Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

9 hours ago, Malkytfp1 said:

He is the exact player I mentioned in another thread. Fits the bill for us. Can utilise him in a number of positions too and stated he would consider us.

Reckon we are 100pc Milners next club, Just hope it's not a year or 2 down the line, The guys attitude must be in the top 1pc of all footballers, 

Hear snippets now and again that Wayne Rooney played too many games and that's why he's burned out in his early 30s, but Milner soon after Rooney made his debut beat his record as the youngest EPL player, and is still playing at the top level 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, southcoastbear said:

Has milner no a couple of years on his present deal yet,  I've had enough  of these players at the end of their careers.

To often they are past their best , surely we must be looking for and deserve better.

I’m sure every year there are reports that he dominates all of Liverpool’s pre season tests and he’s been a model professional in terms of looking after himself for his entire career. 

There’s no chance we are getting Milner (IMO when he does leave Liverpool he will finish his career at Leeds) but he’s the one player at that age that I would have absolutely no concerns about being past it. I think if he wants to he will play until he’s close to 40.

8 hours ago, southcoastbear said:

Dunno much about the lad but Lyle Taylor been through a hell of a lot of clubs in the last 10 years which is always a bit concerning 

The fact he is prepared to down tools at a time when his current club need him to survive relegation is also a concern.

59 minutes ago, STEVEH said:

The fact he is prepared to down tools at a time when his current club need him to survive relegation is also a concern.

He clearly has a big deal lined up elsewhere, maybe us.  His contract is until 30th june so he's being asked to put that at risk to return for 2 or 3  June games, potentially also sign an extension to cover the additional remaining games,  

I'd be loathe to do that as well and would decline playing and if needed take a fine too. Given the unusual circumstances of the league being stopped and restarted again withoutcl a pripervpre season, I get the concerns injuries could be picked up and pending deals jeopardises. It's not a case of downing tools at all for me.

12 hours ago, southcoastbear said:

Dunno much about the lad but Lyle Taylor been through a hell of a lot of clubs in the last 10 years which is always a bit concerning 

He'd be a free transfer but nothing more than a back up to Morelos if he stays, if we are serious about winning things we need a better first choice striker than lyle Taylor imo. 

I would doubt that few on here had heard of Katic, Morelos or Borna before we signed them. All bargains and that's the road we have to keep going down. With limited funds you simply have to look to value for money.

Once the window opens I will not be surprised if we bring in one or two of similar ilk. Highly paid players (failures ?) in other leagues will be of little to no interest. 

11 hours ago, magic8ball said:

Reckon we are 100pc Milners next club, Just hope it's not a year or 2 down the line, The guys attitude must be in the top 1pc of all footballers, 

Hear snippets now and again that Wayne Rooney played too many games and that's why he's burned out in his early 30s, but Milner soon after Rooney made his debut beat his record as the youngest EPL player, and is still playing at the top level 

Rooney's an absolute waster in comparison. 

8 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

I would doubt that few on here had heard of Katic, Morelos or Borna before we signed them. All bargains and that's the road we have to keep going down. With limited funds you simply have to look to value for money.

Once the window opens I will not be surprised if we bring in one or two of similar ilk. Highly paid players (failures ?) in other leagues will be of little to no interest. 

When you want to win trophies sometimes you do need to bring in proven talent who are capable of winning things.

Young talent who are mostly potential is good but you cant win leagues if that's all you are looking at, that would be idiotic.

Jordan Ibe sounds like a dream ticket for the Scottish press. 

Tne trouble is the press and Scottish Football authorities still have a strongly corrupting  influence on the referees, which as evident  as it is, is unlikely to change. 

So any decent player with a reputation for poor temperament, or any sight of weakness we sign will immediately be hammered by hammer throwers and referees, whilst cellic continue to stroll through games with the least fouls against them per match. 

36 minutes ago, the old guard said:

He'd be a free transfer but nothing more than a back up to Morelos if he stays, if we are serious about winning things we need a better first choice striker than lyle Taylor imo. 

No point then  , we need someone  who can really push Morelos for that spot and make hi m put in a greater consistency  of performance,  either that or he is good enough to own the role should Freddo leave which he  has repeatedly  expressed the desire to do.

15 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

When you want to win trophies sometimes you do need to bring in proven talent who are capable of winning things.

Young talent who are mostly potential is good but you cant win leagues if that's all you are looking at, that would be idiotic.

Doubt many would disagree but as always it comes down to budgets. How many of those winners are out of contract, and if not how much will they cost and can we afford? We've released every out of contract player we can, I'm sure we're hopeful of selling some, but that still mightnt be enough cash generated.

It's probably a very difficult balance getting in promising youth / experienced pros within a relatively modest budget compared to what the scum have.

Whether its young or old, we simply can't waste money, every penny needs to count and improve the squad and by and large the 1st team.

1 hour ago, GersInCanada said:

The key is good scouting. Spot talent early and take the risk. This is where celtic have had the edge over Rangers in the last decade.  Plenty of talent in the Eredivisie for example and a lot more reasonably priced than south of the border.

1 hour ago, southcoastbear said:

No point then  , we need someone  who can really push Morelos for that spot and make hi m put in a greater consistency  of performance,  either that or he is good enough to own the role should Freddo leave which he  has repeatedly  expressed the desire to do.

Do we think Morelos will still be here next season ? I was convinced he was off before the pandemic but not sure now as clubs will be tightening their belts and may view Morelos as too much of a gamble in the current financial climate. 

2 minutes ago, STEVEH said:

Do we think Morelos will still be here next season ? I was convinced he was off before the pandemic but not sure now as clubs will be tightening their belts and may view Morelos as too much of a gamble in the current financial climate. 

It would be crazy to sell Morelos in this market. In all honesty, he is needed to get us over the hurdle then sell him next summer for maximum value.

His learning days are over. He needs to produce and score against them.

7 minutes ago, STEVEH said:

Sell sell sell.

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

It would be crazy to sell Morelos in this market. In all honesty, he is needed to get us over the hurdle then sell him next summer for maximum value.

I agree. The message should be knuckle down, help us win a trophy (preferably the title) and then you can go with everyone's blessing in a years time should you want to move on.

4 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I doubt if we sell anyone once the window opens. Prices are going to be way down. 

1 hour ago, G.E.C. said:

Would take Armstrong in a heartbeat. I was glad the Tarriers sold them at the time, unfortunately for us they had McGregor and Christie to replace his goals.

Fucking no way should we be signing that cunt.

Archived