PL season to restart 19th june

GOAT

8 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

So how do you expect us to start next season BCD if we can't  afford testing?

Contracts could have been extended for 60 days to get the season finished. Alternative options were never considered.

Only the premiership will start behind closed doors. And only once restrictions have been lifted enough that testing isn't deemed necessary. We're still months away from there being any football in Scotland and there wont be a ball kicked competitively before August at the very earliest.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The Premier League spent £4million to get tests (each club is allocated 80 tests per week with two rounds of testing each week apparently)

Even halving that number to take into account the reduced number of clubs up here v the PL, it's never happening.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-coronavirus-tests-testing-results-positive-players-a9522756.html

It may well be that due to factors including testing costs and end of contracts that the decision to conclude the season without playing the games is the right one. 

But ignoring how unethically the spfl managed the process, it's only recently the associated costs, true understanding of what bcd games entail, hurdles to be overcome to play games etc have all crystallised.

The spfl made their decision sooner than necessary with the intention of concluding the league rather than ever looking to complete the season. We all know why, and it wasn't for the benefit of 42 member clubs.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Only the premiership will start behind closed doors. And only once restrictions have been lifted enough that testing isn't deemed necessary. We're still months away from there being any football in Scotland and there wont be a ball kicked competitively before August at the very earliest.

Guaranteed we play football (premiership) in August but also guaranteed it is behind closed doors which means the restriction to test players can't be lifted. The excuse that we can't afford to pay for testing in the old season is a crock of shit when we will have to do it this coming August.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

It may well be that due to factors including testing costs and end of contracts that the decision to conclude the season without playing the games is the right one. 

But ignoring how unethically the spfl managed the process, it's only recently the associated costs, true understanding of what bcd games entail, hurdles to be overcome to play games etc have all crystallised.

The spfl made their decision sooner than necessary with the intention of concluding the league rather than ever looking to complete the season. We all know why, and it wasn't for the benefit of 42 member clubs.

There's been no change to what BCD games entail to when this all kicked off several months ago. BCD = no fans and club unable to operate with the income from gate receipts.

How they managed the process is irrelevant to the point being made as to why the season can't restart.

When should they have made the decision? Because with two days until over 100 premiership players become free agents, clubs would have needed to know long before now.

4 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Guaranteed we play football (premiership) in August but also guaranteed it is behind closed doors which means the restriction to test players can't be lifted. The excuse that we can't afford to pay for testing in the old season is a crock of shit when we will have to do it this coming August.

If games are BCD in August it doesn't mean there needs to be two rounds of testing on players each week.

21 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

So how do you expect us to start next season BCD if we can't  afford testing?

Contracts could have been extended for 60 days to get the season finished. Alternative options were never considered.

I still struggle to believe we will start the season in August 

Just now, The Dude said:

If games are BCD in August it doesn't mean there needs to be two rounds of testing on players each week.

Of course it does. The reason games are played BCD is because social distancing measures are still in place. The only reason pro sports resume is through twice a week testing.

Just now, bluenoz said:

Of course it does. The reason games are played BCD is because social distancing measures are still in place. The only reason pro sports resume is through twice a week testing.

And by the time we get to football being restarted, several months down the line, things will have moved on considerably by then. Scottish football can't afford testing and, unless subsidised by the Government, there won't be any games if testing is mandatory.

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

well that's a completely different argument mate. I'm just going by McKenzie's quotes last week.

Yeah. They want to start in August & are planning for it but just a gut feeling from me (based on a few bits I know through my work) I think it’s optimistic. Who knows though it’s an ever moving situation 

1 minute ago, eskbankloyal said:

Yeah. They want to start in August & are planning for it but just a gut feeling from me (based on a few bits I know through my work) I think it’s optimistic. Who knows though it’s an ever moving situation 

Bizarrely, I've got a sneaky feeling the Lowland League might be the first one to get up and running. Spoke with the Chairman of it today and he thinks there's an outside chance they could be back relatively soon

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

Assuming we stuck to the Scottish Government's habit of doing things a week or two after westminster, we'd be re-starting the season almost a month after over 100 players in the Premiership's contracts will have expired.

The English FA have obviously decided that is not a problem as they will have the same  issue. 

1 minute ago, Brubear said:

The English FA have obviously decided that is not a problem as they will have the same  issue. 

Except their contracts end in July typically and they have a billion-pound TV deal which means clubs aren't exactly short of a few quid as they play in front of empty stadiums. Playing in empty stadiums here deprives clubs of their single biggest source of income.

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Except their contracts end in July typically and they have a billion-pound TV deal which means clubs aren't exactly short of a few quid as they play in front of empty stadiums. Playing in empty stadiums here deprives clubs of their single biggest source of income.

and the spfl can afford to pay back 10m or have it come out of next years revenue?

This along with all the other leagues that are finishing just makes celtics title look even more meaningless and detaches them from the "aye but liverpool" argument they were spouting at the start.

On a side note Liverpool and Klopp showed their class as a club and deserve their success. The contrast between them and celtic is there for all to see.

4 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

and the spfl can afford to pay back 10m or have it come out of next years revenue?

Thats why the league will be known as the Sky Sports Scottish Premiership for the next four or five years. 

36 minutes ago, The Dude said:

There's been no change to what BCD games entail to when this all kicked off several months ago. BCD = no fans and club unable to operate with the income from gate receipts.

How they managed the process is irrelevant to the point being made as to why the season can't restart.

When should they have made the decision? Because with two days until over 100 premiership players become free agents, clubs would have needed to know long before now.

We never knew how much tests would be and what the incurred costs would be. We never knew whether games could have been completed in a tighter timeframe, perhaps with players isolated in hotels for 2.5 weeks and games played morning noon and night to complete all games. We never knew the cost risk of completing games versus the risk of not (10m as suggested by Rangers).  We dont know if out of contract players would be happy playing on a minimal pay contract to extend til end of June ish, get a pre season in, than be out of contract on zero pay with few clubs recruiting (think you said only 3 clubs you know of furloughing players so most will go to zero income).

I get why it cant restart, I'm not sure all the arguments now were known when the spfl raced to conclude. I'm even less certain they even considered or wanted a solution to playing games.

I'm not sure when the cut off should have been. But for me they were working towards it from not long after the season temp closed, and were front leaders in doing so. We could easily have paused in march having released funds to struggling clubs, looked for solutions in april, and having considered what other leagues were doing had s resolution vote in early May (if n&v still not adopted 😏).

We didnt need the hurried actions. The spfl chose this. In the end minimal has been gained from it other than the dossier and more harm to our game.

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Thats why the league will be known as the Sky Sports Scottish Premiership for the next four or five years. 

So by not trying to conclude the season, everybody has to pay for years to come. You just refuse to see the corruption that was done to make one club significantly richer.

And check out the above twitter and it puts to bed the theory about can't afford testing.

If you think players will play without being tested, I'm sure Wishart will have a few questions about that.

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

We never knew how much tests would be and what the incurred costs would be. We never knew whether games could have been completed in a tighter timeframe, perhaps with players isolated in hotels for 2.5 weeks and games played morning noon and night to complete all games. We never knew the cost risk of completing games versus the risk of not (10m as suggested by Rangers).  We dont know if out of contract players would be happy playing on a minimal pay to extend til end of June ish, get a pre season in, than be out of contract on zero pay with few clubs recruiting (think you said only 3 clubs you know of furloughing players so most will go to zero income).

I get why it cant restart, I'm not sure all the arguments now were known when the spfl raced to conclude. I'm even less certain they even considered or wanted a solution to playing games.

I'm not sure when the cut off should have been. But for me they were working towards it from not long after the season temp closed, and were front leaders in doing so. We could easily have paused in march having released funds to struggling clubs, looked for solutions in april, and having considered what other leagues were doing had s resolution vote in early May (if n&v still not adopted 😏).

We didnt need the hurried actions. The spfl chose this. In the end minimal has been gained from it other than the dossier and more harm to our game.

We never knew if tests would be available, let alone the cost of it. There was never any likelihood that football was coming back quickly after it was suspended (as I said on here at the start of March) and there were no reasonable likelihood of getting games done before May 31st. 

There was no feasible solution in April that would have seen us able to play games. 

Once it was suspended, and without testing being available, there was no chance of players being cooped up in hotels and games played quickly - and there was no chance of it getting an exemption to play while the rest of us were locked down. 

Its taken until today for the PL to decide what it was doing, and that's even with all their riches and potential to travel across the world to play in 'secure' locations. Once football was suspended, it was over. 

The three clubs you mention are ones who have kept on all their players who were due to be out of contract. There are around 25-35 clubs using the furlough scheme for players currently. 

6 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

So by not trying to conclude the season, everybody has to pay for years to come. You just refuse to see the corruption that was done to make one club significantly richer.

And check out the above twitter and it puts to bed the theory about can't afford testing.

If you think players will play without being tested, I'm sure Wishart will have a few questions about that.

Theres literally no mention of testing in that tweet. 

Archived