Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Here’s where we need to improve.. (league stats) GP/ goals/YC

Quite pathetic tbh (Not Jack)

B81D3E23-A50E-45A6-B160-DC5D0F180195.jpeg

We need major improvements here for sure. We need our front 3/4 to be contributing double figures each in goals across the season. 

We've been to reliant on morelos for this and that's got to change. Spread the goals across the team. 

14 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

Where do people see arfield playing, coz I'm just no seeing it at the moment

I still think there's a role for Arfield to play. I think he's talented, but I don't think he can combine the trips across to play for Canada and come back to us with fresh legs.

He's still an intelligent link-up player that would be useful to us when used right and at the right times - but not an automatic starter or main player.

Also I've always said a big part of our issues is that we don't have midfielders contributing with enough goals. Them stats are simply not good enough. Barry Ferguson's best season for us he scored that total amount combined himself and other talented midfielders through the years like Gio, Albertz, Gascoigne, Laudrup would chip in with a dozen goals or so each a season.

That's why even though he was a poofy bastard and annoyed us at times, when you sell Windass and you take one person responbsible for 20-goals a season from the midfield away (goals and assists) and don't replace that then you're going to struggle. Thought it was a massive mistake by Gerrard when he done that but had Ejaria and Coulibaley signed to take up roles.

I'd definitely cash in on Kamara.....I don't know if he started believing his own hype but by fuck he fast became a liability after the winter break....I'm in no way singling him out but his performance levels took an alarming dive.

I'd definitely cash in on the two full backs if the money was decent enough (it's rightly been pointed out this may not be the case due to covid) I would also be looking to move Helander and my gut feeling would be Goldson also 

I might be going against the grain but I would still have Arfield & Davis for experience alone....I personally wouldn't be starting either but both would still be decent options from the bench to close games out (something that we have been poor at for 2 seasons now)

Alfie I'm torn between....for all his good their is also the risk he will blow a gasket....he is a marked man so any kind of dissent genuinely gets him in bother....as our talisman for scoring can we seriously gamble that he plays most weeks rather than him sitting in the stands where it's obvious to me was a key factor to our poor form after the winter break, any bid heading towards the £15/20 million mark and I would take it.

If we were to raise £30/35 million from those 6 then replacing them could see us being more adventurous in the market 

38 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

If he could regularly add goals like the ones he did at Ross County, Jack's the best all round midfielder in Scotland by a distance.

That's the problem though he hasn't done it enough. 

You could honestly say his hot run of form before the winter break was nothing more than a flash in the pan compared to the rest of his career at Rangers so far. 

If he doesn't do the business next season it should be his last. 

17 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

That's the problem though he hasn't done it enough. 

You could honestly say his hot run of form before the winter break was nothing more than a flash in the pan compared to the rest of his career at Rangers so far. 

If he doesn't do the business next season it should be his last. 

Not enough goal scoring definitely.

Think you're being a bit harsh with the rest of his Rangers career comments though. Albeit I accept that similarly to Tav the players who have been here for 2 years or longer are going to struggle to shake off the perennial loser tag irrespective of how well they've played in spells until they win something.

5 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Not enough goal scoring definitely.

Think you're being a bit harsh with the rest of his Rangers career comments though. Albeit I accept that similarly to Tav the players who have been here for 2 years or longer are going to struggle to shake off the perennial loser tag irrespective of how well they've played in spells until they win something.

He'll be 29 next year going into his prime and will have been here for 4 years. 

2 or 3 months of playing out his skin is nowhere near good enough. 

1 hour ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Here’s where we need to improve.. (league stats) GP/ goals/YC

Quite pathetic tbh (Not Jack)

B81D3E23-A50E-45A6-B160-DC5D0F180195.jpeg

That's missing Davies - apparently it was 0 goals and 2 assists in 27 league games, 1 goal and 2 assists in 14 europa games, plus 0 goals in the cups.

We seem to love picking on Jack, but at least he can sometimes tackle the opposition. I'm generally not entirely sure where Davies is supposed to be playing, but all I can say for certainty is that he played more than most last year and I'm not convinced he's contributed beyond a few games early season.

Nothing wrong with Jack at all but whoever posted it is right, we need more production from midfield. Kamara is another who is never on the end of things. Same for Aribo.

I will expect double figures in goals and assists from Hagi next year. The same from Kent and whoever plays on the right.

As for Arfield, he still has a role to play but not as the reliable guy Gerrard went for too often. He is no longer a starting 11 player in my eyes.

7 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Nothing wrong with Jack at all but whoever posted it is right, we need more production from midfield. Kamara is another who is never on the end of things. Same for Aribo.

I will expect double figures in goals and assists from Hagi next year. The same from Kent and whoever plays on the right.

As for Arfield, he still has a role to play but not as the reliable guy Gerrard went for too often. He is no longer a starting 11 player in my eyes.

Thought arfield never really picked up where he left off from the end of the season before and he was getting slated quite a lot for his performances. For the abundance of central midfielders we have I'd be happy getting rid of all of them with the exception of Aribo. 

8 hours ago, frenv said:

That's missing Davies - apparently it was 0 goals and 2 assists in 27 league games, 1 goal and 2 assists in 14 europa games, plus 0 goals in the cups.

We seem to love picking on Jack, but at least he can sometimes tackle the opposition. I'm generally not entirely sure where Davies is supposed to be playing, but all I can say for certainty is that he played more than most last year and I'm not convinced he's contributed beyond a few games early season.

Honestly can’t go another season of Davis constantly clipping the ball over  the top for it to run out of play or into the goalkeepers hands.

Fuckin riled me watching it every game from January onwards.

Just now, Smell the hotdog said:

Honestly can’t go another season of Davis clipping the ball over to the top for it to run out of play or into the goalkeepers hands.

Fuckin riled me watching it every game from January onwards.

Every fucking time 😖😖

I don't think your going to get any cms chipping in with a lot goals in the system we play. We play attacking full backs so wev 2 to cover them. We also ask our central cm out the to take the ball from the ch to start play.  The 5 players we  rely on for goals and assists is the full backs and the front 3. No issue with the fb creativity. Alfie till Christmas was scoring for fun. But when he gos off boil the goals dry up. We need a lot more from Kent and whoever plays right (and Alfie 2nd half of season) 

Hopefully with hagi we can change the  system and spread the goals more. 

It’s the defence ,I’m more worried about tbh 

Mcgregor isn’t as sure footed as he once was .Still no1 though 

Tav will be asked to go again .We will get the same offerings as per past 4 years 

Borna is decent enough and would be even better with a more mobile centre pairing 

Katic .This could be his year to hold down a place .I hope so ,as I like him more than Goldson .He could benefit from an extended run in the team .Not being picked on if he makes an error .

Goldson .Like Tav ,will give same as last few seasons .I can’t see any improvement with him there .Would prefer someone more dominant in the air .And someone with attacking threat in opposition box .

The others aren’t going to be number 1 pics and haven’t convinced me ,they are good enough to be number 1 pics either .

Mid to front should be good enough to beat most teams .Even with what we have .
Maybe some additions .Someone who can take chances and run beyond last defender 

We can’t rely on Davis to set pace of the game any more .He is even more powder puff than he was before .Hopefully Hagi takes up the mantle there .Jack automatic pick for me .

Up front .We definitely need a bigger striker with mobility .Someone that can score a goal to break a deadlock, in a vital game regularly would be just perfect 

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

It’s the defence ,I’m more worried about tbh 

Mcgregor isn’t as sure footed as he once was .Still no1 though 

Tav will be asked to go again .We will get the same offerings as per past 4 years 

Borna is decent enough and would be even better with a more mobile centre pairing 

Katic .This could be his year to hold down a place .I hope so ,as I like him more than Goldson .He could benefit from an extended run in the team .Not being picked on if he makes an error .

Goldson .Like Tav ,will give same as last few seasons .I can’t see any improvement with him there .Would prefer someone more dominant in the air .And someone with attacking threat in opposition box .

The others aren’t going to be number 1 pics and haven’t convinced me ,they are good enough to be number 1 pics either .

Mid to front should be good enough to beat most teams .Even with what we have .
Maybe some additions .Someone who can take chances and run beyond last defender 

We can’t rely on Davis to set pace of the game any more .He is even more powder puff than he was before .Hopefully Hagi takes up the mantle there .Jack automatic pick for me .

Up front .We definitely need a bigger striker with mobility .Someone that can score a goal to break a deadlock, in a vital game regularly would be just perfect 

Agree with almost all of that.

While Gerrard perseveres with the Liverpool attacking full back model, we don’t really need wingers so the cries for a right winger will continue to ignored.

If Morelos stays, he will continue to play lone striker role, it’s that simple. However we need far more goals from the three behind him (Kent, Hagi, Aribo?)

We must also be far more flexible when situation demands. For example, nobody plays the lone striker like Morelos so, if he’s absent, we need to sacrifice a holding midfielder (Jack, Kamara?) and play two up front.

Similarly, if we are at home and strong favourites, then again we could sacrifice a holding player, play someone like Arfield as one of the three and release Kent to play a completely free role which would help with parked buses we keep seeing.

A player like Dykes (as an example) would have to accept that he is never going to be first name on the team sheet but could still play a big role.

For me, Davis is finished and Arfield can go too especially if we brought in Ferguson. Defoe is now coach, role model and emergency back up - in that order.

3 hours ago, FlippinEck said:

Thought arfield never really picked up where he left off from the end of the season before and he was getting slated quite a lot for his performances. For the abundance of central midfielders we have I'd be happy getting rid of all of them with the exception of Aribo. 

Because he never really had a break due to playing for Canada, really needs to retire from them otherwise I think he’s just going to burn himself out completely now 

For me, defence is the least of our concerns. I’m not saying it’s perfect but McGregor, Barasic, Goldson, Katic/Helander, and Tavernier are more than capable of being an SPL winning back five. Aside from anything else, if you compare those like-for-like against Forster, Bolingoli, Ajer, Jullien, and Elhamed - we come out favourably. I’m not sure the same can be said in midfield or even upfront. 

5 hours ago, hooooootchy said:

I don't think your going to get any cms chipping in with a lot goals in the system we play. We play attacking full backs so wev 2 to cover them. We also ask our central cm out the to take the ball from the ch to start play.  The 5 players we  rely on for goals and assists is the full backs and the front 3. No issue with the fb creativity. Alfie till Christmas was scoring for fun. But when he gos off boil the goals dry up. We need a lot more from Kent and whoever plays right (and Alfie 2nd half of season) 

Hopefully with hagi we can change the  system and spread the goals more. 

Very similar to Liverpool in that regard. Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Henderson don’t score many goals and are mainly in the team to be workhorses. The onus is on the front three to do that but the difference is their front three score 60 + goals between them a season and out front three score a fraction of that.

It showed when alfredo went through a dip from the winter break we had very little goals from.elsewhere .

Would love Hagi to play number 10. A proper right winger  , a hard as fuck DM aribo to turn into a creative midfielder .another striker if alfredo stays.2 if he goes .

Only silly millions to spend lol

Archived