Squad options that you would take

Trying to think of best way to word this I can so I'm not shouted at.

Obviously we need another 2 or 3 top players (in a similar mould to Hagi) for the starting XI outright, in order to iron out these issues we have with consistency & mount a credible challenge to the tarriers next season over the whole season and not just half a season.

I'm the first to to be underwhelmed when we sign a Barker, Hastie, Stewart, Jones, Docherty etc and also I'm the first to say buy cheap, buy twice & we're just inflating a wagebill for the sake of it.

Halliday, Holt and Ojo are now gone with Rossiter to follow - thankfully.

The sad fact is that we still need guys like that over the course of a season as it's a squad game but they've got to be able to actually offer us something and be reliable. 

What guys would you take that, that you see as an automatic improvement on the above? one that's already been talked about is Dykes, which I'd be happy with a different option upfront and a bit of muscle. At times last season, we still found ourselves short upfront due to Morelos discipline and Defoe's fitness, so much so that we were reliant om Greg Stewart upfront himself at Tynecastle in our last/only shot at silverware at that point. 

While he's not great I think Kamberi would be ok on low wages and would offer us more than Greg Stewart if called upon but can see how others are a bit "meh" on him.

Another I'd like to see as a cheap squad option (I've got my coat of armour on for this one) is Scott Allen. 

I know he's a wee prick, but games I looked at last season with the likes of Kamara coming into that midfield and wishing we had someone in the squad to come on, inject something in that midfield and pick a forward pass. He might not be as bad a suggestion on the surface if you think beyond it for a minute but I know not everyone will agree.

Is there anyone else out there who will improve the standard of squad player we have currently hanging about the club not contributing? 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Trying to think of best way to word this I can so I'm not shouted at.

Obviously we need another 2 or 3 top players (in a similar mould to Hagi) for the starting XI outright, in order to iron out these issues we have with consistency & mount a credible challenge to the tarriers next season over the whole season and not just half a season.

I'm the first to to be underwhelmed when we sign a Barker, Hastie, Stewart, Jones, Docherty etc and also I'm the first to say buy cheap, buy twice & we're just inflating a wagebill for the sake of it.

Halliday, Holt and Ojo are now gone with Rossiter to follow - thankfully.

The sad fact is that we still need guys like that over the course of a season as it's a squad game but they've got to be able to actually offer us something and be reliable. 

What guys would you take that, that you see as an automatic improvement on the above? one that's already been talked about is Dykes, which I'd be happy with a different option upfront and a bit of muscle. At times last season, we still found ourselves short upfront due to Morelos discipline and Defoe's fitness, so much so that we were reliant om Greg Stewart upfront himself at Tynecastle in our last/only shot at silverware at that point. 

While he's not great I think Kamberi would be ok on low wages and would offer us more than Greg Stewart if called upon but can see how others are a bit "meh" on him.

Another I'd like to see as a cheap squad option (I've got my coat of armour on for this one) is Scott Allen. 

I know he's a wee prick, but games I looked at last season with the likes of Kamara coming into that midfield and wishing we had someone in the squad to come on, inject something in that midfield and pick a forward pass. He might not be as bad a suggestion on the surface if you think beyond it for a minute but I know not everyone will agree.

Is there anyone else out there who will improve the standard of squad player we have currently hanging about the club not contributing? 

02E6B300-32D6-40B8-A2A5-4C1BC4DDE146.jpeg

I’d take Hickey as a prospect.  Only if it was for very little money.  As cover for both full-back positions he might be good.

Beyond that, we shouldn’t be signing “squad options”.  We should be signing first-team players that can displace the guys we already have. 

38 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

I knew that was coming but take it for what it's worth, a squad option who can offer something different. 

A squad option who gave us the biggest middle finger. 

We need to get back some of our values in what it means to wear that famous jersey. Allowing scum like him to wear it cheapens the badge. 

3 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

A squad option who gave us the biggest middle finger. 

We need to get back some of our values in what it means to wear that famous jersey. Allowing scum like him to wear it cheapens the badge. 

We've had dozens of scumbags play for us in recent years ... Scott Allen wouldn't be the first, he won't be the last. I'm only talking about a footballing perspective. I think he'd offer something different to what we've got and actually need in the squad.

If we can resign someone like Kenny Miller after his antics that day at Parkhead because he would offer us something, somecunt that's slung a middle finger is tame.

Didn't Ian Redford do the same before we signed him? 

48 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

I knew that was coming but take it for what it's worth, a squad option who can offer something different. 

Couldn't even get in the squad for Ronny Deila but aye, welcome home Scott! Banning material. 

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

Signed too many squad players which is why we've went sideways and not forward. 

That’s what happened last summer.  Gerrard needs to show that he learns from his mistakes and sign quality over quantity this window.

26 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I would not be back if Scott Allan wears our jersey.  Step too far for me.

People said the same with Kenny Miller (2nd spell) and look what happened so lets not be over-dramatical.

That said, Scott Allen wasn't good enough for celtic and certainly isn't good enough for us. He can be one of those players who is capable of moments of brilliance but they don't happen even nearly enough to consider him as a player good enough for where we want to be.

As for signing for them lets be fair to the boy considering he didn't even get the chance to speak to us. Hibs refused to do business with us and it's as simple as that. I was pissed off at the time but from a career point of view he would have been silly not to take celtics money despite supporting us.

7 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

We've had dozens of scumbags play for us in recent years ... Scott Allen wouldn't be the first, he won't be the last. I'm only talking about a footballing perspective. I think he'd offer something different to what we've got and actually need in the squad.

If we can resign someone like Kenny Miller after his antics that day at Parkhead because he would offer us something, somecunt that's slung a middle finger is tame.

Didn't Ian Redford do the same before we signed him? 

Also let's be honest, he played one fucking good pass. He is bang average who has done fuck all consistently at any level. You want us signing a guy who wasn't good enough to get in a celtic team?

Just now, Jamie0202 said:

People said the same with Kenny Miller (2nd spell) and look what happened so lets not be over-dramatical.

I didn’t  - as that didn’t particularly bother me.  He never disrespected us or tried to rub our faces in it like the rat Allan did. Miller only ever cared about Miller. 

My opinion isn’t dramatic, he’s a two faced rat and taking him back would be an utter kick in the teeth to fans who have had to put up with enough shit in the last few years.  

Archived