Sign in to follow this  
eejay the dj

50 years 1971/2021 Our clubs saddest day

Obviously know about it and what happened but don't actually know a lot about what actually happened that day. Obviously know a lot more about Hillsborough as its a lot more publicised and I have a mate who was there. His story about it is horrific, I knew he was a big Liverpool fan but didn't know he wad there until I seen him break down in tears when they got He's not heavy he's my brother to number one. The Bradford fire is another horrific one and they tend to use it a lot in training videos for my work because some people in complete shock walked into the fire which sounds horrific.

I sometimes feel the Ibrox disaster's get dummed down compared to others. I duno if thats good or bad Tbh. Its history that should be talked about but it's also good that the people that were truly affected get to grieve in peace.

magic8ball, HG5 and eejay the dj like this

I was 7  at the time, and had been pestering my parents to go to the football with my older brother,but i was always fobbed off even so i was being allowed to go to one of the minor games, in the future, that changed after the tragedy it was to be another couple of years before i was lifted over the turnstiles of the west enclosure, as a kid you dont understand these things you have your own selfish interest at heart, as you grow up the enormity of what happened starts to unfold as the years go by and you form a better appreciation of what happened so much so that i cant listen to elton john sing ing this song, i first seen this clip on the Rock and Roll years many moons ago but i have lifted it from youtube, it chokes me ,         its on the first 5 minutes                                               

tannerall, HG5 and eejay the dj like this

On 22/05/2020 at 10:39, bazman said:

I was 7  at the time, and had been pestering my parents to go to the football with my older brother,but i was always fobbed off even so i was being allowed to go to one of the minor games, in the future, that changed after the tragedy it was to be another couple of years before i was lifted over the turnstiles of the west enclosure, as a kid you dont understand these things you have your own selfish interest at heart, as you grow up the enormity of what happened starts to unfold as the years go by and you form a better appreciation of what happened so much so that i cant listen to elton john sing ing this song, i first seen this clip on the Rock and Roll years many moons ago but i have lifted it from youtube, it chokes me ,         its on the first 5 minutes                                               

Thanks for sharing this mate . I would imagine , it's had the same effect on many bears through the years 

HG5 likes this

That day had a major impact on my life as it finally put paid to religion for me.       I don't wish to dwell on what I did and saw that day but suffice to say that it doesn't get any easier every passing year.    The families of those who lost a loved one must go through hell every day.   My thoughts are with them.

I still have a vivid memory of that tragic day that will live with me forever so here is my recollection of the disaster with the backstory from my perspective.

My pals and I went to Ibrox for the game, most of us were members of the Dennistoun RFC and the bus left from Aberdour St. as usual.  As it was an OF, we didn’t stand in our normal area that was in the Derry Shed near the small under stand entrance towards the away end so for OF games we moved and this time were up the back of the Copland Rd. end of the stadium.  As it got close to full time and they were ahead a few of the guys left early but me and my best mate Chan stayed right to the end and saw Colin Stein get the equaliser.  At full time we left by staircase 13 and everyone was in a great mood.  The staircase was absolutely crammed and I remember just behind us there was a guy on another guys shoulders celebrating, just as we reached the bottom of the stairway, my mate said to me to look back as there was this huge kind of clear area now with nobody visible but as it was 2nd January and dark by now we never thought anything about it.

We headed back to our supporter’s bus which was parked on Fairley St as normal and left for home without I think 3 people from the outgoing journey who always travelled together.  The bus home was in great spirits and we knew nothing of what had happened.  The bus dropped off as usual but gave me and my mate a lift home as it passed along my road on its way back to the depot.  I remember when I got off the bus my parents were standing at their front door in tears as they by then knew what had happened and told me, this was the first I knew of the disaster.  On the Sunday I found out that one of those who had tragically perished was William Summerhill who I think was 14 and was one our club members.

R.I.P. Billy

:rip: