,on top of all the midweek games there's zero chance of the pitch surviving in good nick,sadly.

Used to love going to these. Seeing guys like Hagen, Miller, Murray, Robertson, Morrow, Scott, McSwegan, Spencer etc in the 90s.

Then there would be an extra buzz when a first team player was involved. The one that sticks out is the Duncan Ferguson one against them. 

Used to go to Broadwood and Stenhousemuir when our reserve games were there midweek.

But the old firm reserve games at Ibrox were tasty. One game I saw a young Barry Ferguson  gliding over the pitch outclassing a strong celtic team. Nissy broke an opponents leg just in front of me in that game.

20 hours ago, tannerall said:

Addendum:

remember going to res.game about 1961 playing aberdeen a wee boy was at no.10 and he scored 4 or 5 ,i think it was 8/0  his name was willie henderson and he was just am,azing had heard of him but tha was the first i saw him and he got even better .

21 hours ago, hawkfalcons said:

loved the reserve games in 70s 80s was part of your season book remember going to ian durrants comeback game i was in govan front sure we played hivees must have been over 20,000 that day 

That's the one that sticks out in my mind that I went to... Must have been early 90s  I think... Went with my Dad and a couple of guys from the pub I drank in... Thought it was either Hivs or st Johnstone, but pretty sure it was Hivs...

Like you've said, definitely 20+ thousand there... Great turn out for one of my favourite players... 

Use to go to reserve games when I was young in the late 60s early 70s . I would love if if they were able to play "reserve" games at Ibrox. I appreciate there would be pitch issues but it would be great to go and also give the club some more money. I don't go to away from games so this would be great. 

I remember going to the reserve games when the goalies jumper was between McCloy and Kennedy, I was just a wee guy and was the first time I heard players shouting to each other, "Man oan" had me baffled.

I also dogged school now and then and would go over and watch the training games in the Albion.

On 11/05/2020 at 10:06, LochendBilly said:

I remember going to the reserve games when the goalies jumper was between McCloy and Kennedy, I was just a wee guy and was the first time I heard players shouting to each other, "Man oan" had me baffled.

I also dogged school now and then and would go over and watch the training games in the Albion.

That was one of the great things about the reserve games, was like grass roots football, you could here the players shouting at each other, the coaches and the managers in the dug out shouting instructions, even the referee giving instructions and warnings along the way, was way more interactive. 

I imagine a lot of folk at the smaller teams enjoy this kind of interaction with the team and the players, rather than just being anonymous figures in a  crowd. 

Imagine being at an old firm game with only a few hundred in attendance, I suspect there would be so many personal clashes going on, the general crowd spirit would just be ignored.

Archived