Ferguson and Dykes

Just now, British_Empire said:

Yes please - but do you think he'd come permanently to be number 2 to Morelos and cost the same outlay at Dykes would? if he came on loan on January, we (probably) wouldn't have had to worry too much about the financial side of that and keeping him happy if he didn't play ever week.

Vydra now compared to Vydra in January on loan is a much different proposition, sadly. 

I'd probably be looking at a loan again, especially if we're not sure what is going to happen with Morelos. We need to be more flexible in our formation, I'm positive I've seen him play just off the main striker as well. I hate all the chat about 3rd or 4th choice. Fair enough if you've got Morelos banging them in for 4 months of a season nobody deserves a look in but we need flexibility and tell these players they aren't sitting on a bench till Morelos is suspended and Defoe is injured. Their on the bench incase we need something different, exactly like Kamberi did at St Johnstone then we reverted straight back to type.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ChampionsAgain said:

Not my job mate, If we are going in this early in the window for Dykes it doesn’t fill me with much hope. 

Players will become available once everyone’s league ends. 

To answer your first question - Doidge, Cosgrove, Uche, Kamberi and Dykes all fit that description and I’d take none of them.

I know it's not your job but I think we have far too high expectations in regards the role he'd actually be brought in to play. It's not a marquee signing that's required (while Morelos is here anyway, until we need to splash cash on a first choice, top striker)

3 hours ago, The Beast said:

He'd have been a backup to Morelos when he was unavailable or off form. Relying on a 37yo for that is not sensible.

But he's not even close to being like morelos, defoe at 37 is still an absolute athlete as he proved, but as a lone striker he'd have been just as pointless, that is down to gerrard trying to make square pegs fit into round holes

3 hours ago, ChampionsAgain said:

Aye I have actually. Watched his Qots goals also. 

I said he’s at his best when he’s running in behind, which he is. He’s not a prolific goalscorer by any means. His best attributes are running and getting in folks faces. 

If this is what we have come up with for our striking options it’s completely underwhelming. 

My work sponsor livi and I have been at every home match they have played this season and although he is a lot faster than people give him credit for I wouldnt say he its his "best" attribute and certainly not something he relies on.

He is very good on the air and has a good first touch, if we are playing against teams that park the bus I have no doubt he will be able to contribute, either as a focal point if we go long or for crosses and people looking to get it into his feet and play off of. 

I mean you mentioned his QoTS days, he scored 23 goals in 2 and a half seasons, which might not be unreal but he got 34 assists in 2 seasons playing with Stephen Dobbie, showing that he is so much more than just a runner that gets in folks faces.

When Dykes came on as a sub at Ibrox, he caused chaos, had at least 2 quality attempts at goal from outside the box,one a cracking hold off,turn and shot.

I think he has  something about him and could be a cracker for us. He caused that gangly french lettuce all sorts of problems as well playing the mhanks

55 minutes ago, Del said:

My work sponsor livi and I have been at every home match they have played this season and although he is a lot faster than people give him credit for I wouldnt say he its his "best" attribute and certainly not something he relies on.

He is very good on the air and has a good first touch, if we are playing against teams that park the bus I have no doubt he will be able to contribute, either as a focal point if we go long or for crosses and people looking to get it into his feet and play off of. 

I mean you mentioned his QoTS days, he scored 23 goals in 2 and a half seasons, which might not be unreal but he got 34 assists in 2 seasons playing with Stephen Dobbie, showing that he is so much more than just a runner that gets in folks faces.

His next move should be a team like Aberdeen and see how he performs there. 

At the moment, he is bang average and has done nothing to deserve a move to us. 

If he didn’t make an arse of Julien in 1 game we wouldn’t even be talking about a transfer. 

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

But he's not even close to being like morelos, defoe at 37 is still an absolute athlete as he proved, but as a lone striker he'd have been just as pointless, that is down to gerrard trying to make square pegs fit into round holes

Exactly, our strikers are so very different it's difficult to change them out without changing the time in a big way and sometimes it has really fucked us. Our players are generally good as long as the system is working. Change up the system and they have difficulty letting go of the previous tactics. 

I guess that's the difference between good players and very good players.

26 minutes ago, ChampionsAgain said:

If he didn’t make an arse of Julien in 1 game we wouldn’t even be talking about a transfer. 

Yeah, then you get, when he does well ffs should have signed him when we had the chance, now the sheep want gazillion million

Every now and then you have to take a chance on players m

23 minutes ago, ChampionsAgain said:

Sorry, I'd be inclined to disagree. 

He's 24 and a good season or two at the likes of Aberdeen would see his profile and his value grow, possibly to the point it would need to be a significant bid to get him.  And then when you throw in the sheep's absolute hatred of us, then there's unlikely to be any reasonable offer accepted from us at all....in fact, even a ridiculous offer risks getting rejected by them.

If he fit's the bill, then we have to go now imo.

3 hours ago, British_Empire said:

Yes please - but do you think he'd come permanently to be number 2 to Morelos and cost the same outlay at Dykes would? if he came on loan on January, we (probably) wouldn't have had to worry too much about the financial side of that and keeping him happy if he didn't play ever week.

Vydra now compared to Vydra in January on loan is a much different proposition, sadly. 

I think Vydra only becomes an option if Alfie goes, if we made 10/12million over the two deals then I think that would be good business, I genuinely think Vydra would be a great fit for us

1 minute ago, hammer93 said:

I think Vydra only becomes an option if Alfie goes, if we made 10/12million over the two deals then I think that would be good business, I genuinely think Vydra would be a great fit for us

Vyrda was coming in even though Morelos was still here 

Just now, ChampionsAgain said:

Vyrda was coming in even though Morelos was still here 

Yip on loan....at that point he was to bolster our challenge....I'm looking at signing him permanently....I'd be amazed if we paid around 4/5 million and keep Morelos into the bargain....possibly a years loan if Alfie doesn't go?

Just now, hammer93 said:

Yip on loan....at that point he was to bolster our challenge....I'm looking at signing him permanently....I'd be amazed if we paid around 4/5 million and keep Morelos into the bargain....possibly a years loan if Alfie doesn't go?

I don’t think we will get Vyrda now but it’s definitely the type of player we should be looking at

10 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Aye, agreed. I'd still be looking for 20 for Morelos, I don't care if folk disagree or think he's not worth it - I'd be saying that's the price, if we don't get it then he stays.

5 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Aye, agreed. I'd still be looking for 20 for Morelos, I don't care if folk disagree or think he's not worth it - I'd be saying that's the price, if we don't get it then he stays.

I think it's more to with post covid...I'm not entirely sure what money clubs will have as a budget moving forward....for the good of the game I hope the market sort of collapses....all this nonsense that clubs pay for average players needs to stop....I mean 78million for Harry Maguire...come to fuck....the cunt wouldn't get a game in front of Gough or Butcher 

19 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

I think it's more to with post covid...I'm not entirely sure what money clubs will have as a budget moving forward....for the good of the game I hope the market sort of collapses....all this nonsense that clubs pay for average players needs to stop....I mean 78million for Harry Maguire...come to fuck....the cunt wouldn't get a game in front of Gough or Butcher 

Yeah that's true but I'd be thinking further afield to when Covid is over with and things are back to normal and we've sold Morelos for about half his value due to it.

Let's be honest, we don't really have to sell him anyway. Especially if the Covid means we won't get what we want for him.

We can see it as best of both worlds - hold onto him and use the crisis to strengthen the rest of our XI due to the reduced prices.

Need to remember with Morelos too, the couple of years he's been here he's signed 3 (maybe even 4) contract extensions to enable us to get the top dollar for him that we wan't. We've invested a lot for when that day comes so I'd be in no rush. 

It's still a gamble, he could have a stinker next season rendering him next to no value but it's a risk I'd still take.

Archived