Ferguson and Dykes

Dykes gives us a plan B. When teams fall deep and defend the box, he can be an aerial threat that we don't have right now.

Ferguson, I am not sure he is better than Docherty. I would have taken a chance on Ferguson for the £250k Aberdeen paid - but I suspect we would need to add another '0' to get him from Aberdeen. He is not worth that.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

Dykes gives us a plan B. When teams fall deep and defend the box, he can be an aerial threat that we don't have right now.

Ferguson, I am not sure he is better than Docherty. I would have taken a chance on Ferguson for the £250k Aberdeen paid - but I suspect we would need to add another '0' to get him from Aberdeen. He is not worth that.

He's miles better than Docherty. 

Docherty can hardly pass a ball 5-yards.

I get people not wanting us to sign Ferguson because we've been stung by so many dross SPFL players but he's head and shoulders above the likes of Docherty.

We need a a defensive midfielder someone who can start attacks and break play up Davis is a very good player but don't think he has the legs to play every game he was poor towards the end of last season. Kamara is either a 4/10 or a 10/10 in games feel we might cash in on him this summer. Jack is probably our most consistent player in the full squad when he's playing but has been more a box to box player with Davis holding. Jack chips in with the odd goal but probably not enough for the position he plays could you play Jack sitting and Ferguson where Jack currently plays? Am not so sure and I like Ferguson as a player just feel if we want to win the league we need better than Ferguson but he would add some dig into our midfield which I feel we lack in games that aren't going our way. 

On Dykes I am torn same as with Kamberi are they improving us or is it more deadwood just 50/50 on both of them.

A few years back someone asked me in a Rangers club prior to getting on the bus what we needed and I said I Ferguson not B Ferguson still stand by that we need a player who has grit cares for the club and lets others play and is also a committed quality individual apart from the highlights in his hair early on!:dance:

Dykes isn't someone who's going to net you 25 goals a season.. However he is the kind of player who can dominate your bog standard SPL defence physically. Either through creating space or potentially linking up with creative and mobile players like Kent and Hagi, in turn allowing them more opportunities to get beyond the striker and score goals. Morelos and Defoe do not offer that.. They just want the ball to feet and their instinct is to shoot.. Morelos can also bully a defence, but he's not interested in linking up if there's the possibility of having a shot himself.

8 minutes ago, Iakona said:

Dykes isn't someone who's going to net you 25 goals a season.. However he is the kind of player who can dominate your bog standard SPL defence physically. Either creating space or potentially linking up with creative and mobile players like Kent and Hagi, in turn allowing them more opportunities to get beyond the striker and score goals. Morelos and Defoe do not offer that.. They just want the ball to feet and their instinct is to shoot.. Morelos can also bully a defence, but he's not interested in linking up if there's the possibility of having a shot himself.

Said the same myself mate. 

Dykes isn't a poacher, but he's a presence upfront who will win battles, bring others into play and create space for others which will (hopefully) lead to a lot more goals overall. 

2 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Said the same myself mate. 

Dykes isn't a poacher, but he's a presence upfront who will win battles, bring others into play and create space for others which will (hopefully) lead to a lot more goals overall. 

Aye, you basically said what i wanted to say, but in a lot less words. :lol:

We would likely see far more goals from our wide and attacking midfield players with someone like Dykes playing upfront. It would be a great plan B for us.. Right now when Morelos is struggling, we are relying on someone who's a whole lot less mobile and has no physical presence. No wonder we fucked away so many points this season.

1 minute ago, Iakona said:

Aye, you basically said what i wanted to say, but in a lot less words. :lol:

We would likely see far more goals from our wide and attacking midfield players with someone like Dykes playing upfront. It would be a great plan B for us.. Right now when Morelos is struggling, we are relying on someone who's a whole lot less mobile and has no physical presence. No wonder we fucked away so many points this season.

Aye. Even if it's not Dykes, that's fine, but we need someone like him. It doesn't actually need to be him, but we badly lack that style/option.

11 hours ago, Blues Brother said:

I reckon Ferguson is a good player with potential. I think if we don’t move for him in this window, he will end up going down south in a year or so. Then there’s no chance of getting him. 

our midfield can be a bit lightweight at times, I think he’d help in that aspect but can also play.

id like him signed at the right price. But what price would that be? 
is £2m increased to 3 with add ons what the sheep would sell for? 

We just got Hagi for in the region of £3m. 

Anything more than £1m for Ferguson is too much. And if he doesn’t walk into the filths starting lineup then he shouldn’t be signing for us. We need quality now. 

No for me. 

8 hours ago, British_Empire said:

Aye. Even if it's not Dykes, that's fine, but we need someone like him. It doesn't actually need to be him, but we badly lack that style/option.

Gerrard thought Lafferty was going to be that player when he signed, but he’s never been a good aerial presence. 

Id compare Dykes to Stephen Thompson, a limited player but someone who gives us a plan B and has his uses. People forget but Thompson actually scored the goal that won the original helicopter Sunday, not Arteta

9 hours ago, badjon said:

A few years back someone asked me in a Rangers club prior to getting on the bus what we needed and I said I Ferguson not B Ferguson still stand by that we need a player who has grit cares for the club and lets others play and is also a committed quality individual apart from the highlights in his hair early on!:dance:

I have been saying the same thing for ages,  someone like Stuart McCall, Ian Ferguson  Alex Macdonald  is what we desperately need in midfield   it's fine having skilful players but what we need is a real box to box ball winner with a never say die attitude,  that's what we need in the rough and tumble Scottish league 

15 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

Gerrard thought Lafferty was going to be that player when he signed, but he’s never been a good aerial presence. 

Id compare Dykes to Stephen Thompson, a limited player but someone who gives us a plan B and has his uses. People forget but Thompson actually scored the goal that won the original helicopter Sunday, not Arteta

I’d compare Dykes to Uche from Hearts. 

Big aggressive lump that likes to get it folks faces. Should of been sent off twice against us (won’t get away with that playing for us). The type of striker that if he gets 10 goals a season it’s ‘great season’.

Do we need a target man upfront? Yes. But I don’t think Dykes is that answer. I’d expect if we are going to sign Dykes it would be late in the window once we’ve exhausted all our other targets. 

Walter Smith would’ve had Dykes signing in the last January window after seeing him physically bully our two centre backs whenever we played Livingston

The more I think about it the more it screams one of Walter’s curveball signings like Velicka

49 minutes ago, ChampionsAgain said:

I’d compare Dykes to Uche from Hearts. 

Big aggressive lump that likes to get it folks faces. Should of been sent off twice against us (won’t get away with that playing for us). The type of striker that if he gets 10 goals a season it’s ‘great season’.

Do we need a target man upfront? Yes. But I don’t think Dykes is that answer. I’d expect if we are going to sign Dykes it would be late in the window once we’ve exhausted all our other targets. 

He's a lot better with the ball at his feet than someone like Ikpeazu. The boy can actually play football for one.

His goal against celtic, he was quick off the mark with his feet and his brain... showed great technique to finish it. He's not just a big lump. I actually watched that game, Julien was shite scared to go near him,

1 hour ago, plymouthranger said:

This is the point I'm trying to make about having at least 4 options up top and Thompson is a good example. He didn't play much and wasn't particularly great but offered enough to get 5-10 goals for us making as many starts and plenty of subs appearances and that's enough to get over the line. We don't have anything like this just now.

Different games call for different things. We can get away with playing a certain way for a while because the quality we have in the side but teams catch up and in our league you play teams enough times that half way through a season they work you out. This is why we need variety up top!

35 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Walter Smith would’ve had Dykes signing in the last January window after seeing him physically bully our two centre backs whenever we played Livingston

The more I think about it the more it screams one of Walter’s curveball signings like Velicka

Velicka is another example of having different strikers about. Wasn't a great player at all but offered enough when called upon. Scored the winner at Falkirk at the start of the season then we barely seen him until April. He comes in scores an opener at Ibrox against Motherwell & Hearts in games we win and scores a goal to put us 2-1 up away at Easter Road in a game we went on to win.

These wee goals, especially the one against Falkirk, matter over the season and I just dont think that 3 strikers is enough especially when one can be unreliable like Morelos and one struggles up front himself in Defoe.

10 hours ago, Iakona said:

Dykes isn't someone who's going to net you 25 goals a season.. However he is the kind of player who can dominate your bog standard SPL defence physically. Either through creating space or potentially linking up with creative and mobile players like Kent and Hagi, in turn allowing them more opportunities to get beyond the striker and score goals. Morelos and Defoe do not offer that.. They just want the ball to feet and their instinct is to shoot.. Morelos can also bully a defence, but he's not interested in linking up if there's the possibility of having a shot himself.

he can also do this

51 minutes ago, Iakona said:

He's a lot better with the ball at his feet than someone like Ikpeazu. The boy can actually play football for one.

His goal against celtic, he was quick off the mark with his feet and his brain... showed great technique to finish it. He's not just a big lump. I actually watched that game, Julien was shite scared to go near him,

Not for me mate. A poor season in the championship then a OK season in the top league doesn’t sound appealing to me. 

He’s at his best when Livi are on the counter attack, hence why his best games have been against us and the tarriers. Plenty of space to run into behind the CB’s and cause damage. 

Hows he going to do when he’s got zero space and there’s 10 players defending in front of him? I’m no convinced at all and I think we can do miles better. 

I don’t know if I’ve missed something here but obviously all the dykes chat has took off on here and twitter. Have moves been made or is it just a suggestion ? Can’t find anything to say it’s happening but folk are talking about it as if it’s done 😂

17 minutes ago, kirkiebear said:

I don’t know if I’ve missed something here but obviously all the dykes chat has took off on here and twitter. Have moves been made or is it just a suggestion ? Can’t find anything to say it’s happening but folk are talking about it as if it’s done 😂

His brother posts on here under the name @Sket and he says medical booked in for Thursday.

If its a choice between Dykes and Kamberi then I would have chosen Kamberi all day long, but I do think Dykes will do well and give us something we dont have at the minute! It will also allow us to play with 2 upfront and cause problems in a way that Morelos and Defoe couldnt.

As for Ferguson, I think he would be a good addition, hes just about to turn 21 and is a very dynamic midfielder, but hes not a defensive player and I dont think he is that different to Docherty. People forget just how good Docherty was at Accies and how well he done at Shrewsbury and Hibs.

I dont think it has to be one or the other either, with some of the players leaving we could easily include them both in our squad.

26 minutes ago, ChampionsAgain said:

Not for me mate. A poor season in the championship then a OK season in the top league doesn’t sound appealing to me. 

He’s at his best when Livi are on the counter attack, hence why his best games have been against us and the tarriers. Plenty of space to run into behind the CB’s and cause damage. 

Hows he going to do when he’s got zero space and there’s 10 players defending in front of him? I’m no convinced at all and I think we can do miles better. 

Have you even watched Livi or seen his goals this season?

His best games havent come against us/celtic for a start, although he did win a lot of praise for how well he done against celtic, but of all the goals he scored this season you will be lucky to find 2 that were from him having "plenty of space to run into behind the CB's"

In fact the only goal where he does that is against celtic and even then its from a freekick/goalkick and the ball is put in over the top, something that we would be able to exploit as well.

If it's true am no convinced about Dykes to be honest. Just as I was about bringing Lafferty back.

At best he would give us a different back-up option up front against the SPFL fodder.

We desperately need better quality.

Archived