Bristol City Targets Gerrard

Ace

2 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Their revenue is double ours, their spending on wages was double ours and is now about 25-30% higher, and without checking I'm pretty sure they've spent far more in transfer fees than we have in the past 12 months on the back of already having a stronger squad. Whilst all of this continues they're going to be favourites year in year out.

The job Gerrard has is massively underestimated when he's effectively got one arm behind his back. Will be one of the biggest achievements in our history if he does it.

Over and above that the scum have a fixture schedule far easier than ours. Then there's refereeing performances from favourites such as Clancy, Collum and Beaton to contend with. 

Its an incredible task, but ultimately one he needs to overcome, this year for me.

But you're right to talk up the size of the job, its a huge challenge. Some seem to almost be ignoring all that and counting down the days to demanding he goes (along with many millions in comp for him and his staff).

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

How do you propose we win anything in Scotland going by what you've said there? 

Ask some random European ref if they will do all our games?

He doesn't "definitely" deserve another season. He's lucky football stopped when it did or he mightn't have survived the last one 

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion as am I. End of story.

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Over and above that the scum have a fixture schedule far easier than ours. Then there's refereeing performances from favourites such as Clancy, Collum and Beaton to contend with. 

Its an incredible task, but ultimately one he needs to overcome, this year for me.

But you're right to talk up the size of the job, its a huge challenge. Some seem to almost be ignoring all that and counting down the days to demanding he goes (along with many millions in comp for him and his staff).

There certainly seems to be plenty who want him to fail and fail quickly.

We're up against it no matter who we have as manager, the idea of pressing the re-set button now and expecting (best case scenario) GVB (if he'd even come) or some mug like Pearson to somehow do a far better job in one season with players who aren't theirs is ridiculous.

1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

So basically you can't explain why you have your opinion, that's what you're telling me 

I posted my opinion and that's the end of it. I see no need to further explain. You are free to agree or disagree with it.

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Another real question, how much more money has been spent to achieve this better squad?

Fair enough. Let us draw a line under this as we will never find common ground. I have not written Gerrard off just yet but you seem to have done so. Time will tell which of us was right.

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Are people out there happy with our squad now? Because Im not.

Either am I, but is Grezda the only one we've wasted 'big' money on? Most of the rest of the shit signings have been frees and loans.

They could spend something like £6 million on two players in January who've barely made their subs bench. 

I'm convinced if he got Vydra in the January window we wouldn't have been as far behind. He got Kamberi instead.

7 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Remember Wim Jansen? 

Come on mate, we threw 10 in a row away Jansen didn't win it for them.

Did we not win something like 3 out of the 4 OF games? Put them out of the SC semi? Led the league for most of the season?

It's not like the scum were unbelievably good that season.

3 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Either am I, but is Grezda the only one we've wasted 'big' money on? Most of the rest of the shit signings have been frees and loans.

They could spend something like £6 million on two players in January who've barely made their subs bench. 

I'm convinced if he got Vydra in the January window we wouldn't have been as far behind. He got Kamberi instead.

Mistakes are made. It's a matter of making fewer of them. 

Horror story. Let's not forget the money wasted on those useless Mexicans under previous management.

1 hour ago, GersInCanada said:

A clearly offside goal being allowed to stand was all that prevented us from winning a trophy last season  

False. If their goal is is ruled offside it’s still 0-0. 

1 minute ago, OhW said:

False. 

You could point out the multitude of chances that we missed.

Surely you cannot dispute that we were the better team on the day and lost to an offside goal.

Having zero desire to watch the game again I cannot provide a direct link but I am sure you can find the game on Utube.

12 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

You could point out the multitude of chances that we missed.

Surely you cannot dispute that we were the better team on the day and lost to an offside goal.

Having zero desire to watch the game again I cannot provide a direct link but I am sure you can find the game on Utube.

You said their goal was the only thing that prevented us from winning. 

11 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Theres a big case that Helander and Kent are big money wastes.

I know you rate Kent highly, massively overrated imo and Liverpool robbed us. Helander looks injury prone and a CB signing was not priority last summer. 

Lafferty albeit not a huge fee, his overall financial package was another big waste. Barker is in the same boat.

In regards to scum stopping 10 in a row, he still won the title making only two signings against a dominant us. Scum also dropped over 10 points in the remaining few games due to the importance of situation. Id settle for 3/4 loses to them next season if we won the league.

Not convinced it's fair to call Helander and Kent big money wastes. I'm not necessarily Helander's biggest fan but he's about as good a centre half as you can get for the money we paid for him. Good age, played 3 or 4 years in Serie A, regular in Sweden squads etc. 

Kent needs to show his undoubted ability with more goals/assists but for all the criticism of him he's the one player we have that has celtic absolutely shitting themselves. I'd pay the £7 million again and I'm convinced we'll make money on him. 

59 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

We're up against it no matter who we have as manager, the idea of pressing the re-set button now and expecting (best case scenario) GVB (if he'd even come) or some mug like Pearson to somehow do a far better job in one season with players who aren't theirs is ridiculous.

And there it is, usual pish that people hit out with every time people don’t think the manager’s any good.

1 hour ago, GersInCanada said:

I agree that managers are measured by what they win. But who was happy with the squad that Gerrard inherited ? I know that I wasn't.

On European nights we are a decent side (no Scottish refs ?). We no longer fear the worst when a scum game comes along. The days of finishing 3rd behind the sheep are over. A clearly offside goal being allowed to stand was all that prevented us from winning a trophy last season. That's progress.

Gerrard definitely deserves another go this coming season. 

If they hadn’t scored that offside goal in the final we still wouldn’t have won that day we couldn’t even score against 10 men for 35 minutes.

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Anybody on here who wants Gerrard to fail should be banned for life. 

Name and shame them mate 

27 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

And there it is, usual pish that people hit out with every time people don’t think the manager’s any good.

Exactly, because you think the managers poor, that means you want him to fail🥱

2 hours ago, ChampionsAgain said:

Wouldn’t of blinked if he left after Tynecastle or Hamilton but it’s far too late in the day now

Aye this is how I feel.

I don’t think he’s up to it and I think he should have gone after Hearts and Hamilton. But there’s no way we can get rid of him now or allow him to leave for Bristol this late in the day.

1 hour ago, ChampionsAgain said:

Wouldn’t of blinked if he left after Tynecastle or Hamilton but it’s far too late in the day now

I thought he getting ready to walk after hearts. That post-match interview he looked like he was done. 

This is last chance for him this season. He's getting an opportunity no Rangers manager has had in decades. A 3rd season after winning nothing so far. 

If he can't get a side out on the pitch that can win trophies. Then we need to start looking for someone that can. 

5 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

I thought he getting ready to walk after hearts. That post-match interview he looked like he was done. 

This is last chance for him this season. He's getting an opportunity no Rangers manager has had in decades. A 3rd season after winning nothing so far. 

If he can't get a side out on the pitch that can win trophies. Then we need to start looking for someone that can. 

I don’t think we are too far off. But it’s the lack of learning from previous mistakes that gets me. 

Opening game of the season will be the big one,  If we go into that game with 3 cms and Hagi on the right it will prove we have learned absolutely nothing. 

21 minutes ago, ChampionsAgain said:

I don’t think we are too far off. But it’s the lack of learning from previous mistakes that gets me. 

Opening game of the season will be the big one,  If we go into that game with 3 cms and Hagi on the right it will prove we have learned absolutely nothing. 

I think that's a fair assessment tbh. 

We are close to being such a good team, but individual errors and the failure to learn from previous mistakes tactically (team selection, game management, formation) is what costs us.

It's also what makes it so frustrating because the things that cost us isn't with the benefit of hindsight and they are all totally avoidable.

To play devils advocate and flip it too tho, if we did change things about (as in our core set-up/foundation) would that then eliminate the part that brings us "close to being a good team" because Gerrard's biggest fans (and probably Gerrard himself when looking himself in the mirror) could rightly say it's his hard work and management style that brings us so close to begin with. If that makes sense.

Archived