Welcome Calvin Bassey

I don't think Halliday is the bombscare people think. It would also have been stupid to give him a new contract though.

He needed replaced. Signing a young LB with potential is absolutely the right idea. It's just a question if this is the right choice. Can only wait and see

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, British_Empire said:

Even if we do, there's still a massive doubt mate - because the previous 2 seasons we've done OK at the start and actually been top at the half-way point.

So (as harsh as it sounds) even if that is the case, there will still be the cynics thinking they've seen this routine before. They've a lot to prove over the whole course.

I absolutely agree but at least winning consistently will keep the mob at bay so to speak. 

It won't take much for the majority to turn though in my opinion. The swell of discontent was growing by the week before covid came along and it won't take much for that to return, rightly or wrongly.

There is massive pressure on him to get things right this coming season and he has to get it right from the first whistle. 

Just now, KBOO72 said:

I absolutely agree but at least winning consistently will keep the mob at bay so to speak. 

It won't take much for the majority to turn though in my opinion. The swell of discontent was growing by the week before covid came along and it won't take much for that to return, rightly or wrongly.

There is massive pressure on him to get things right this coming season and he has to get it right from the first whistle. 

the old addage, you can't win it at the start, but you can lose it. 

1 minute ago, jjbscotty12 said:

So keep the players that have continually let us down?  Madness.

Naw but if they’re going I didn’t expect us to be making more untested squad signings 

1 minute ago, Cedrick said:

Naw but if they’re going I didn’t expect us to be making more untested squad signings 

He’ll be a better back up than Andy Halliday and Jon Flanagan that’s for sure he’s a natural left back. 

19 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Yeah I don't disagree with that tbh. I just think he's worth sticking with because of the ability he does have. 

I suppose I give allowances (rightly or wrongly) to players who I think are genuinely talented. I think we don't really appreciate the talent and instead take it personally when they don't perform.

I'm the first to say we need players with the heart and battle fever, so at the risk of sounding a bit contradictory, I'd rather have a Barisic with a hell of a lot of talent, but little heart, over a Broadfoot with little in the way of talent and a lot of heart. 

Like I said above, I guess it just depends on who you rate as a player and how you want to make a case for them.

It’s either barisic with the talent or Halliday with the heart, or Flanagan for just being a bastard. Barisic wasn’t great when he first cane but he I think last season something clicked and he was much much better. 
this is a tough league for talented players because it’s as rough as they come so there’s definitely a fine line of the type of player we need 

5 minutes ago, jjbscotty12 said:

He’ll be a better back up than Andy Halliday and Jon Flanagan that’s for sure he’s a natural left back. 

I've watched a couple half's of games he's played in tonight mate and he's been playing center half. 

He might be a converted left-back now, but it looks like he's a center half by trade who can fill in at left-back.

I might be wrong though. 

59 minutes ago, Bevvy Ballesteros said:

I had never heard of alfredo before he signed so I'm open minded and welcome him to to Rangers .... But offering a 4 year contract seems like a gamble.  Especially when you look at the Leicester forum... 

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/122766-calvin-bassey/

Look at their tweet saying that he’s joined Rangers, all the fans replies seem quite gutted and think he’s a good prospect.

Just need to wait and see.

Can genuinely see both sides to this Halliday debate. 

Both camps totally correct when they say it's pointless getting rid of Halliday, and bringing in an untested kid that's never played to do the same job, but you also can't argue that Halliday was pish, had been here about 4 or 5 years and basically won fuck-all apart from a Ramsden's cup winners medal and hardly played.

1 minute ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Look at their tweet saying that he’s joined Rangers, all the fans replies seem quite gutted and think he’s a good prospect.

Just need to wait and see.

It's a lottery really. 

We have had Rossiter who was highly rated and seen as a huge coup yet he done nothing of note due to several factors. The boy from Leicester before was meant to be a good prospect too but didn't kick on. 

More often than not these ones don't amount to much but have to hope this is one of the rare ones that do. 

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

Both camps totally correct when they say it's pointless getting rid of Halliday, and bringing in an untested kid that's never played to do the same job, but you also can't argue that Halliday was pish, had been here about 4 or 5 years and basically won fuck-all apart from a Ramsden's cup winners medal and hardly played.

That's true but the same goes for the likes of Morelos and Co who haven't won anything either. 

Halliday was a back up who's put in the effort but didn't have the ability to match it. Some do have the ability and don't have the effort, that's the real issue with this squad. 

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

I’d much rather take the gamble on a boy who might turn out to be good than persist with someone who’s shite.

Lets be honest next season the boy at some stage will be a world beater, shite and inevitably when he comes out the team he’ll become better the longer he’s out. That’s the way it tends to work on here.

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

That's true but the same goes for the likes of Morelos and Co who haven't won anything either. 

Halliday was a back up who's put in the effort but didn't have the ability to match it. Some do have the ability and don't have the effort, that's the real issue with this squad. 

1 minute ago, Smell the hotdog said:

I’d much rather take the gamble on a boy who might turn out to be good than persist with someone who’s shite.

Lets be honest next season the boy at some stage will be a world beater, shite and inevitably when he comes out the team he’ll become better the longer he’s out. That’s the way it tends to work on here.

Aye fair comments both of you.

Smell The Hotdog - that's something that massively get's on my tits with online support - first couple bad games someone has they are fucking pish and the lynchmob is out, first couple of good games they have the happy clappers are out wanting new contracts, praising the DOF etc to the hilt - there's no consistency or balance to it. Just hysteria either way. 

3 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Aye fair comments both of you.

Smell The Hotdog - that's something that massively get's on my tits with online support - first couple bad games someone has they are fucking pish and the lynchmob is out, first couple of good games they have the happy clappers are out wanting new contracts, praising the DOF etc to the hilt - there's no consistency or balance to it. Just hysteria either way. 

Internet-keyboard-football fans.  A perfect storm for hysteria.  :sarcasm:

1 hour ago, Bevvy Ballesteros said:

I'm not gonna comment on a guy before I've seem him play mate... But seen too many 4 year contracts in recent times turn into duds after a year. 

4 years in football post-Covid would be generous if the guy was already a star.

For a no-mark, it’s lunacy.

26 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

My main concern is Barisic being injured. I know Frimpong has been decent for the scum, but relying on this kid would be a huge concern. 

Why is that? What do you know about this guys ability?

2 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Calling him a no-mark is a bit harsh mate.... The boys only 20 and could be an absolute belter of a signing, but we'll never know until the season starts..but agree with you 4 years is a bit mental under the current circumstances. 

4 minutes ago, HG5 said:

I'm just guessing, but if it's true West Ham and the German's were after him, then I think we have to then give him something like the 4-years to sway him towards us.

I don't agree with it either - it's a mental contract duration in these times for someone who's never played but if the other interest in him is legitimate then it might explain it (the 4-years)

Just now, British_Empire said:

I'm just guessing, but if it's true West Ham and the German's were after him, then I think we have to then give him something like the 4-years to sway him towards us.

I don't agree with it either - it's a mental contract duration in these times for someone who's never played but if the other interest in him is legitimate then it might explain it (the 4-years)

Its a good sign if Premiership clubs were after him. 

1 minute ago, Bevvy Ballesteros said:

Calling him a no-mark is a bit harsh mate.... The boys only 20 and could be an absolute belter of a signing, but we'll never know until the season starts..but agree with you 4 years is a bit mental under the current circumstances. 

Has he made a mark?

Sounds like the answer is no, from all the foregoing.

Potential would be all well & good in normal circumstances.

The next couple of years are far from normal circumstances & we need people who we can rely on to contribute.

There’s a reason nearly none of our own kids break through.

I suspect the same will apply to someone else’s kid we’ve signed.

As usual, I’ll be happy if the lad proves me wrong.

7 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Yes, there has to be something in it to bring them up here!

Would have preferred it to be used on something a bit more tried & tested.

Just now, HG5 said:

Has he made a mark?

Sounds like the answer is no, from all the foregoing.

Potential would be all well & good in normal circumstances.

The next couple of years are far from normal circumstances & we need people who we can rely on to contribute.

There’s a reason nearly none of our own kids break through.

I suspect the same will apply to someone else’s kid we’ve signed.

As usual, I’ll be happy if the lad proves me wrong.

Mate he might no have played much.... But a top 5 Premiership club don't have no-marks on the books. 

25 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Halliday done well in the championship but I honestly thought the Premiership was too much a step up for him. Done well in a few games but can see why he was let go.

Archived