Do We Underappreciate What Our Club And Support Have Achieved In The Past 8 Years ?

tannerall

A reaction to a great  post from the new football kit thread.

46 minutes ago, TheFamousPigeon said:

https://castore.com/uk/castore-x-Rangers-partnership/

You know what - if you'd have said whilst we were stood playing Annan that in a few years we'd be sat here with Steven Gerrard at the helm, signing a kit deal with a new innovative British sportswear brand and challenging good teams in Europe. You'd have laughed.

We aren't quite where we want to be, sure. But we're moving in a new direction. An unexpected direction. I think this COVID situation might actually change a lot more than we realise - and it'll require adaptation and innovation. We're in a good position for this; not quite the full deal; raw; fresh and hungry. I think the old narratives, the old dichotomies of the past are slipping away.

Interesting times ahead.

A very good, and much needed,  post to remind us of our real position, and actually how much we have really achieved.

We have been, and still are, up against a member association which has chosen to restrict us rather than be neutral or, god forbid, help us, along with the fact our major competitor has progressed  to an unforeseen position of much more power, influence and gain, (And of course using corrupt and potentially illegal practices along the way. )

In isolation our climb back from our forced position to the bottom of Scottish football to the position we are in really is a major achievement. (And again a credit to our wonderful support who did so much in getting us there.)

Of course we still have a mountain of corruption to fight against, but we have got to the highest realistic position any club not called cellic can get to in Scotland due to the current trilateral cabal of the SFA. SPFL and cellic football club.  And our European record is highly impressive.

I remember the day  we kicked off at the bottom of Scottish football, with others still seriously looking at options to destroy us in our weakened position.

We are now almost back at the top position in Scottish football. Our achievement in getting there from zero is a true  high spot in our history.

We are almost there. be proud, 55 will be the icing on the cake. 

Fans have been truly magnificent and our European run this season great too.

However we’ve had the second highest wage bill since being in the 3rd division and we’ve won nothing in 9 years.

Not a thing which is truly heartbreaking. The club on the park has literally achieved nothing so no it certainly is not under appreciated.

18 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

However we’ve had the second highest wage bill since being in the 3rd division and we’ve won nothing in 9 years.

Not a thing which is truly heartbreaking. The club on the park has literally achieved nothing so no it certainly is not under appreciated.

In amongst all the negativity there, that was quite ironic, as no doubt the club with the highest wage bill could have a huge advantage.

And didn't we win the 3d, the 2nd (unbeaten), promotion from the 1st, and a Challenge Cup along the way ? Not major, but were there to be won.)

"Failure is just information" -  This is a quote I read recently that really stood out to me. It lets you reflect on how to improve, how to grow. But as a manager it also lets Gerrard know who he can trust, who can stand up and be counted and who has the hunger to be part of his, and the teams, vision.

It's interesting how over the years you could almost FEEL the intangible isn't it? You can sense who aligns with the philosophy of Rangers and who doesn't. Who gets us, who doesn't. 

I think the key word you've said there is pride. We should be proud of ourselves as a fan base, and of the club as it stands.

Of course, we'd all love the cups and titles at this very moment. That's in the DNA of this institution and something that is beyond reproach as an expectation of standard and achievement from the fans, and from the players and management themselves.

But with recent events fresh in mind we can see the hidden hands behind the scenes have pulled every string possible to ensure we've played with one foot in a chain, that we've had to claw and fight our way back to even get where we are right now.

As I said above though; narratives are changing. Globally and locally. This covid event will dispel many old ways of doing and thinking about things. And in our position right now; hungry and nearly unfettered; we are ready to adapt and rise to form a new story.

“Inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity, no matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome.

That has been the philosophy of The Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers.”

For me the Struth speech is still the benchmark by which we refer back to for days of hardship, and for the core essence of what it is to be A Ranger.

I'm touched that you highlighted my morning coffee ramble; thank you.

I have been really impressed with the dynamic James Bisgrove in all of this. He it clearly taking the club in a different direction, allowing us to lead again. His digital strategy is absolutely the right way to go, as someone myself who works in IT, the club will be in a seriously promising position to capitalise on this online presence.

The ‘big brands’ are here to stay - no doubt, but there is no big British alternative. We are getting a bespoke product from an up and comer, who yes we maybe don’t know much about, but are clearly going places with some real financial backing. The branding looks good, the forward thinking nature is exciting, and it really seems like the club is on its way to develop and modernise, rather than play catchup to where we once were.

I don’t believe where we once were in a business sense would be good enough, and Bisgrove’s ideas seem to be leading us further in terms of commercial and marketing.

9 minutes ago, tannerall said:

In amongst all the negativity there, that was quite ironic, as no doubt the club with the highest wage bill could have a huge advantage.

And didn't we win the 3d, the 2nd (unbeaten), promotion from the 1st, and a Challenge Cup along the way ? Not major, but were there to be won.)

We won the Challenge Cup once. Totally fucking embarrassing we didn’t win it four times with the resources at our disposal.

14 minutes ago, tannerall said:

You’re obviously missing the wage bill point given the fact that Ross County ICT St Johnstone Hibs Aberdeen St Mirren and probably others  have won major trophies and we haven’t in 9 years.

The fact you’re trying to claim winning lower league titles as achievements is laughable 

44 minutes ago, tannerall said:

As I said above; standards and expectations of success are beyond reproach at this club; however we need to reframe our thinking and the language we use to really move away from the tough years we've had and to take that next step. 

This is what I was saying about things changing due to the virus. There is a lot of "yeah, but...." used on here. A lot of taking the opposing position mindset. That's natural; we've been stung too man times as of late. 

Swap that BUT for an AND and it really changes a rigid and unconsciously negative mindset towards something positive. 

We won the challenge cup once, but we should have won it four times.

If we had won it four times; the information on failure wouldn't have led to the event we are part of now. If Ally was more successful in that sense, the next manager wouldn't have come in. And Gerrard wouldn't be here now. For example.

If you look at Ancient Greek they had a tense that really changes the way you look at something; The Aorist tense.

A form of verb that shifts the temporal dynamic of the way we talk about something; it means something that began in the past and is still ongoing. An event with an 'internal structure' - continuous.

This is where we are.

21 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Correct. I’ve heard from several tims during last several years that you can only beat what’s put in front of you. Most of the time.

36 minutes ago, TheFamousPigeon said:

If we had won it four times; the information on failure wouldn't have led to the event we are part of now. If Ally was more successful in that sense, the next manager wouldn't have come in. And Gerrard wouldn't be here now. For example.

Fate deals many unexpected hands, you are right, events could have been a lot better, but also a lot worse. 

Best not to look back and dwell too much in the past, better to look to the future from a strong position. 

We haven’t really achieved anything 

In 20 years time a young fan trying to find out more about his clubs history will look at our honours list and wonder why we disappeared off the face of the earth winning nothing for 9 years 

We’ve spent plenty, recruited horribly on and off the field and failed miserably to this point. We as fans have had to pay more attention to off field garbage rather than just the football. 

The support has been first class and more passionate than I can ever recall in my time, this will be the one thing that benefits us when we’re back on top. 

When we compare ourselves to teams like Sunderland, Coventry and Leeds who went down the leagues for various reasons, maybe we haven't done to bad. 

Teams from quite a few larger cities have struggled too, Villa, Birmingham, and especially the Nottingham and Bristol teams and it is only recently Sheffield teams started doing well. 

6 minutes ago, tannerall said:

When we compare ourselves to teams like Sunderland, Coventry and Leeds who went down the leagues for various reasons, maybe we haven't done to bad. 

Teams from quite a few larger cities have struggled too, Villa, Birmingham, and especially the Nottingham and Bristol teams and it is only recently Sheffield teams started doing well. 

Jesus fuck I hope that is fishing

4 hours ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Well that's a lie 

Off the park we are the strongest in years.

On the park is tough because the bheasts have pots of cash to pay mega wages. They seem to always sell someone for 20m. We just got our retail kit deal sorted 2 weeks ago.

I'm confident Gerrard and his team now understand the ins outs and politics of Scottish Football. We won't be far away.

I hope we swap out those with weak mentality. We can't afford to carry passengers who's bottle will crash when we nip to top of the league. 

Over the last 8 years we have been Lions lead by Donkeys. The fans have been outstanding but various boards have been farcical, bumbling around getting into all kinds of very public and costly spats. Rangers at last appear to have a board that seems to know what it is about, shrewd and picking their timing. Maybe we have a board that deserves the fans who support Rangers, I hope so.

No offence to the OP or the person quoted in the OP but it's birthday card pish IMO.

A club our size and with our resources shouldn't take much to get to where we are at the very least. 

We've a massive fan base, season ticket waiting lists and a couple of directors who have been generous with their top-up loans that don't need repaid, for this backwater.

We've excelled in Europe past couple of seasons. That's the exception to what I'm saying.

But the money we have wasted on bad managers, horrendous players and some Turkey members of staff behind the scenes too. 

We are still quite a way off winning a title against a pish-poor celtic team, who the only thing they have going for them is experience in winning trophies in an environment that they've went unchallenged in for so long and have the winning mentality off the back of it due to our collapse. 

It's more about us than it is about them in that regard. 

2 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Jesus fuck I hope that is fishing

If you think so (:huh:), 

Three teams in there that won a European Cup, and every one of them plays in a city which has a bigger population than Glasgow, and the financial l potential of the Premier and Championship leagues, the biggest and 5th biggest leagues in Europe, and decent investment.s

While  folk are investing multi millions in to teams like Cardiff, Leicester and Newcastle, we will  struggle too compete for decent players if we don't get Champions league success, or really serious investment. 

Please think before you post trite meaningless comments for likes, ditto @STEPPS BOY

4 minutes ago, tannerall said:

If you think so (:huh:), 

Three teams in there that won a European Cup, and every one of them plays in a city which has a bigger population than Glasgow, and the financial l potential of the Premier and Championship leagues, the biggest and 5th biggest leagues in Europe, and decent investment.s

While  folk are investing multi millions in to teams like Cardiff, Leicester and Newcastle, we will  struggle too compete for decent players if we don't get Champions league success, or really serious investment. 

Please think before you post trite meaningless comments for likes, ditto @STEPPS BOY

0B50D7DA-66D3-4541-8B7C-5C8DF5DD152A.gif

Archived