Random ex youths - where are they now?

stevemac

So I was looking at our 2015 squad (trying to recall the name of one of our players, tom walsh) and I had a look at the ins and out of that year. A lot of the ex youth team players have gone on to have minor careers in the game, so feel free to post any ex youth team players that maybe aren' so well known.

I'll start with junior ogen, scored in the Glasgow cup final in 2013 against them, left us in 2015 and cant find any info on him. Jamie burrows also left us that same year, played twice for yeovil then retired at 21 or something daft. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is for the most part a pretty sad story to look at most youths who have left the system, 

More often than not it would seem players struggle to find a career at a decent level, which has always shocked me. I would have expected Rangers would have produced more players who would even find their place in the top flight of Scotland at the likes of Hearts and Hibs, or even in the 1st Division for instance. 

Instead the likes of Fleck generally are the exception and the career the likes of someone like Kyle Hutton, who for a while looked to have something is the norm. 

It doesn't reflect well on the system Rangers have had at all. 

7 minutes ago, dee9 said:

I remember high hopes were around for lennon but it never happened for him.

Like so many of our youngsters over the years.

Was always picked to model the kits in the catalogue aswell :lol:

3 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

It is for the most part a pretty sad story to look at most youths who have left the system, 

More often than not it would seem players struggle to find a career at a decent level, which has always shocked me. I would have expected Rangers would have produced more players who would even find their place in the top flight of Scotland at the likes of Hearts and Hibs, or even in the 1st Division for instance. 

Instead the likes of Fleck generally are the exception and the career the likes of someone like Kyle Hutton, who for a while looked to have something is the norm. 

Guys like Fleck, Hutton, McCabe etc. give off the impression that they think the hard work is done when they reach the first team imo. 
Their ego quickly outgrows their talent. I think Fleck had a bit of a reality check when he went from us to Coventry.

Agree that we definitely don’t produce nearly enough homegrown talent, but everything coming out of the club regarding the youth set up sounds promising.

Hopefully we’ll see the rewards of that soon and those who do make it to the first team will keep their feet on the ground.

16 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

When you look at the lower divisions of Scottish football, it’s littered with players from Hearts, Hibs and the Dundee sides academies. 

Im always surprised how few are from ourselves, it shows how much of a mess our youth academy was in the 00s/10s. 

Lennon was one I honestly thought was going to make it.

Used to watch him tear it up in the reserves/colts/unders/second-string (whatever word was used back then) and thought he was always a stand out.

Great finisher.

But he's not the first and not the last to look great at that level then sadly fade into oblivion. 

Rhys McCabe, don't know who was giving him advice at the time, but not tupe'in over will be the biggest regret, he will ever make, the position he was in and us, made it perfect for a young player like him, to establish themselves at a big club, lewis macleod perfect example.

Rhys is now 27 and at Brechin. 

29 minutes ago, Fergie_6 said:

Rhys McCabe, don't know who was giving him advice at the time, but not tupe'in over will be the biggest regret, he will ever make, the position he was in and us, made it perfect for a young player like him, to establish themselves at a big club, lewis macleod perfect example.

Rhys is now 27 and at Brechin. 

Ironically, I honestly thought the likes of McCabe and Ness, looked far superior players to Lewis MacLeod.

Maybe it's because they were playing with better players around them Davis, Naismith, Jelavic, Miller etc.

Always like it when a youth player comes through and makes an impact, we could sorely do with a couple of gems to appear.

A Durrant, or a Ferguson. Looking back, guys like Maurice Ross weren’t world beaters but reliable. 

We've been proven wrong with Fleck too. He’s building a decent career for himself. 

25 minutes ago, hawkfalcons said:

sandy robertson

he fair got about a few clubs according to this

Sandy Robertson

Personal information

Full nameAlexander Robertson[1]

Date of birth26 April 1971 (age 49)

Place of birthEdinburgh, Scotland

Playing position(s)Midfielder

Youth career

1987–1988Rangers

Senior career*

YearsTeamApps(Gls)

1988–1994Rangers26(1)

1994–1995Coventry City4(0)

1995–1997Dundee United8(0)

1997Airdrieonians3(0)

1997–1998Inverness CT16(1)

1998Livingston6(0)

1998Clydebank11(1)

1999–2000Morwell Falcons22(0)

2000–2001Joondalup

2001Cowdenbeath1(0)

2001–2002Berwick Rangers8(1)

2002Raith Rovers0(0)

National team

1991Scotland U21[2]2(0)

* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only

1 hour ago, British_Empire said:

Ironically, I honestly thought the likes of McCabe and Ness, looked far superior players to Lewis MacLeod.

Maybe it's because they were playing with better players around them Davis, Naismith, Jelavic, Miller etc.

That goal in the OF from Ness tho wow !! 

Archived