£200 million for a player

3 years since PSG signed Neymar for £200 million/€222 million euros.

Do you think that record will be broken time soon and if so is there anybody else around today who you would pay that figure for if you owned, ran or managed a club?

For me there are only three players that I would ever consider paying a fee of that scale for and they are

Haaland

Mbappe

Alexander-Arnold 

And even then that’s mainly down to their ages and the fact that if they carry on at the level they are at just now you can almost guarantee a decade of service out of them.

I know it’s the way the game is going but I really hope we don’t reach a point where transfers of that value end up becoming normalised :anguish:

I think when fees like £70/80million are banded about like nothing for decent/good players it's only a matter of time. 

I mean, if Grealish is £80million what does that make KDB. That's not even a criticism of Grealish. It's just KDB is incredible and the market is fucked.

The only thing possibly against KDB would be his age but even at 29, I would say he's the most valuable asset in world football (given Messi and Ronaldo are just that little bit older now). Notable mention to Lewandowski too though who's unbelievable but again just the wrong side of 30. I doubt KDB would leave anyway.

My general consistent view over the years though is the quality of player is deteriorating yet the value of players are getting more and more ridiculous (with a few exceptions).

Just now, Laudrup1984 said:

I think when fees like £70/80million are banded about like nothing for decent/good players it's only a matter of time. 

I mean, if Grealish is £80million what does that make KDB. That's not even a criticism of Grealish. It's just KDB is incredible and the market is fucked.

The only thing possibly against KDB would be his age but even at 29, I would say he's the most valuable asset in world football (given Messi and Ronaldo are just that little bit older now). Notable mention to Lewandowski too though who's unbelievable but again just the wrong side of 30. I doubt KDB would leave anyway.

My general consistent view over the years though is the quality of player is deteriorating yet the value of players are getting more and more ridiculous (with a few exceptions).

Even if guys like Lee Sharpe, Paul Merson and Gavin Peacock were playing today, they'd likely be worth 30-40-million in this climate - which is pretty scary. 

10 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

De Bruyne is incredible and  he would probably be the only other player I would consider having on my list of players who could command that sort of fee, but as you say his age probably works against him. 

8 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Even if guys like Lee Sharpe, Paul Merson and Gavin Peacock were playing today, they'd likely be worth 30-40-million in this climate - which is pretty scary. 

To be honest Merson is twice the player of Grealish and some IMO, but yeah get your point totally.

You just need to have one decent game in the EPL and then you're set for life. One decent game and you're at least £20million plus. You can then have numerous shit games and you're valuation doesn't change. Have another good game though and your valuation doubles! Madness!

Might as well make a prediction (so I can at least laugh at myself in the future).

If he were to leave in the next window or soon just before he hits his absolute peak, I wouldn't be surprised to see Harry Kane go for something pretty close to £200million. Just typing this is mental! Don't get me wrong I think he's brilliant but no one is really worth that man!

1 minute ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Might as well make a prediction (so I can at least laugh at myself in the future).

If he were to leave in the next window or soon just before he hits his absolute peak, I wouldn't be surprised to see Harry Kane go for something pretty close to £200million. Just typing this is mental! Don't get me wrong I think he's brilliant but no one is really worth that man!

I think if SAF was still in charge of Man Utd they would have signed Kane for about 150 million two or three years ago. 

19 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

Arnold’s not worth 200 million, nowhere near it. 

other two probably will go for that 

I think considering his age, his ability as an attacking full back and how important he is to Liverpool I genuinely think clubs would have to pay close to that to get Liverpool to even think about selling him but realistically I think he will be at Liverpool for his whole career.

8 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I think if SAF was still in charge of Man Utd they would have signed Kane for about 150 million two or three years ago. 

When you look around there aren't many like him. He's like a lesser version of Lewandowski. In fact he'd be perfect for Bayern although Lewandowski has a few more years left.

Also most big teams will be on the look out for a top striker. If you look at some of the big names who's main men are the wrong side of 30, the likes of Messi, Benzama, Suarez, Lewandowski, Ronaldo, Higuain, Aguero, Mertens etc., Kane must be on their radar, especially when he's winning nothing at Spurs. 

De Bruyne is the best player in the world imo but it will be a few years before the economy recovers at which time he will be in his 30's. Even Barcelona are complaining they are skint.

Mbappe has the best chance of breaking the record but not for a few years.

Archived