72' cup winners cup

bluenoz

How many are old enough to remember this? 48 yrs ago today. How time flies. I was eight and remember as if it were yesterday. The celebrations at my school went on for weeks. I just realized the 50th anniversary of this will coincide with our 150th  party. One of the biggest days in our proud history.

image.thumb.png.35f57e7e634324d0425315a0336e478d.png

1 hour ago, 32Blue said:

I was 5 and remember my dad being over there with his mates.  Got him a signed '72 squad pic for his 70th and he was well chuffed with it.

Never forget my dad sitting at the kitchen table listening to the radio and going bananas. We're 3 up, we're 3 up 🤣🤣🤣

We as fans don’t give enough credit to this achievement.

Even on this forum hardly a mention. Maybe because a lot of people weren’t around then myself included but it seems to get bypassed.

It was a great achievement as European football was different back then. It may not hold the prestige of the European Cup but just as difficult to win pre 1980s.

The club itself should make a bigger noise about it too.

Hopefully get some stories from people who remember.

I was there, went by minibus £17 including ticket. Group from Moodiesburn and Airdrie, left on the Sunday night and returned the following Saturday.  One of my  greatest lifetime experiences remember a lot of it like yesterday. 

18 hours ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Even on this forum hardly a mention. Maybe because a lot of people weren’t around then myself included but it seems to get bypassed.

It was a great achievement as European football was different back then. It may not hold the prestige of the European Cup but just as difficult to win pre 1980s.

Good point mate but back in the day it was every bit as important as the EC,both played to the same knockout format both wi very high ratings. The modern day CL has f**ked everything up,all about the money now :-(

I was at Barcelona in 1972,aged 18.  It was my greatest experience of all my years as a  Rangers supporter and no matter who says anything about the pitch invasion the truth is that we had to get on the pitch away from Francos' thug police force.  The support that night stood up to them which as a young fan was great to witness. Away from the Nou Camp the fans had running battles with the thug cops but we were well looked after by many citizens of Barcelona, especially when they seen the thuggery of Francos mob.  There was about 25,000 fans in the stadium but it felt like 100,000, the team that night were magnificient, everyone of them played their part but Dave Smith showed how great a player he was with a truly great display as sweeper.   His pass for Colin Steins' goal was simply superb.  I was lucky to be able to see us lift a European trophy, just wish we had done it in 2008 also.

On 24/05/2020 at 19:16, ElBufalo20 said:

just look back at the teams we beat,then look at who they beat in 67.brings proportion  it into the size of our victory

• 1 month later...

I was about to turn 16 at that time and remember it well.

The game was shown tape delayed due to Scotland playing Wales at Hampden on the same night in the Home International Championship that used to be played at the end of every Season.

STV had the Rangers game in it's entirety but had to show the Scotland game first and it will forever be remembered for Bill Tennant .   Bill was an old STV presenter who then said Bill said " I won't tell you the score of tonights games but it was a great night to be a Scotsman ".

He is also famous for his comment about Fanny Craddocks baking.  Once she was in studio live and showing how to make doughnuts and when she had finished the bold Bill piped up " Thanks very much for that Fanny and for those of you making them at home i hope all your doughnuts turn out like Fannies".

Cue the place erupting in laughter and the cameraman having a hard time keeping the camera straight due to him near pissin himself laughing.

On 24/05/2020 at 19:16, ElBufalo20 said:

There was a lot of debate at the time if our route to winning this was actually tougher than theirs in 67. Their only tough game was the final whereas we played teams from France, Italy, Portugal, Germany and Russia. 

On 25/05/2020 at 06:40, George McLean said:

I was at Barcelona in 1972,aged 18.  It was my greatest experience of all my years as a  Rangers supporter and no matter who says anything about the pitch invasion the truth is that we had to get on the pitch away from Francos' thug police force.  The support that night stood up to them which as a young fan was great to witness. Away from the Nou Camp the fans had running battles with the thug cops but we were well looked after by many citizens of Barcelona, especially when they seen the thuggery of Francos mob.  There was about 25,000 fans in the stadium but it felt like 100,000, the team that night were magnificient, everyone of them played their part but Dave Smith showed how great a player he was with a truly great display as sweeper.   His pass for Colin Steins' goal was simply superb.  I was lucky to be able to see us lift a European trophy, just wish we had done it in 2008 also.

And here was the response...about the fans...

Capture.JPG

35 minutes ago, KingKai said:

And here was the response...about the fans...

Capture.JPG

Was too young to remember the match but my papa told me stories about it which I remember. I also remember my nana chirping in about him coming back with a black eye 😂

Was a massive achievement in our clubs history. 

Lived in Catalonia for a few years and a good few of the older folk there had a soft spot for Rangers. People don't really understand how much of a cunt Franco was to the people there, I think that he only treated the Basque worse. I'm sure that even Guardiola has praised the Rangers fans that night. 

The guardia civil are still cunts to this day.

Archived