**Press: Dion McGhee (Man Utd)**

Blue_Devil

Several news outlets linking Rangers with 19 year old Man Utd midfielder Dion McGhee.

Out of contract and available on a free, West Ham, Benfica and Porto also said to be interested.

A low risk signing, I prefer this to loans. If they excel, we benefit from sell on. If they don't, he shouldn't be on a huge contract.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not for me. 

Massive season. Need to aim a lot higher than folk like this and the Leicester kids on freebies. 

Fear we are sleepwalking into the same mistakes we've made every year for the past ten years, almost.

But we've got to asses things overall once the window is drawing to a close. I've seen many summers in my years supporting Rangers when we sign a couple of cheap, shite players at the start, you fear the worst, but 3 or 4 good signings on top of these follow, you then look at the bigger picture overall and it suddenly becomes a good transfer window and you're a lot more receptive to these signings in addition too.

3 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I like. One for the future. We are getting players cheap or free with potential to sell for millions (Aribo, Kamara, Bassey etc).

We haven't signed Bassey & McGhee (maybe) to win us the title next season.

Sounds great but when was the last time that actually happened, though? 

I get the notion behind it, it sounds top notch but it never works out that way. 

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

Sounds great but when was the last time that actually happened, though? 

I get the notion behind it, it sounds top notch but it never works out that way. 

We only have  three or four players who aren't worth anything mate. Arfield, McGregor, Defoe & Davis come to mind. Everyone else has value. Sooner or later we will sell some of them for huge profit.

Barisic, Morelos & Kamara would make us about 1000% profit. I'm not saying we should sell right now but that's the Ajax model and one that we should follow.

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

We only have  three or four players who aren't worth anything mate. Arfield, McGregor, Defoe & Davis come to mind. Everyone else has value. Sooner or later we will sell some of them for huge profit.

Barisic, Morelos & Kamara would make us about 1000% profit. I'm not saying we should sell right now but that's the Ajax model and one that we should follow.

I don't disagree with that bud, but I'm meaning taking these freebie youth players from England and selling them on. 

Guys like Morelos, Katic, Barisic we will get good money for if we were to cash in but I'm meaning this English youth market that Gerrard seems to enjoy targeting.

2 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

I don't disagree with that bud, but I'm meaning taking these freebie youth players from England and selling them on. 

Guys like Morelos, Katic, Barisic we will get good money for if we were to cash in but I'm meaning this English youth market that Gerrard seems to enjoy targeting.

Personally, I haven't seen Mcghee play but have heard good things. Getting guys like Aribo & Bassey based on the border rule can only benefit in the long run. I guess we will have to wait and see.

just as long as Gerrard knows we still need two veteran, proven leaders for next season then I have no problem with this.

Just now, bluenoz said:

Personally, I haven't seen Mcghee play but have heard good things. Getting guys like Aribo & Bassey based on the border rule can only benefit in the long run. I guess we will have to wait and see.

just as long as Gerrard knows we still need two veteran, proven leaders for next season then I have no problem with this.

That's just it, mate - I've not entirely convinced that he does know this. 

He seems to be going down the same route - just based on early indications. We all know the window isn't even open yet :tu: 

9 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

The players will be identified by Ross Wilson and the scouting department. Gerrard will have the final say, but it is the DofF and his scouting team who will produce a list of targets to the manager and he will say yay or nay.  It will be Wilson who will be behind the Massey transfer and interest in McGhee.

3 minutes ago, STEVEH said:

The players will be identified by Ross Wilson and the scouting department. Gerrard will have the final say, but it is the DofF and his scouting team who will produce a list of targets to the manager and he will say yay or nay.  It will be Wilson who will be behind the Massey transfer and interest in McGhee.

These DOF cunts have a lot to prove in my eyes, but Gerrard is either responsible for the signings, or he isn't, I hate this muddying of the waters on this - it removes a lot of accountability. 

Gerrard was here under Mark Allen too when similar signings were made/targets identified. Don't forget.

5 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

These DOF cunts have a lot to prove in my eyes, but Gerrard is either responsible for the signings, or he isn't, I hate this muddying of the waters on this - it removes a lot of accountability. 

Gerrard was here under Mark Allen too when similar signings were made/targets identified. Don't forget.

I agree mate. It does muddy the waters.  I suspect this is a club policy. Identify young players with potential early for minimal outlay. I am in favour providing we also add experience.

1 hour ago, BlueThunder said:

I thought he was signed because of the thread title. A bit misleading.

1 hour ago, southcoastbear said:

Me too mate , goddam clickbait :angrywillie:

That is the format to use - according to the pinned transfer instructions!

13 minutes ago, STEVEH said:

Looks tidy enough, but I didn't really expect anything else tbh.

To make this policy (of getting these players in for free, low risk and flip them if they're good) work, they actually have to be able to step upto our first team, all the pressures that entails and be able to play to a very high standard too.

You just don't get that vibe watching those videos of him (and others) in that environment. They look in comfort zones there. You can tell just by looking at them clips if he was to play even one game for us, the games will be nothing like that what's in these YouTube videos. 

Steer well clear IMO. We have enough guys of our own in the Colts side that look equally as comfortable in those types of games. 

Archived