Laudrup or Gazza?

dee9

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/05/2020 at 09:07, Malvern said:

It was an observation but there is always a critic.

If you want my view Brian Laudrup was better for us but Gazza had a switch in his head that when he triggered it he went tonto all over the place and won us games.

The most petty booking I can remember for Gazza was when the ref dropped his yellow and Gazza to brandish it to him before giving it back, then he got booked for dissent.

Both brilliant players though.

Wasn’t having a go mate.....actually forgot to add a smiley after my opening line.

i then highlighted Gazza had a worse disciplinary record based on the stats available.

Like you said, Laudrup was the better player technically but Gazza had the stardust :)

I know Laudrup scored that header at Utd to win 9IAR but Gaza’s hat trick  to win the league v the sheep was simply sensational. 

Gazza for me still blame Murray for selling him in those remaining games Gazza would have turned draws to wins and loses to draws. The most natural gifted player I have ever seen. Sure he had his faults but all he wanted to do was play football, and when he played boy was he good.

20 hours ago, Bobby Hume said:

:tu:

Yes indeed .... I did have that pleasure mate ..... Baxter .... had some of the finest touches on the ball that few if any of the best could match today ...... his brilliant insight meant he could read the game like a chess master ..... he was everything you could want in a player and a total winner .......  his inch perfect passing lead to many assists and he could score with precise accuracy if he was in the position to do so .... but he was mainly a defence splitter of the finest quality and made more than he scored .... in short the man was a winner who was like electricity and when needed he could turn a game round with a single flash of brilliance ...... like flicking on a switch.

Greig ..... was a total power house and nowhere near as subtle as Slim Jim ..... but his ferocious strength of character was his not so secret weapon ... a  true captain who would not allow anyone to hide when things got tough .... he was a great tackler and when called upon had his moment of glory when he scored a goal .... his resilience and strength made him one of the finest half backs in the country ..... but there are too many strong points to mention in one post ..... suffice to say Baxter is my all time hero .... but  there are a few good reasons John Greig was deservedly voted our greatest Ranger ...... his unswerving loyalty hence his length of time at the Club .... his consistency in his play along with his fitness .... and of course his very important role as our captain when we won the ECWC in 1972 in Barcelona.

Unpopular as it is today .... back then both players were regulars in winning Scottish teams and they made you proud .... along with the other Rangers in the team .... to be Scottish when you saw them come out onto the national stadium and each turn on their vastly contrasting talents that really sent you home happy to have witnessed two absolute heroes of The Rangers support ..... and the Scottish support .... even the scum support could not deny their ability ..... changed days today.

Both were not perfect .... but they added to our glorious history with their superb talents and undoubtable love of our Club .... and this reinforced to our support what it meant to be a Rangers' player ..... come out and be a winner ...... something that some of our modern day players will sadly never attain.

To answer your last sentence ..... unfortunately ..... or perhaps fortunately .... such were our supports' demands for success back then ..... and gladly still is today ...... if they were under par on the day they would get the same treatment back then as they get today ...... to be a Ranger you have to undoubtably produce the goods .... or the crowd will let you know what they think and that has never changed ..... nor should it or we will be guilty of accepting second best ...... that is what stands out when talking about all the great players we have had ..... again far too many to mention in one post ..... but all mentioned in this thread had that stamp of greatness in their blood as all the above posters clearly suggest ..... and no matter who happens to be your own personal  favourite ..... rest assured he will also be held in the highest of regards by all of our support .... no matter the decade your favourite happens to appear in ..... they are all a part of us and why we keep coming back to witness their genius.

🇬🇧  

Very good post Bobby, and sums up our heroes to a T.

You and I, along with quite a few on here, saw with our own eyes, the majesty of what Jim Baxter was as a player..... I say majesty because that's exactly what it was and as you stated, he could "flick a switch" and hey presto,  All us auld yins will always remember Slim Jim, he was, without argument, the best reader of a game ever. 

Jim was a one off, a great player, first Scot and I believe first Brit to play in a World Eleven, he was that good and that's why we remember "the glove"

Gazza for me....the question was about depending on your life to win you a game....as much as I love Laudrup, for me Gazza was the man to take a game by the scruff of the neck and turn it around 

We should think ourselves lucky that we can actually compare the two

4 hours ago, tm91 said:

Just think, for two years we had Gazza, Laudrup *and* Albertz.

For about 10 months or so, we had all three and a young Rino Gattuso. It's astounding when you actually look back on it.

Scary to think that Gattuso went on to become one of the best holding midfielders in the world

Archived