Stewart Robertson.... Again

falkirkNS

1 minute ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Bang on mate, all this clown has done is give our enemies the opportunity to turn it around on us, who needs enemies when we’ve got this clown feeding every media outlet ammo to shoot down our fans, it far from this first time this clown has had a go at the fans though. 

I agree to an extent but I do think he put this out with the best intent. Just wasn't thought out and delivered correctly though.

Is he a guy well out of his depth? Pretty much so.

Is he a bad guy that wants to bury us? Don't think so.

Thats why I said before I was surprised that Graham didn't notice how this would be interpreted considering hes the PR man.

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The Beast said:

The point is that football people are not always the most informed when it comes to matters outside of football. That's fine, they are paid to play/discuss football not be social commentators.

I don't know if everyone who kneels or otherwise shows support for BLM knows the deeper political agendas of that organisation or just want to show they disagree with racist behaviour as they did with kick it out and show rascism the red card.  I suspect that it's very much the latter. A number of pundits, media organisations and the FA have all backtracked on blindly supporting BLM after the groups political philosophy has been given more scrutiny.

Goldson has expressly stated he took a knee to oppose racism, nothing to do with any perceived politics attached to BLM.

Yet we have some - including posters on this forum - insisting he's a liar.

At the request of players across the Premier League, the PL supported it. Still are last I seen. FA also allowed players to have a BLM message on their shirts at the weekend - the first games played in an FA competition iirc. They've not exactly backtracked.

1 minute ago, esquire8 said:

I agree to an extent but I do think he put this out with the best intent. Just wasn't thought out and delivered correctly though.

Thats why I said before I was surprised that Graham didn't notice how this would be interpreted considering hes the PR man.

I don’t think he does put out with best intent tbh mate, it seems as if he can’t wait to have a go at the fans at times, anything remotely unionist PUL linked he seems to have a massive issue with, seems as if it’s everyone anyone (except unionists) really cannot stand the guy, if only he spent as much time tackling our enemies instead of instead of pandering to them. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

He was speaking out because he was told by a number of fans he isn't welcome at the club. Go have a  look at some of the comments on his instagram and tell me if you think some of them are in any way close to acceptable. If people want to voice their opposition to BLM as an organisation, great. Telling a black Rangers player that he isn't welcome at Ibrox because he took a stance being replicated around the world to oppose racism (including by every single one of his teammates and coaches) is the action of a cunt and deserved to be called out by the player and club.

For once I agree with you. These were actions of cunts.

Whether you agree with BLM or not (I don't) Goldson did nothing wrong and to single him out for criticism is insane considering every player for every team is doing the same thing.

3 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

The same guy who fed the Record an exclusive a few weeks ago and defended it to the hilt insisting there had been no negative feedback from fans?

Just now, The Beast said:

Whether you agree with BLM or not (I don't) Goldson did nothing wrong and to single him out for criticism is insane considering every player for every team is doing the same thing.

Exactly 

Just now, The Dude said:

He was speaking out because he was told by a number of fans he isn't welcome at the club. Go have a  look at some of the comments on his instagram and tell me if you think some of them are in any way close to acceptable. If people want to voice their opposition to BLM as an organisation, great. Telling a black Rangers player that he isn't welcome at Ibrox because he took a stance being replicated around the world to oppose racism (including by every single one of his teammates and coaches) is the action of a cunt and deserved to be called out by the player and club.

The comments were wrong but it’s Instagram and twitter. Football players shouldn’t be qualifying  their fan base on public platform comments.  In my opinion Goldson’s reaction was unprofessional. Our whole support have been held to account because of a handful of twats on twitter. 

Which is why Rangers were absolutely right to speak out.

54 minutes ago, ZZed said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53470672

If I was reading that as a neutral, I would read it as Goldson was racially abused by his own fans and and Morelos probably was as well.

100% this. He's managed to create a negative spin out of what should be a positive message from the club. 

Just now, Howsitgoing said:

The comments were wrong but it’s Instagram and twitter. Football players shouldn’t be qualifying  their fan base on public platform comments.  In my opinion Goldson’s reaction was unprofessional. Our whole support have been held to account because of a handful of twats on twitter. 

Goldson calling out abuse directed towards him stating he shouldn't be allowed to wear our shirt again because he opposed racism is unprofessional? Fucking hell.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Do you think think the players lack the intelligence to know what they are kneeling for?

I'll guarantee you most Black footballers could write everything they know about the BLM ORGANISATION  on the back of a stamp. It's not down to intelligence though it's ignorance. If they did research fully into it's true Marxist origins I'd be very disappointed if they fully supported it. 

It's a stance that came hand in hand with the BLM organisation which is now seen as a very dangerous and counterproductive organisation. The BLM badge has been dropped from so many companies because of this. BLM want to fight racism with racism. Not the way forward clearly. And taking the knee with the fist up was made their symbol, their stance.

Do we want racism? Fuck no

Do we want to show a stance that fights racism with racism? Fuck no

I don't have the answer to the issue but forcing people to follow a movement so they can follow a club is very dangerous territory, regardless of how Goldson or Robertson see this stance as.

Goldson has expressly stated he took a knee to oppose racism, nothing to do with any perceived politics attached to BLM.

Yet we have some - including posters on this forum - insisting he's a liar.

At the request of players across the Premier League, the PL supported it. Still are last I seen. FA also allowed players to have a BLM message on their shirts at the weekend - the first games played in an FA competition iirc. They've not exactly backtracked.

They have publically distanced themselves from the organisation while still trying to keep the anti-racism message. Imho they would have been much better served by another anti-racism message rather than BLM which is inherently divisive.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Which is why Rangers were absolutely right to speak out.

I never once said they weren't. 

My only point was the conflation of the two topics allowing the perception that Rangers fans were associated with both.

Just now, The Dude said:

Goldson calling out abuse directed towards him stating he shouldn't be allowed to wear our shirt again because he opposed racism is unprofessional? Fucking hell.

I’ve seen some of Tavernier’s comments after a bad game calling for the same thing, he doesn’t react because he knows the credibility of who is writing it. 

9 hours ago, The Dude said:

They aren't attributing blame to anyone specifically.

Saying that if fans can't back the players regardless of their background they aren't welcome isn't saying it was Rangers fans who racially abused one of our players.

The only mention of racist abuse happening is in relation to Morelos - not Goldson. They are talking about every single Rangers player who has taken a knee. Goldson isn't the only one to have taken abuse from fans over it. The bit about saying if you cant back our players regardless of background, is absolutely correct. If you can't get behind a player of any race then you aren't wanted. Not really rocket science.

Absolutely nothing wrong with my reading comprehension.

It is the use of the phrase, regardless of background implies that Goldson received abuse because of his colour. That at least is how many will read the statement even if others don't. 

12 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

There was zero racist remarks in the comments on Goldsons posts. Just people opposing the BLM knee which is not being racist, despite what is commonly thought. Far from what was put on Morelos live feed.

To say the two are similar is very wrong and dangerous. For Robertson to combine the two in the same statement was wrong and dangerous. Media ran with we, the Rangers fans, being racist.

Did both issues needed addressed? Yes ofcourse. But in my opinion Morelos issue should've been the clear statement and have the fan media do a board release of the Goldson issue on social media.

See The Dude's posts, people telling him he wasn't welcome for (along with every other team mate) taking the knee for racial equality, it's not calling him names but racism isn't just name calling - far from it. 

The issues are linked whether we like it or not, both needed to be addressed in one statement, unfortunately no other option.

People can argue over the semantics of the statement, but the Morelos story had already had a full 24 hours of coverage before this statement was made, we call on the rest of scottish football (celtic) to condemn it also - shame on them for not doing so, well done our board for standing up against racism. That's the PR win, not statement semantics. 

My only point was the conflation of the two topics allowing the perception that Rangers fans were associated with both.

There's no conflation between them though. The club's statement is perfectly clear that Morelos was racially abused and that is being investigated by the police while any abuse from Rangers fans (racist or otherwise) of players won't be tolerated.

4 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Don’t think anyone is disagreeing with that tbh, fans going on social media regarding any issues not just BLM is wrong, tbh I don’t agree with Goldson using the club as a platform to air his political views but I wouldn’t go on social media to have a pop at him for it. 

1 minute ago, esquire8 said:

What's this lad? Unaware of what happened.

Fed the record a story about something (cant remember exactly what it was off hand but there were exclusive quotes from the club which he confirmed were genuine). Fans weren't impressed by it. Graham defended it as part of a new strategy the club has in dealing with the media.

3 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Spot on , BLM are happy that people can't see the difference between the racist BLM group and the obvious point that Black lives matter. 

31 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

They did separate the two, read their statement. 

I posted this earlier on this thread:

I  don't think that the statement was particularly good insofar as  it  could be misconstrued by some that our fans  had racially abused Morelos.   I am aware that it doesn't say that as such but covering two separate issues  the way they have in this instance has not been handled well in my opinion.   

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

There's no conflation between them though. The club's statement is perfectly clear that Morelos was racially abused and that is being investigated by the police while any abuse from Rangers fans (racist or otherwise) of players won't be tolerated.

There's no direct conflation but the fact that the statement starts off by criticising a section of Rangers fans re Goldson, then goes directly on to the Morelos matter without stating something like " we believe that whomever abused Morelos wasn't associated with Rangers" or "the abuser also made republican terrorist statements" allowed for the implication.

Archived