Plans to convert Albion Car Park !!

Bears r us

55 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

I'm sorry but that is just nonsense mate.   Only 4 storeys high and will only block the view if you like sitting in the current car park or work near the ugly gasometer.      The design of red brick and the upper level arched windows is to be in concert with the main stand. 

was the first thing that occurred to me when I saw the photo, it echos Lietch;'s masterpiece rather nicely, folk who think its horrible I dont get. this is 100% a design that is meant to be sympathetic to its surroundings and enhance the stadium vista.

ibrox2.jpg

D5728E43-DF48-4912-92C9-5D23158AB26E.png.aa1c326567ac0cac83d7e7bda1ef4082.png

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

The seemed to clear every house around celtic park starting in the 90's,  they never replaced most of them. 

Probably why it still looks like an urban wasteland.

2 hours ago, Copland bear said:

But have you noticed how over the years the houses around celtic park got pulled down, cleared by the council for them to buy it on the cheap.

Far to close to the stadium, we should be looking to close edminson drive to traffic and have our own walk way, 

It just seems the council are doing all in their power to build houses around Ibrox these days  

No idea why they have decided to build them right up against the road instead of at the back of the site with the retained parking between the building and the road. 

7 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

No idea why they have decided to build them right up against the road instead of at the back of the site with the retained parking between the building and the road. 

Because it's against the basics of urban planning, basically. That would be regarded as terrible planning pretty much everywhere. It's part of the reason Victorians built to the street edge and put other stuff to the back. 'Reinforcing the edge' in planning speak, so as to create streets, as opposed to roads with houses on them. Creates a better urban feel if done properly.

Just now, Inigo said:

Because it's against the basics of urban planning, basically. That would be regarded as terrible planning pretty much everywhere. It's part of the reason Victorians built to the street edge and put other stuff to the back. 'Reinforcing the edge' in planning speak, so as to create streets, as opposed to roads with houses on them. Creates a better urban feel if done properly.

I’ll take your word for it mate. 
I just know if I was living in them I would rather be back from the road. 
Saves the match day parking that’s left walking through the flats on the way to the ground. 

1 hour ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

was the first thing that occurred to me when I saw the photo, it echos Lietch;'s masterpiece rather nicely, folk who think its horrible I dont get. this is 100% a design that is meant to be sympathetic to its surroundings and enhance the stadium vista.

ibrox2.jpg

D5728E43-DF48-4912-92C9-5D23158AB26E.png.aa1c326567ac0cac83d7e7bda1ef4082.png

Exactly.  It will not be very high at 4 storeys and will not obscure the view of the facade of our Main Stand.   If they are of good quality materials and expensive finishing and fittings internally, then they will not be at the cheapest end of the market.

4 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

It's not even that. More like a derelict piece of land that we park cars on.  It is an eyesore. There is a shortage of housing in Glasgow so building quality homes in the area will help improve Govan. 

I dare say the Club has sold it for a decent price too. This will bring us in more money than an infrequently used car park. 

Nobody has said the land has been sold.   There may be a proposed deal in place but nothing will be concluded without planning consent.

4 hours ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

Part of the intention will be to start blocking us in and reduce the visibility of our main stand. 

Wouldn't be surprised if GCC sold the astroturf area to build more flats. 

Pretty sure it was announced not long ago that we had a long term lease on the astroturf park and building across from the main stand.

21 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Pretty sure it was announced not long ago that we had a long term lease on the astroturf park and building across from the main stand.

Ah, you could be right actually mate. I recall that now. My mistake. 

2 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

Nobody has said the land has been sold.   There may be a proposed deal in place but nothing will be concluded without planning consent.

Fair point. The majority of the car park will be no great loss though and is for the greater good imo.

18 hours ago, j1mgg said:

Where the fuck is everyone going to park

And if GCC get their parking restrictions for the surrounding area approved there will be bo where for everyone who has to drive to park

1 hour ago, bluchoo said:

And if GCC get their parking restrictions for the surrounding area approved there will be bo where for everyone who has to drive to park

Like most cities in western Europe these days, they don't want folk to use their cars. They want them to use public transport.

Need top notch public transport for that to be realistic, though...

27 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Like most cities in western Europe these days, they don't want folk to use their cars. They want them to use public transport.

Need top notch public transport for that to be realistic, though...

Exactly. And the current model isnt fit for purpose.  A mainline ibrox station would be a great addition but thats years and alot of £ away

Utter stupidity to allow this to happen, you are sacrificing car parking spaces, you are adding hundreds of new residents to the area who will then be in a position to lodge complaints should the club apply to do anything at the ground, or wider area. This project needs to be binned, you should never sell land around your stadium.

2 minutes ago, Bears&Reds said:

Utter stupidity to allow this to happen, you are sacrificing car parking spaces, you are adding hundreds of new residents to the area who will then be in a position to lodge complaints should the club apply to do anything at the ground, or wider area. This project needs to be binned, you should never sell land around your stadium.

Exactly.

You should be buying more of it. Just that we can't get it for a pound, unlike one other!

Angry at this IF it happens.

Some of us travel to games from well outside Glasgow. Some of us travel to games with older relatives/fans, who HAVE to use the Albion, who cannot walk miles from a RSC bus or from Bellahouston.  Yes, we should be improving the area around Ibrox on all sides, but we should be BUYING up land to do that, not selling it. We should be buying up as much of the Albion as possible up to the back of the petrol station, not flogging half of it.

Also disappointed that some fans here don't seem to be thinking of their fellow Bears.  May 'only' be a car park to you, but its a lifeline for older/disabled fans to see the team they love. My Dad went to his first game in 1950, now well in his 70s, and with some health issues (bad knees) if the Albion goes, so does his chance of seeing Rangers. 

17 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So we already have a problem with residents moaning like wee weans because they live next to a football stadium. So let’s build more homes. 
We already have problems with parking and FGCC’s bonkers plans to move all parking a mile away from the stadium so let’s make it even harder. 

Can never get my head round that. Lived on Loftus Road 4 years ago now and I didnt give two hoots about every second weekend and the mid week games lived up Shepherds Bush, Its not as if you are not aware prior to moving that there is a football stadium FFS. Aye right check schools, council performance, local MP but whilst doing that not realise there is a fucking football stadium next to your house???

On 20/05/2020 at 23:03, Bears r us said:

This was pointed out in another thread but it probably needs it's own one. 

From Glasgow Live https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/Rangers-ibrox-flats-albion-car-18285635

Plans to convert Albion Car Park by Ibrox Stadium into major residential development

160 flats would be built across from Rangers' stadium, at the junction of Broomloan Road and Edmiston Road.

Plans for a major residential development next to Rangers' Ibrox Stadium have been unveiled.

It's proposed part of the Albion Car Park site, at the junction of Broomloan Road and Edmiston Road, be converted into 160 flats across two four-storey buildings.

An online public consultation on the move is seeking feedback on the plans, produced by Merchant Homes in conjunction with Graeme Nicholls Architects.

Merchant Homes have confirmed: "A Proposal of Application Notice was submitted Glasgow City Council on 17th March 2020 outlining the intentions of Merchant Homes Partnerships Limited to develop the site."

The proposals state: "Our ambition for the Albion site is to create a residential development that is both sympathetic to and celebratory of, the history of the area. The site has gone through a number of iterations over the years including former uses as a greyhound stadium, and training ground. The historical and current association with sports on the site is something we are keen to express in our design for the new development."

Meanwhile, it is hoped the design and colour of the development would be in keeping with the historic main stand at Rangers' stadium: "Historic maps show that the site contained a greyhound track with a ‘bowl’ footprint which we think would be interesting to express in any new development. This plan form also fits the site really well.

"In terms of housing as a typology, the established model in the Ibrox area is tenemental perimeter blocks of 4 stories, and we are proposing this as the model for our own development too.

"We are proposing a development of circa 160 flats which will be fully compliant with the new ‘Glasgow Standard’ design standards.

"The form of our proposal consists of two horseshoe plan blocks built up of uniform brick bays featuring stacked windows with arched tops. This form alludes to both the formal consistency of historic tenement blocks found in Ibrox, and also some architectural features typically associated with sports buildings and stadia."

You can view the online public consultation and plans in full here.

AHI_Public_Consultation_Information (1).pdf 25.68 MB · 27 downloads

Is this going to make it impossible to see the stadium when you're driving along the motorway? 

If we still own that ground and we can get 100k a flat, that's the only way I would support this 

53 minutes ago, The Hammer 11 said:

Why the fuck no one at the club has had a bit of savvy to buy a bit of land away from the stadium and build a multi storey on it and run shuttles on match days and on non match days into the city centre baffles me 

If you were to develop a space for 2400 cars (double the Albion's capacity) it would cost around £24m excluding land. If you are buying more land that size in Glasgow you will be paying over the odds in competing with property developers. The ROI wouldn't be worth it.

On 21/05/2020 at 00:10, JCDBigBear said:

The plans look pretty good.   These flats will improve the area.   They are not going to be social housing.

The flats look nice and they do look like the brick that is used in the main stand. 

But its their position that I have a problem with.  We wont be able to see our stadium from anywhere unless you are actually going to it. I always enjoy having a look over to see the stadium when I pass it on the motorway. That will no longer be possible should this go ahead.  I would be wanting a minimum of £100,000k profit per flat minimum to lose that view. 

16 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

If you were to develop a space for 2400 cars (double the Albion's capacity) it would cost around £24m excluding land. If you are buying more land that size in Glasgow you will be paying over the odds in competing with property developers. The ROI wouldn't be worth it.

£1000/parking space? Where you getting that figure from?

10 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

£1000/parking space? Where you getting that figure from?

£10k a space. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/601728/car-park-building-cost-uk-2016/

£590 is the quote for Scotland per m2. 11.52 m2 is standard parking space in the UK, add in access, ramps, space for driving etc. If anything I'm probably under.

Archived