The old players

MacBoyd

Anyone else share my fears about this lay off for Davis Defoe and possibly even shagger?

Davis was very poor after xmas anyway and Defoe is clearly a distant second choice striker but losing what they provided early last season would take a lot to replace.

Davis is here just to wind his career down.

Has the ‘Ive done it’ feel to him and he isn’t really arsed as long as this Gers team is respectable enough not to embarrass him.

Defoe is great but he’s got half a season left in him imo and must be used sparingly at that.

I think they can still offer us something in stages only (especially McGregor as he's our number one goalkeeper) but I'm a bit worried about the money they may be on in relation to what they can offer us and the value over the course of a season that they give us back. They all got new contracts a few months back. 

I don't know for a fact if they're on good money or not but I'm guessing so. 

Davis doesn't bring a lot to the team now, he was a great servant to the club in the past but his time is up, imo.  Defoe could still do a turn as an impact player in some games but he needs a partner beside him, never a regular starter now but he still has the ability to take a scoring chance.

6 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Arfield is only 31. Not comparable to Davis or Defoe at all IMO.

And yet arguably had a worse season than both. His form particularly in the first few months of the season was horrendous. I'd be extremely unhappy if we were relying on any of the 3 to be more than dependable squad players next season. 

7 minutes ago, KBOO72 said:

And yet arguably had a worse season than both. His form particularly in the first few months of the season was horrendous. I'd be extremely unhappy if we were relying on any of the 3 to be more than dependable squad players next season. 

I’m not saying he should be playing every week, but at 31 a lay off like isn’t going to effect him in the same way that it could a player who is 35 and another who is 38.

Think Davis and Defoe will be more valuable off the park than on it, both should be used sparingly next season.  

Could possibly say the same about Arfield but I’m not so sure, think he’s finished and should be nowhere near the first team next season.

Davis & Defoe should never have been offered extensions. This is the part where Gerrard is not too far removed from the game and he is thinking like a player and not a manager. Bad decisions.

Arfield is a decent player but can he get us over the line? I don't think so. It's not an age thing. He is only 31.

McGregor also need keeping a close eye on. Sooner or later, time will catch up with him.

10 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I’m not saying he should be playing every week, but at 31 a lay off like isn’t going to effect him in the same way that it could a player who is 35 and another who is 38.

You'd certainly hope so. He's got alot of miles on the clock though. Played alot of football throughout his career and has always been a player that leaves it all on the pitch in terms of effort, distances covered etc. 

I agree that he's still got something to offer, I think all 3 do.

In answer to the OP I think the lay off will only help those players who have already been mentioned, especially Arfield. This situation isn't like the players we've had in the past who have taken early semi-retirement in various leagues.

1 hour ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Add Arfield to that list. I'll be worried if any of them apart from shagger starts in midfield next season.

I had completely forgotten about Arfield which kind of says it all.

Davis, Arfield, Stewart, Barker, Defoe, Middleton next out the door please.

Save a serious wedge clearing that lot out on top of Ojo, Holt, Halliday, Rossiter, Foderingham and Flanagan.

That would be twelve off the books we would not miss and that doesn’t even include Hastie, Jones, Docherty or Polster.

Absolutely horrendous waste of money.

With SIXTEEN away, that would still leave:-

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Katic, Barisic, Kamara, Jack, Hagi, Aribo, Kent, Morelos

Subs: Firth, McCrorie, Patterson, Edmundson, Helander, Kamberi.

Must be one of the most bloated squads we’ve ever had. And we decided we needed Andy King at one point because that lot wasn’t enough!

:headwall:

6 hours ago, miracle said:

I think Defoe will be fine, he even turned vegan a few years ago to prolong his professional career.   I  doubt Davis has that level of professionalism.

Davis still looks in good shape, I dont really question his professionalism. He was terrific in the first few months of the season

Honestly don't know what happened to him after the break. He was very slow to hit form when he came back 18 months ago think this will be the same or worse.

Defoe is a interesting one. He was razor sharp at the end of last and the start of the cancelled season. By November time he seemed to lose a bit although still scored some goals. Dont think he was helped by our slight change in tactics of tav/borna whipping in crosses from everywhere like the liverpool fullbacks.

Great professional but I can't see him even making an impact of the bench unless we change formation.

8 hours ago, KBOO72 said:

Spot on, no more than back up players now, if we are to be serious contenders we need a class above. 

8 hours ago, miracle said:

I'd like to think the players are keeping themselves in decent shape during the downtime, goodness knows they get paid enough to have a gym at home.

Defoe has and will still be making sure he is keeping very fit where a lot of players up and down the country wont put the same effort in, what will be missing is match sharpness. I just hope our squad follow Defoe's fitness ethics and put the work in. 

Archived