Welcome Calvin Bassey

2 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

I don't think there's many that would make Smith's team.

Smith turned numpties like Broadfoot, Foster and Dailly into league or medal winning players by installing heart, discipline, organisation and fight even though they were still pish.

Technically Barisic is talented and right up there - but there's so many of them in our team like that but let us down when it comes to the crunch - and I'm a big Barisic fan.

We've no leaders.

That's got more to do with Smith really, if he was manager of this team we'd have a few trophies by now. 

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, British_Empire said:

Smith turned numpties like Broadfoot, Foster and Dailly into league or medal winning players by installing heart, discipline, organisation and fight even though they were still pish.

Technically Barisic is talented and right up there - but there's so many of them in our team like that but let us down when it comes to the crunch - and I'm a big Barisic fan.

We've no leaders.

I honestly think his Croatian left back status saves him at Rangers , from the Feyenoord tackle that led to Ojo’s goal to the winter break he looked every bit the Croatian left back , the rest he’s been honking though , nothing worse than watching a player shit out situations the support would go in baws first 

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

That's got more to do with Smith really, if he was manager of this team we'd have a few trophies by now. 

I agree.

Gerrard for all he's done a lot of good in a lot of areas, too many times has went down the Pedro Caixhina route of throwing the players under the bus to cover his own failings too. Once you start doing that you rip a lot of the heart and leadership from the team IMO.

I've always said, too, that regarding us with the manager position - we might never get a bigger name than Gerrard, but we could get a better manager than Gerrard (for what we need in the sense that Scottish football is not rocket science, install the heart and win the battles first and foremost and the talent you've got then see's you over the line)

1 minute ago, Bevvy Ballesteros said:

I had never heard of alfredo before he signed so I'm open minded and welcome him to to Rangers .... But offering a 4 year contract seems like a gamble.  Especially when you look at the Leicester forum... 

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/122766-calvin-bassey/

Morelos had stats to back it up mate. The reason I was happy with Morelos is that he was a goalscorer and came at a good price. Even if you score 25/30 goals a season in the Ugandan league, you're worth a punt at a modest price. This lad here, has never played a first team game in his life, then minute Barisic can't play, he's in the team.

Too risky for me - with all due respect to the kid.

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

Morelos had stats to back it up mate. The reason I was happy with Morelos is that he was a goalscorer and came at a good price. Even if you score 25/30 goals a season in the Ugandan league, you're worth a punt at a modest price. This lad here, has never played a first team game in his life, then minute Barisic can't play, he's in the team.

I'm not gonna comment on a guy before I've seem him play mate... But seen too many 4 year contracts in recent times turn into duds after a year. 

11 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Your Barisic can’t play point, exactly! getting rid of Halliday to bring in this lad makes no sense at all , hopefully I’m wrong of course 

Just now, Bevvy Ballesteros said:

I'm not gonna comment on a guy before I've seem him play mate... But seen too many 4 year contracts in recent times turn into duds after a year. 

Fair enough on both parts - especially the 4-year contract ... that's really OTT ... even if he's on the basic 5k a week that's crazy money over the piece of a squad player that's never played a first team game in his life. We spend some amount of money tearing up these contracts. 

That said, if he comes in and his an absolute bumper - he's ours for 4-years - so there's that element to it too. 

This is Gerrard's big season. His name at us will be defined by signings like this. It's all on him. 

13 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

We've no leaders.

Barasic is better footballer than any you name. Is it his fault the team does not have its quota winners like those that carried donkeys like broadfoot, Dailly, Foster?

We need winners but you make it sound like it is Borna's fault. Perhaps I am mis-judging, misreading your post.

2 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Barasic is better footballer than any you name. Is it his fault the team does not have its quota winners like those that carried donkeys like broadfoot, Dailly, Foster?

We need winners but you make it sound like it is Borna's fault. Perhaps I am mis-judging, misreading your post.

You are defo misreading my post mate. I'm a big Barasic fan. I think he's getting a raw deal, I said IMO he's our best full-back since Numan however sometimes his heart doesn't look in it.

and there's a lot like him in our team (i.e talented but no heart)

I don't want him going anywhere - he's one that needs better people around him (but doesn't excuse his inconsistency either)

I think people love to say everyone in Walter's teams were fantastic and everyone in this team who haven't toppled a much better scum team than 10 years ago are all shit losers. Football and winning leagues is a fine tipping point and to some people that small tip either side is the difference between everything and nothing in judging players/managers. You have 'losers mentality' if you don't win and you're a 'winner' if you do.

Just because we haven't happened to have won something yet doesn't signal to me that there's some huge gap in quality between this and past sides. People also choose to forget that Walter was getting hounded every single week at some points.

I think this team can win trophies and I think Gerrard can win trophies. And as soon as he does the narrative on him changes

5 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

You can get away with limited ability being fit strong and having heart in Scotland mate , having technical ability without any of they things you toil like Barisic does, even then his technical ability is overrated 

32 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

That's just ridiculous lol so Halliday or Flanagan standing in were better than Barisic? 

I get folk don't like him because his heart doesn't always seem in it - that annoys me too - but when he's playing (and on form) he's our best left-back since Numan - easy.

Just to clarify I was meaning last season as in his first at the club, not the season that has just ended. 

Even then I can admit I maybe exaggerated a little to make a point but let's be honest, none of the 3 who played meaningful minutes that year set the world alight. There were plenty on this Forum and in the wider fanbase who had had enough of him by last summer and would have happily sold him. 

I do actually think he's a good player but as I've mentioned numerous times on here, he's had a good 3 month spell in 2 seasons. Not really great that is it? 

14 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

You are defo misreading my post mate. I'm a big Barasic fan. I think he's getting a raw deal, I said IMO he's our best full-back since Numan however sometimes his heart doesn't look in it.

and there's a lot like him in our team (i.e talented but no heart)

I don't want him going anywhere - he's one that needs better people around him (but doesn't excuse his inconsistency either)

He just looks as if he’s feart just to go out for a battle, which ultimately is what players have to do for this club in the Scottish leagu, win the battles then let your ability shine 

5 minutes ago, KBOO72 said:

Just to clarify I was meaning last season as in his first at the club, not the season that has just ended. 

Even then I can admit I maybe exaggerated a little to make a point but let's be honest, none of the 3 who played meaningful minutes that year set the world alight. There were plenty on this Forum and in the wider fanbase who had had enough of him by last summer and would have happily sold him. 

I do actually think he's a good player but as I've mentioned numerous times on here, he's had a good 3 month spell in 2 seasons. Not really great that is it?[/b]

That's fair enough, but I think saying he's only been good in 3-months is a wee bit wrong IMO - he's looked good at various points since he's arrived but never really settled down and got a good run of constant form outwith that 3-months that you allude to.

The folk who really rate Ryan Jack, use a similar spell of form to make a case for him though as he was fantastic up until December, but IMO that's all he's really done substantially since he's arrived 3-years ago. 

I guess it just depends on who you rate, who you don't and you make a case for it accordingly. I do it myself with guys like Kent and Arfield whereas a lot of folk aren't keen on them :tu: 

3 minutes ago, TamCoopz said:

He just looks as if he’s feart just to go out for a battle, which ultimately is what players have to do for this club in the Scottish leagu, win the battles then let your ability shine 

Opposition teams know it to 

1 minute ago, TamCoopz said:

Yeah I don't disagree with that tbh. I just think he's worth sticking with because of the ability he does have. 

I suppose I give allowances (rightly or wrongly) to players who I think are genuinely talented. I think we don't really appreciate the talent and instead take it personally when they don't perform.

I'm the first to say we need players with the heart and battle fever, so at the risk of sounding a bit contradictory, I'd rather have a Barisic with a hell of a lot of talent, but little heart, over a Broadfoot with little in the way of talent and a lot of heart. 

Like I said above, I guess it just depends on who you rate as a player and how you want to make a case for them.

16 minutes ago, Broxi said:

I think people love to say everyone in Walter's teams were fantastic and everyone in this team who haven't toppled a much better scum team than 10 years ago are all shit losers. Football and winning leagues is a fine tipping point and to some people that small tip either side is the difference between everything and nothing in judging players/managers. You have 'losers mentality' if you don't win and you're a 'winner' if you do.

Just because we haven't happened to have won something yet doesn't signal to me that there's some huge gap in quality between this and past sides. People also choose to forget that Walter was getting hounded every single week at some points.

I think this team can win trophies and I think Gerrard can win trophies. And as soon as he does the narrative on him changes

It has to change as if he doesn't win anything next season he's gone. 

27 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Your Barisic can’t play point, exactly! getting rid of Halliday to bring in this lad makes no sense at all , hopefully I’m wrong of course 

Honestly what sort of opinion is that? Halliday was here long enough and we won fuck all , you’ve not even seen this boy play yet.

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

It has to change as if he doesn't win anything next season he's gone. 

If we don't start the season all guns blazing and fall behind the scum early doors the knives will be out and rightly so. 

The season ending the way it did is clouding the memories of far too many posters on here. 

1 minute ago, KBOO72 said:

If we don't start the season all guns blazing and fall behind the scum early doors the knives will be out and rightly so.

The season ending the way it did is clouding the memories of far too many posters on here. 

Even if we do, there's still a massive doubt mate - because the previous 2 seasons we've done OK at the start and actually been top at the half-way point.

So (as harsh as it sounds) even if that is the case, there will still be the cynics thinking they've seen this routine before. They've a lot to prove over the whole course.

2 minutes ago, jjbscotty12 said:

Honestly what sort of opinion is that? Halliday was here long enough and we won fuck all , you’ve not even seen this boy play yet.

Going into one of our biggest seasons in the clubs history , get shot of a lad with plenty of experience and bring in a young lad that’s never played first team football in his life, makes no sense to me , mind you selling our best player doesn’t make any sense to me either, does to you 

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Nothing would make me more happy than Gerrard proving me wrong and winning the title next year.

Hand on heart I just don't think he's good enough, hopefully BCD helps us.

Ive seen enough of his management to know he won’t win us the league. I like you hope to fuck I’m proved wrong though.

1 minute ago, Cedrick said:

Going into one of our biggest seasons in the clubs history , get shot of a lad with plenty of experience and bring in a young lad that’s never played first team football in his life, makes no sense to me , mind you selling our best player doesn’t make any sense to me either, does to you 

So keep the players that have continually let us down?  Madness.

Archived