Two of the best ever Rangers goals

beararse

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, MorelosRangers said:

I was too young to remember this.

How did it feel as a bear beating Leeds? Is it the same as eg us beating Liverpool today? I would have loved to experience the build up where the English media were writing us off. What were the Scottish media saying prior to the tie?

It was great, but the sense of achievement wasn't quite like that because it was just as Sky was starting to pump big money into the game down there and the gap is nowhere near like it is today.

But yeah, from what I remember we were being seriously wrote-off by the English media. 

Leeds were still a good team though - David Batty, Tony Dorigo, Gary McCallister, Gordon Strachan, Eric Cantona etc. 

The McCoist goal at Elland Road is probably one of the best counter-attacking goals you'll see. Perfect example of a counter-attacking goal.

92/93 Rangers team is arguably our best ever.

44 game undefeated run, treble, undefeated in Europe, 1 goal away from the Champions League final. However we were basically cheated out of the European final by Tapie etc.

Was too young to remember but I’ve heard my dad say that 1987 was our best chance to win the European Cup when we lost on away goals to Staeu Bucharest in the quarter final. Think there weren’t many good teams left that year. 👎🏻

21 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Goram deserves so much  credit for that game. He was magnificent.

He wasn’t very often not magnificent!

Makes me sad seeing that team playing with such class and swagger, what have we got now?

Mediocre players who seem to surrender when the slightest pressure is applied.

8 hours ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Disappointed this isn’t Gazza’s two that clinched 8 in a row.

Posted highlights of that  game last week.

The title for this one  is ‘two of the best ever Rangers goals’ not ‘the best two Rangers goals ever’....there is a difference 🤣

9 hours ago, British_Empire said:

It was great, but the sense of achievement wasn't quite like that because it was just as Sky was starting to pump big money into the game down there and the gap is nowhere near like it is today.

But yeah, from what I remember we were being seriously wrote-off by the English media. 

Leeds were still a good team though - David Batty, Tony Dorigo, Gary McCallister, Gordon Strachan, Eric Cantona etc. 

The McCoist goal at Elland Road is probably one of the best counter-attacking goals you'll see. Perfect example of a counter-attacking goal.

Spot on with that description.

Thr two leg tie was sensational  from start to finish.

McAllister scored a wonderful goal from outside the box within the first two minutes of the first leg and Hateley bettered it within the fist few minutes in the second leg.

The first leg wasn’t shown live, it was on delayed transmission in Scotland but it was reported that Berwick Upon Tweed got ITV rather than STV.

When we got there, Berwick was over run by Rangers fans.

Was like watching it in my home town as practically every Rangers fan I knew had made the  160 mile round trip.

Great memories.

2 hours ago, B1872 said:

92/93 Rangers team is arguably our best ever.

44 game undefeated run, treble, undefeated in Europe, 1 goal away from the Champions League final. However we were basically cheated out of the European final by Tapie etc.

Was too young to remember but I’ve heard my dad say that 1987 was our best chance to win the European Cup when we lost on away goals to Staeu Bucharest in the quarter final. Think there weren’t many good teams left that year. 👎🏻

Just missing a Laudrup or Gazza and it really would have been.

11 hours ago, MorelosRangers said:

I was too young to remember this.

How did it feel as a bear beating Leeds? Is it the same as eg us beating Liverpool today? I would have loved to experience the build up where the English media were writing us off. What were the Scottish media saying prior to the tie?

English media were, big time. Especially after the first leg. Some basically made it out a formality. Ignorance and arrogance, basically.

Back then we were on a similar level to top English clubs, at times probably slightly better. Nothing like today. We could spend at a comparable level. Financial gap due to TV just didn't yet exist in early Sky days.

It was a very good Leeds team, but their soft centre was their centre backs and goalie.

I used to live just over the road from Elland Road, could see into the main stand from my room.  That night was a fantastic memory..  can you imagine dropping Goram, Gough, Durrant and Hately into today's team?   We'd have won the league by Christmas..

Forgot how good Hately was,  some great touches and passing.  And that finish..  

Fucking loved that strip as well. 

3 minutes ago, HalifaxBear said:

I used to live just over the road from Elland Road, could see into the main stand from my room.  That night was a fantastic memory..  can you imagine dropping Goram, Gough, Durrant and Hately into today's team?   We'd have won the league by Christmas..

Yeah, Hateley wasn't just a big target man. His combo of physicality and being outstanding in the air with good technical ability made him a nightmare for the opposition. Good all round striker.

10 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

This and Russell’s winner against PSV are tops imo. Check the bottom right corner for the number of passes in the build up - superb.

I remember when he signed reading the interview in a matchday program; came across well. :bow: 

Wasn't he part of the 1993 Leeds team as well? :lol: 

Wilkins against the scum

Gazza against the sheep with his solo run

Bert Konterman v the scum

Hately against Leeds

The Kent team goal  recently at the scum

Coopers free kick v the sheep

Anyone against the scum

Honestly couldnt narrow it down to 2 goals, some team goals and other individual bits of class make it too difficult to narrow down.

2 screamers, Durrant was Awsome 

Goram was the Best Goalie in the Planet at this time. Defensively never been stronger at any point in my 46 years.

Other goalies were still adapting to no pass back rule, and their Shot stopping suffered, The Goalie embraced it and got better.

They go on about Peter Schmeichel, check out Youtube, for 6ft 4" he got lobbed every other week, cant remember The Goalie being lobbed many times.

Defence if I remember was RB Dave McPherson, CBs Gough and Brown, LB Robertson with wee McCall sitting in.

Great night, 6 cans of McEwans Lagers and all my mates all in my Grans, possibly worst beer ever lol.

44 minutes ago, HalifaxBear said:

Actual tough men. They'd smash the lego eater for breakfast :lol: 

Archived