Gaffer on transfers

KingKirk

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard insists he wants to buy at LEAST one new striker before the start of the season to challenge Alfredo Morelos and Jermain Defoe.

The Ibrox gaffer watched Defoe score against OGC Nice in France last night as Gers clinched the Veolia Trophy with a 2-0 win.

But Gerrard is adamant that he’s in the market for an additional front-man - AND a new centre-back to replace crocked Niko Katic.

He confessed that his current squad will get smaller with fringe players heading out the door.

But a striker and a defender are on his priority list as Rangers prepare for the start of the Premiership season and another Europa League campaign.

When Morelos was suspended last term, Rangers suffered, especially when Defoe also missed out through injury.

Gerrard said: “Hopefully you will see some additions if we can pull off what we are trying to do in the transfer market.

“It was quite evident after the winter break, when we were getting suspensions or Jermain had his injuries, that we lacked a bit of firepower.

“So that is definitely one area we are looking at.

“I don’t want to put a number on it because if we don’t get them in people will maybe say we have failed.

“I don’t think it is the right time to put pressure on the board as they have been very good to me over the last two years.

“But we have targets in certain areas and the idea is to make quality signing that can come in and improve the starting 11.

“It is not about making the squad bigger in terms of numbers.

“We are at a stage where we need quality to make the team bigger.”

With Croatian defender Katic sidelined for at least six months with a cruciate knee injury, Gerrard also needs cover in that department.

He’s been impressed with youngster Lewis Mayo but revealed he will probably go on loan – with a new centre-half arriving to join Connor Goldson, George Edmundson and Filip Helander.

Gerrard said: “We have the luxury of Calvin Bassey being able to play as a centre-back too.

“But I need to replace Katic because I need four good centre-halves if we are looking at what we are hoping is going to be another 60-game season.

“We love Mayo. His attitude has been fantastic and he has a really good chance.

“But I think he needs game time rather than to be number four centre-back.

“We will keep him in until we get the right one in and then we will look to Lewis out to get him 30 games for his development.

“But I have to be selfish with Lewis in the short term.”

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course we do the good thing is the gaffer realises that, so will be onto a good thing if he didn’t we were fucked. Hopefully with no winter break we will keep going till 55 No matter what that is the priority 🇬🇧

Definitely we are missing a de Boer type player 

Aye and with our budget they are just floating around minor Euro leagues! WTF planet are you on? RDB and his brother were World class players we got towards the end of their careers ffs.:confused:

It’s about scouting come on to fuck it’s not rocket science. The players are there we just shouldn’t be blinkered cause they aren’t a big name, hopefully our scouts are looking and we will find them. Remember they don’t need to cost the earth to be superstars

As he said a lot of the leagues are still playing. I would expect we will get 3 first team pics in . However I think a lot depends on Morelos if he is sold or not. If he is sold we will have more money to spend so we will have A list ,with Morelos money , target's and B list without Morelos money.

7 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Need more than that tbh. 

That's what I was thinking when reading that, if that's going to be the extent of our recruitment then I don't see how expects things to be any different from last season. 

1 minute ago, born a blue nose said:

a decent RW is needed then put hagi through the middle but that’s not looking likely. 

I can see kent playing on the right more often tbh....not sure if that means more game time for Murphy & Jones, I defo think he is prioritising a holding midfielder over an attacking player at this stage...he maybe thinks he has plenty of cover with Kent,Hagi,Aribo,Arfield,Jones & Murphy...a huge gamble if you ask me, Murphy probably deserves one more crack but Jones, Barker & Middleton I think will get moved on if a deal can be struck....only then will another wide player or Attacking midfielder become a priority for him

Gerrard is never anything but honest. It would hinder the development of Mayo is be on the bench for us every week therefore with Katic out we need another CB.

A 3rd striker is also required. That's a no brainer.

As for midfield Gerrard already has 8 to choose from. Unless a couple of them go I would say that we are covered there.

Archived