Favourite Rangers player

dougie76

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Laudrup, Albertz, McCoist.

Loved Stefan Klos, Neil McCann and Pieter Huistra too.

Pick it out.

On a side note can anyone remember what game he done that daft dive in front of the ref? For the life of me a canny remember who it was against.

39 minutes ago, dougie76 said:

Pick it out.

On a side note can anyone remember what game he done that daft dive in front of the ref? For the life of me a canny remember who it was against.

Was against Falkirk. It may have been the game we got knocked out the League Cup?

Edit: Found it. Was a League game in the same season, not the League Cup game.

25 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Was against Falkirk. It may have been the game we got knocked out the League Cup?

Edit: Found it. Was a League game in the same season, not the League Cup game.

That's the one :lol:, cheers.

Lorenzo as a boy. Liked McCann too. First player I remember really favouring was Alan Mclaren oddly. 

Since then apart from the obvious like Barry it's been Shota, Weir and Novo

Alex MacDonald. 

Just missed out on Baxter unfortunately.

So could've been the obvious big name goalscorer like Stein, or the really skilled footballers like Tommy McLean, and Davie Cooper, or the big solid full back players like Forsyth and Jackson, John Greig, the team leader who epitomised the club, or the class act that was Sandy Jardine, and in retrospect, big Derek Johnstone would have been a fair hero. Maybe even Willie Johnston, talented player,  who played with his heart on his sleeve and, just a wee bit nuts, but you could see he enjoyed playing football and had a sense of mischievousness.

But ultimately Doddy appealed to me the most, the midfield engine who linked all those class players together, never gave up, never held back, yet stayed composed, never really lost his self control, understood the game he had to play and the awareness of  what went on around him, always professional, could go on and on, was skilled in ever area of play, good team player, and  the goals he scored on big occasions was the icing on the cake. 

Still can't believe he was never given his chance to prove his skills in the Scotland team.   Closest player I can compare him too in a Gers shirt is Gattusso, who filled a space in our midfield and did well,but look what a brilliant player he became after being given his chance in the Italian national team. 

Baxter .... anyone who saw him ... even if they were a tarrier ..... could not deny his brilliance.

Laudrup ..... as above ..... plus that famous header that won us our second genuine 9IAR on the field of play ..... changed fucking days now.

We have had so many class acts .... it actually hurts me to have to miss out all the players that stood out for me over the years ..... suffice to say the majority mentioned in this thread would be a winner for me.  

:UK:

Archived