Plans to convert Albion Car Park !!

Bears r us

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Dan Deacon said:

You could put the las Vegas strip near their dump it would still look like a shitehole. Cant see the problem with the design for these flats and if it helps to regenerate the area and local businesses etc then it's a good thing. 

I’ve no particular problem with the building looks a 100 times better than those new flats. 
Problem I have is the inconsistency of GCC, they have been trying to push these new parking restrictions through for a few years because homes and football grounds don’t mix according to them, but continue to allow the building of homes right up to our front door. How long before the people in these flats start complaining about a match day. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

I’ve no particular problem with the building looks a 100 times better than those new flats. 
Problem I have is the inconsistency of GCC, they have been trying to push these new parking restrictions through for a few years because homes and football grounds don’t mix according to them, but continue to allow the building of homes right up to our front door. How long before the people in these flats start complaining about a match day. 

Any complaints should fall on deaf ears. You can't buy a house next to a stadium like ours and not expect it to be busy. 

1 minute ago, Dan Deacon said:

Any complaints should fall on deaf ears. You can't buy a house next to a stadium like ours and not expect it to be busy. 

While I agree we should do that Dan, we have to remember we are dealing with GCC, who as you know are run by tarriers for tarriers. 

34 minutes ago, Dan Deacon said:

You could put the las Vegas strip near their dump it would still look like a shitehole. Cant see the problem with the design for these flats and if it helps to regenerate the area and local businesses etc then it's a good thing. 

It's as if the way they've done the area around CP is nice the way folk talk. It's fucking horrendous. It's surrounded by dual carriageways, a graveyard, bogging retail complexes, some flats that make any near Ibrox look like Stirling Prize winners and an arena that's basically a grey plastic box. You can see the CP wart from far away, though, so clearly clearly that makes it an example of successful regeneration.

I guarantee that anyone anywhere with any respectable background in urban planning would think it far more of a dog's dinner than the area around Ibrox.

14 minutes ago, Dan Deacon said:

Busy lol. People that live in a city should try to remember that they live in a city.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

It's as if the way they've done the area around CP is nice the way folk talk. It's fucking horrendous. It's surrounded by dual carriageways, a graveyard, bogging retail complexes some flats that make any near Ibrox look like Stirling Prize winners and an arena that's basically a grey plastic box. You can see the CP wart from far away, though, so clearly clearly that makes it an example of successful regeneration.

I guarantee that anyone anywhere with any respectable background in urban planning would think it far more of a dog's dinner than the area around Ibrox.

Agree its tacky at best , but when was the last time you walked about the area around Ibrox ? The place is a fuckin toilet.........

5 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Agree its tacky at best , but when was the last time you walked about the area around Ibrox ? The place is a fuckin toilet.........

Yesterday.

I'd take it over what they've done there every day of the week. Needs Needs improving, but has far more potential to be gotten right.

Not saying it will be gotten right, but the area around CP has had it's grave dug. Will look shite for decades, whereas Ibrox still at least has some pleasant bits within sight of the ground and potential to be improved.

Just now, Inigo said:

Yesterday.

I'd take it over what they've done there every day of the week. Needs Needs improving, but has far more potential to be gotten right.

Not saying it will be gotten right, but the area around CP has had it's grave dug. Will look shite for decades, whereas Ibrox still at least has some pleasant bits within sight of the ground and potential to be improved.

You lost me completely , pleasant bits within site of the ground ? The whole area is a disgrace and has been for years and as long as this catholic council is running things thats the way it will stay because we have fuck all in that boardroom capable of doing anything about it........

8 minutes ago, Inigo said:

It's as if the way they've done the area around CP is nice the way folk talk. It's fucking horrendous. It's surrounded by dual carriageways, a graveyard, bogging retail complexes some flats that make any near Ibrox look like Stirling Prize winners and an arena that's basically a grey plastic box. You can see the CP wart from far away, though, so clearly clearly that makes it an example of successful regeneration.

Agreed, there's a fucking wall going round part of that shitpile in the east ffs. The new developments are nothing to shout about either. A velodrome and other facilities that they got one good use of in 2014 and now are stuck with and some other shitty developments. Newer is not always better, replacing old shite with slightly less shite shite still leaves you with shite.  

Fair enough the area around Ibrox is a bit rundown but gentrification is coming. It's inevitable, it's too close to the city centre, too close to the Riverside, too close.to.other large developments such as Buchanan wharf and the potential pedestrian link from Govan to Partick and the West End for it to area to ignored forever. There's so many brownfield areas especially to the north and around the Albion that are becoming harder and harder to find so close to the city centre these days that's inevitable development will happen soon. Certainly a lot sooner than around some shitehole in the middle of an even bigger shitehole with fuck all around it in the east end. 

1 minute ago, sassaaaa said:

You lost me completely , pleasant bits within site of the ground ? The whole area is a disgrace and has been for years and as long as this catholic council is running things thats the way it will stay because we have fuck all in that boardroom capable of doing anything about it........

Yeah. As in some pleasant buildings and streetscapes. A large number of beautiful tenements and the school.

Immediately around CP has almost nothing of any architectural/urban merit. GCC has maybe not presided over much happening around Ibrox, but thank fuck it hasn't, because what's been allowed to be developed over there is a wasted opportunity. It's an abomination of a regeneration that most cities in our part if the world would be appalled by.

Mixed feelings about these flats, but personally I'm looking forward to Ibrox eventually looking like it's part of the fabric of the city rather than being able to be viewed from distance across barren car parks and grassy urban brownfields.

6 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Yeah. As in some pleasant buildings and streetscapes. A large number of beautiful tenements and the school.

Immediately around CP has almost nothing of any architectural/urban merit. GCC has maybe not presided over much happening around Ibrox, but thank fuck it hasn't, because what's been allowed to be developed over there is a wasted opportunity. It's an abomination of a regeneration that most cities in our part if the world would be appalled by.

Fuckin hell Inigo , beautiful tenements and a school ?

Will agree to disagree :tu:

Just now, sassaaaa said:

Fuckin hell Inigo , beautiful tenements and a school ?

Will agree to disagree :tu:

Yeah, Copland Road and surrounds. If those were in the West End they'd go for a packet. Tenements make great streetscapes. The area isn't as well kept as it should be, but there's at least some building blocks there. Unlike immediately around CP.

4 minutes ago, lgr1991 said:

Agreed, there's a fucking wall going round part of that shitpile in the east ffs. The new developments are nothing to shout about either. A velodrome and other facilities that they got one good use of in 2014 and now are stuck with and some other shitty developments. Newer is not always better, replacing old shite with slightly less shite shite still leaves you with shite.  

Fair enough the area around Ibrox is a bit rundown but gentrification is coming. It's inevitable, it's too close to the city centre, too close to the Riverside, too close.to.other large developments such as Buchanan wharf and the potential pedestrian link from Govan to Partick and the West End for it to area to ignored forever. There's so many brownfield areas especially to the north and around the Albion that are becoming harder and harder to find so close to the city centre these days that's inevitable development will happen soon. Certainly a lot sooner than around some shitehole in the middle of an even bigger shitehole with fuck all around it in the east end. 

4 minutes ago, lgr1991 said:

Agreed. 

If you actually go past/close to the piggery in daylight on a non-match day (I had to for a site visit a few months ago) it's a soul-less shitehole. The compliant mhedia do their part by siting their cameras at the best possible angle to capture the "Tarrier Way" which in reality is a decent bit of landscaping in front of a concrete husk that was paid for by GCC state aid. The facade of Ibrox is one of the most iconic and traditional football stadia in Europe and architecturally on a different planet to their piggery. If the sale of the Albion car park allows us to develop Edminston House (hopefully a museum, sports bar, conferencing facilities etc) and landscape/upgrade the stadium footprint then I reckon it will be good business.

Visitors to Glasgow can reach Ibrox easier than their toilet and that experience should be a positive one.

The Barclays development at Tradeston will see our side of the river and the areas close to us being developed in the next few years

On another note their stadium was built on the cheap and will need major work in the next 10/15 years

21 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Mixed feelings about these flats, but personally I'm looking forward to Ibrox eventually looking like it's part of the fabric of the city rather than being able to be viewed from distance across barren car parks and grassy urban brownfields.

.Community kid on the block Inigo . :unsure:

18 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I like stadiums that are right in the heart of housing areas / built up areas. 

3 minutes ago, gj923 said:

https://govancommunitycouncil.com/events/about-2/minutes/

November and December 2019 minutes - Craig Houston has been involved in some of this in his role with the club

Thanks mate I will have a look. 

I must admit C H was the last person I expected to have anything to with something like this, God help us. 

2 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

Thanks mate I will have a look. 

I must admit C H was the last person I expected to have anything to with something like this, God help us. 

His role seems to be telling the CC that the club have secured extra car parking elsewhere

36 minutes ago, lgr1991 said:

LBH, the area around Ibrox is a ship tip, badly suffering from years of neglect and urban decay, purposely imo.

Modern does not equal bad and some will persist in using any old fucking excuse to decry it. The world has moved on. 

9 minutes ago, gj923 said:

His role seems to be telling the CC that the club have secured extra car parking elsewhere

I have a negative opinion of CH that will probably never leave me but he has been given a job like a few others and I have to live with that. 

Archived