Arteta

peter huistra

Looking back in retrospect don't you wish this guy had stayed a bit longer , was only with the club for two years but left a very lasting impression and is highly thought of by the fans of the club, still to this day. 

Signed for 5.8 million from Barcelona after impressing while on loan at PSG , both Advocaat and Mcleish were instrumental in bringing him to Ibrox and apparently at the time we had a deal or understanding that Barca would offer us some of their best young players. 

His debut season 2002/03 was an epic tussle and really hard to belive 17 years have past since then , for someone so young at the time he played with a maturity and intelligence way beyond his years and I don't think it was a coincidence Ferguson that season played some of his best football scoring 18 goals with Arteta pulling the strings behind him. 

After Ferguson left for Blackburn , it was assumed Arteta would flourish in a more forward role but his second season was disrupted by injury and he didn't make the same impact and eventually declared he was homesick and we sold him for under 3 million to Real Sociedad.

If there is lessons we can learn from Arteta's time at the club it's maybe we should not expect to much to soon , and I think we can draw parallels with young Hagi at the club at this moment , who imo is the most talented youngster since Arteta. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was a good player. Not compatible to the others he was playing with and I'm glad to see him try to make his own way in management instead of just hang about Pep. There's always just something that bugs me about being 'homesick' and pitching up at Everton a year later and staying in England for the rest of his career. Was it just cause we took such a downturn in the 03-04 season and he didn't want to be associated with that?

Pen was one of my highlights of my life tbf. Not sure that buzz will ever be beaten. 

Cant say I’ve ever heard him speak fondly of us. And the ‘home sick’ was a pile of shite. 

Don’t like Arsenal either. 

Pep is a wank as well. 

4 hours ago, Dan Deacon said:

In my opinion he never looked like he enjoyed being with us. Played ok. Good professional etc. Maybe that's just his character but never thought he was happy when with us.

Obviously as the video in the OP is his highlights reel it's showing him in the best possible light but he looks fucking delighted in most of it. 

7 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

Overrated due to Dunfermline penalty imo. Very good player but not to be mentioned in the same sentence as some of the midfielders we’ve had over the years

Absolutely miles better than anything we have at the moment.

I don't think that highly of him tbh. Homesick then at Everton 6 months later.

How we sold him for a loss is also ridiculous.

That being said, he had ability and went on to have a cracking career. For us I thought he was hit and miss, clearly had talent though. Not sure the SPL was the league for him to flourish in so he moved on.

I don't think he had the impact that the likes of Van Bronckhorst and Gattuso did. I also don't think he had the desire or attitude that they had.

He clearly had class but struggled with some of the aspects of the game here I thought. Not surprised to see the career he went on to have as he obviously had quality. 

I think that period said a lot about our scouting eg Gattuso, Arteta, van Bronckhorst with us over a few years all going on to win top honours worldwide and in europe. Unfortunately celtic have been better at this in recent years, van Dijk being the obvious. Hopefully with Morelos, Hagi etc we can move back towards these sorts of players. 

4 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

We're a weird bunch when plenty yesterday would have been rooting for Lampard who has no connection to us over someone who won us a league and speaks highly of his time at the club.

Absolutely bizarre isn’t it? The guy isn’t a legend or anything but played a significant part in our last treble. 

12 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

We're a weird bunch when plenty yesterday would have been rooting for Lampard who has no connection to us over someone who won us a league and speaks highly of his time at the club.

We seem to have a lot of supporters these days who absolutely loath anybody who’s had a previous tie or link to the club. Strange as fuck mentality to me, but one that is out there.

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

We seem to have a lot of supporters these days who absolutely loath anybody who’s had a previous tie or link to the club. Strange as fuck mentality to me, but one that is out there.

Aye it's bizarre. The likes of Ross McCormack and Whittaker to name a couple I loathe as much as anyone, but someone like Arteta should be getting a great reception if he ever ends up back at Ibrox with Arsenal.

2 hours ago, Sket said:

Absolutely miles better than anything we have at the moment.

And have had since he left apart from Ferguson.

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Plenty people prefer Chelsea to Arsenal, and like Lampard more, who likes Rangers, and it would mean Tierney no winning. Hardly weird tbf.

He was getting slaughtered by some of the fans his second season 2003-2004.

You could still see his talent, but when Ferguson left he was doing 2 jobs at once in the midfield and it wasn't fair on him. 

He was stuck playing with Emerson, Gavin Rae or some other numpty. Bit of a scapegoat.

I hate the way we do that with genuinely talented players, while we worship mediocre players, at times.

Archived