Laudrup or Gazza?

dee9

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/05/2020 at 11:00, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I loved Gazza but fuck me, Laudrup wasn't world class and was a level below Gazza in terms of ability?

Laudrup's issue if he had any was mentality. If he'd have had a bit of arrogance about him and desire to be the best he would have been a standout for any club in world football.

The answer to the OPs question is Gazza though, which for me is about Gazza's will to win rather than him having more ability than Laudrup.

Like saying Ronaldo is a level below Messi mate, not really an insult. 

Laudrup is my favourite ever Rangers player too. 

I was young when they were here (about 10) but I just remember getting this feeling of absolute surety that whenever Laudrup got the ball he’d either score or set-up a goal. He just looked like nobody could ever get the ball from him.

3 minutes ago, BigDak said:

I was young when they were here (about 10) but I just remember getting this feeling of absolute surety that whenever Laudrup got the ball he’d either score or set-up a goal. He just looked like nobody could ever get the ball from him.

First time I watched him the ball ricocheted the height of the Govan Stand as it came down Laudrup killed it with the top of the boot while running forward. There was silence then 50,000 screaming yes.  

20 hours ago, Bobby Hume said:

Loved Gazza to bits ..... many great memories ..... But Laudrup is the best non British player I have ever seen play for us ...... Gazza the best English player .... and Jim Baxter the best Scottish player .... and John Greig the best all round Rangers player. 

🇬🇧

Did you watch Baxter and Greig live?

If so, tell us some more details. In today's world with social media, all players get torn apart for one mistake. What was it like bad then with limited TV and media coverage? Could players escape making some mistakes. We start moaning at our team after 2 minutes in some games..... what would happen if Greig played a slack pass for example or Baxter lost the ball? How consistent were they across a season?

1 hour ago, southcoastbear said:

Let's see gazza and luudrup  both scored about 30 goals great players that they were but Der Hammer got nearly 60 if I remember right , I think I'll go for the  big German .

His record in Old Firm games for goals and assists is frightening. 

He is my favourite player. It's tragic he left us at only 31 year's old.

3 hours ago, MorelosRangers said:

Did you watch Baxter and Greig live?

If so, tell us some more details. In today's world with social media, all players get torn apart for one mistake. What was it like bad then with limited TV and media coverage? Could players escape making some mistakes. We start moaning at our team after 2 minutes in some games..... what would happen if Greig played a slack pass for example or Baxter lost the ball? How consistent were they across a season?

:tu:

Yes indeed .... I did have that pleasure mate ..... Baxter .... had some of the finest touches on the ball that few if any of the best could match today ...... his brilliant insight meant he could read the game like a chess master ..... he was everything you could want in a player and a total winner .......  his inch perfect passing lead to many assists and he could score with precise accuracy if he was in the position to do so .... but he was mainly a defence splitter of the finest quality and made more than he scored .... in short the man was a winner who was like electricity and when needed he could turn a game round with a single flash of brilliance ...... like flicking on a switch.

Greig ..... was a total power house and nowhere near as subtle as Slim Jim ..... but his ferocious strength of character was his not so secret weapon ... a  true captain who would not allow anyone to hide when things got tough .... he was a great tackler and when called upon had his moment of glory when he scored a goal .... his resilience and strength made him one of the finest half backs in the country ..... but there are too many strong points to mention in one post ..... suffice to say Baxter is my all time hero .... but  there are a few good reasons John Greig was deservedly voted our greatest Ranger ...... his unswerving loyalty hence his length of time at the Club .... his consistency in his play along with his fitness .... and of course his very important role as our captain when we won the ECWC in 1972 in Barcelona.

Unpopular as it is today .... back then both players were regulars in winning Scottish teams and they made you proud .... along with the other Rangers in the team .... to be Scottish when you saw them come out onto the national stadium and each turn on their vastly contrasting talents that really sent you home happy to have witnessed two absolute heroes of The Rangers support ..... and the Scottish support .... even the scum support could not deny their ability ..... changed days today.

Both were not perfect .... but they added to our glorious history with their superb talents and undoubtable love of our Club .... and this reinforced to our support what it meant to be a Rangers' player ..... come out and be a winner ...... something that some of our modern day players will sadly never attain.

To answer your last sentence ..... unfortunately ..... or perhaps fortunately .... such were our supports' demands for success back then ..... and gladly still is today ...... if they were under par on the day they would get the same treatment back then as they get today ...... to be a Ranger you have to undoubtably produce the goods .... or the crowd will let you know what they think and that has never changed ..... nor should it or we will be guilty of accepting second best ...... that is what stands out when talking about all the great players we have had ..... again far too many to mention in one post ..... but all mentioned in this thread had that stamp of greatness in their blood as all the above posters clearly suggest ..... and no matter who happens to be your own personal  favourite ..... rest assured he will also be held in the highest of regards by all of our support .... no matter the decade your favourite happens to appear in ..... they are all a part of us and why we keep coming back to witness their genius.

🇬🇧  

People saying in this this thread that Laudrup was more consistant than Gazza :lol::lol::lol:. I had the pleasure of watching both in the same team at Ibrox and they were both head and shoulders above the rest of the team (goalie apart).

Lets not confuse consistency though. Laudrup was brilliant overall for us but far from consistent in his final year before going to Chelsea.

If it's one or the other then Gazza for me but both were amazing and I feel priviledged to have seen them both in the Royal Blue.

5 hours ago, Bobby Hume said:

:tu:

Yes indeed .... I did have that pleasure mate ..... Baxter .... had some of the finest touches on the ball that few if any of the best could match today ...... his brilliant insight meant he could read the game like a chess master ..... he was everything you could want in a player and a total winner .......  his inch perfect passing lead to many assists and he could score with precise accuracy if he was in the position to do so .... but he was mainly a defence splitter of the finest quality and made more than he scored .... in short the man was a winner who was like electricity and when needed he could turn a game round with a single flash of brilliance ...... like flicking on a switch.

Greig ..... was a total power house and nowhere near as subtle as Slim Jim ..... but his ferocious strength of character was his not so secret weapon ... a  true captain who would not allow anyone to hide when things got tough .... he was a great tackler and when called upon had his moment of glory when he scored a goal .... his resilience and strength made him one of the finest half backs in the country ..... but there are too many strong points to mention in one post ..... suffice to say Baxter is my all time hero .... but  there are a few good reasons John Greig was deservedly voted our greatest Ranger ...... his unswerving loyalty hence his length of time at the Club .... his consistency in his play along with his fitness .... and of course his very important role as our captain when we won the ECWC in 1972 in Barcelona.

Unpopular as it is today .... back then both players were regulars in winning Scottish teams and they made you proud .... along with the other Rangers in the team .... to be Scottish when you saw them come out onto the national stadium and each turn on their vastly contrasting talents that really sent you home happy to have witnessed two absolute heroes of The Rangers support ..... and the Scottish support .... even the scum support could not deny their ability ..... changed days today.

Both were not perfect .... but they added to our glorious history with their superb talents and undoubtable love of our Club .... and this reinforced to our support what it meant to be a Rangers' player ..... come out and be a winner ...... something that some of our modern day players will sadly never attain.

To answer your last sentence ..... unfortunately ..... or perhaps fortunately .... such were our supports' demands for success back then ..... and gladly still is today ...... if they were under par on the day they would get the same treatment back then as they get today ...... to be a Ranger you have to undoubtably produce the goods .... or the crowd will let you know what they think and that has never changed ..... nor should it or we will be guilty of accepting second best ...... that is what stands out when talking about all the great players we have had ..... again far too many to mention in one post ..... but all mentioned in this thread had that stamp of greatness in their blood as all the above posters clearly suggest ..... and no matter who happens to be your own personal  favourite ..... rest assured he will also be held in the highest of regards by all of our support .... no matter the decade your favourite happens to appear in ..... they are all a part of us and why we keep coming back to witness their genius.

🇬🇧  

Some post mate, thank you. You were very lucky to see them play live for us. We need alot more players in our team with that winning mentality.

Archived