*****Official Rangers V Motherwell Friendly Match Thread*****

BridgeIsBlue

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

If anything has summed us up under Gerrard so far is that we've just comfortably beaten 2 good sides in France yet the biggest test of how far this team has came since March will be against utter jobbers like Motherwell. 

Yes as glad as I am with these two games/results, it is the games in Scotland that matter most in winning the league and cups. I hope we do well on Wed. :thumbup:

10 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

McGregor

Tav Goldson Edmundson Barisic

Jack Kamara 

Aribo Hagi Kent

Morelos

Would love that line up come Wednesday. Will be interesting how he sets up and how we play against typical SPFL teams and the men behind the ball tactics.

I’m delighted with the performances in France and the players should be well pleased with what they’ve done. 

However, it’s true to say that this Motherwell game is the real test for this team, which is bonkers.  We’re at our most effective as a really cracking counter-attacking team, as shown in Europe, at Parkhead etc. We’re superb at soaking up pressure and then punishing teams. 

And that’s still where my concerns lie, as that’s just not what we face on the majority of occasions. Let’s hope SG and Beale have, finally, come up with a new plan to actually overcome packed defences. If not...

Performances and results in friendly games and competitions mean less than nothing. Usually less intensive than trading games and why anyone uses them to judge anything baffles me. Over the years fans here have raved about individual players based on friendlies then reality strikes in real games. We are all missing watching our team but thinking a friendly against Motherwell or Hamilton means anything is really bonkers.

Given that it is a nothing match I would like to think that Motherwell will not adapt the 10-0 formation we have become used to seeing from visiting teams to Ibrox. The game is basically about fitness, so I doubt that the Motherwell management will want to see their players simply standing around at the back just waiting for our players to come within lunging distance.

3 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Clancy desperate to ref this to get Morelos out of the sheep game.

On a serious point though, never mind the players, it’s going to be really interesting to see how refs perform without the pressure of crowds.

Will it enable them to make more balanced, less emotionally charged decisions or will it further spotlight clear bias/agendas against us? 

Somewhere like Pittodrie, where we normally get fuck all benefit of the doubt, will be really interesting.

It may just scupper their bid to aid the opposition, as there will be little hiding place for glaring bias. Let’s see...

Archived