We still need another two IMO

GOAT

14 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

This is what we have assuming Morelos goes.

McGregor(McLaughlin)

Tav(Patterson) Goldson(Edmundson) Balogun(Helander) Barisic(Bassey)

Jack(Davis) Aribo(Kamara)

Roofe(Arfield) Hagi(Stewart) Kent(Barker)

Itten(Defoe) 

Katic(injured), Jones, Murphy, Middleton, Barjonas, McCrorie and Docherty. Fair to say 6 in bold will hardly play or leave.

If one of that front 4 get injured we are back to relying on players not good enough to play week in week out. We still need one more quality signing in the attacking positions imo.

Exactly, it's incredibly short-sighted to  think we've signed two forward in a day so that's all of our problems solved.

Our most critical part of the pitch IMO is the CB area, and we have Goldson and Balogun, Helander seems to be made of glass, so are we really willing to risk having a pairing with Edmundson if one gets injured?

We don't really have any steel in midfield which imo is a big mistake, as some games you need that type of player.

We have Itten covered by 37 yo defoe who is injured right now, is Roofe then going to go central? His goal scoring stats are not amazing.

I still think we need a CB, CM and CF, but we also need to get rid of the shite, as you have rightly highlighted - we have too much of.

The pertinent phrase is strength in depth, not just depth. :lol:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I hope not!

Hagi should be moved inside. It may have looked convincing in pre season but in competitive football him on the right has not been good.

Roofe Hagi Kent behind Itten.

Who is the back up to those? Injury prone Defoe? Shit like Barker, Murphy and Stewart? 

We need quality in reserve. Suspensions and injuries occur. At least another wide player has to come in, whether that is a loan or not.

Rotation is key, those 4 dont start 50 matches each.

It’s fine saying we need quality in reserve but as I’ve already said I think you would struggle to find a real “quality” player at the level people want us to sign that will come in and be happy to have two players of similar or comparable quality ahead of him for his place. I would love it but, and I hope we can pick up a winger on loan from England later on in the window, but the days of that level of depth is over IMO.

1 minute ago, Valance1690 said:

Would say Kent, Hagi & Aribo at a push, who else you thinking of? 

We need to get rid of signings like Stewart, Barker, Hastie, Jones, Murphy...just 5 players that aye are probably on shit wages but added together could easily mean a high profile loan player from the premier league who could give us some added quality 

I would rather see youth players in if push came to shove and we had injury problems over somebody like Murphy, they've had countless chances now and shown nothing 

Roofe and Itten can play anywhere across the front line.

We’ve also still got Barker (who I don’t rate but has earned another chance based on the quality of his training apparently) and Arfield (not ideal but has done in the past) who can play there too.

Just now, DBBTB said:

Roofe and Itten can play anywhere across the front line.

We’ve also still got Barker (who I don’t rate but has earned another chance based on the quality of his training apparently) and Arfield (not ideal but has done in the past) who can play there too.

Need to reserve judgement on the 2 new boys but promising that they can fill in if required

Arfield is one I dont actually mind, he can do a job in midfield if required, the others mentioned are the kind of players you need to come on and win you games, our bench at the weekend was crazy, theres not 1 player on it I thought could've came on and changed the game if we were struggling

10 minutes ago, Swally said:

Exactly, it's incredibly short-sighted to  think we've signed two forward in a day so that's all of our problems solved.

Our most critical part of the pitch IMO is the CB area, and we have Goldson and Balogun, Helander seems to be made of glass, so are we really willing to risk having a pairing with Edmundson if one gets injured?

We don't really have any steel in midfield which imo is a big mistake, as some games you need that type of player.

We have Itten covered by 37 yo defoe who is injured right now, is Roofe then going to go central? His goal scoring stats are not amazing.

I still think we need a CB, CM and CF, but we also need to get rid of the shite, as you have rightly highlighted - we have too much of.

Again I’ll make the point that I don’t think we we are likely to attract players of first team quality who are going to be happy to sit on the bench every week.

Do you think another centre back of Balogun or Helander’s reputations or a striker of comparable ability to Roofe or Itten  (who cost us what 4 million each) are going to come to mainly sit on the bench every week when we still have glaring weaknesses in other areas?

3 minutes ago, Fergie_6 said:

Morelos staying for one more season, squad as a whole looking good, maybe Zungu to come in or someone of that ike signed, with some fringe players maybe moved on and we have a team to challenge no probs.

There’s no chance we keep Morelos after what we’ve spent today.

1 hour ago, Swally said:

I'm being greedy here but  with Morelos going, I would say we need a 3rd striker, a CB and a Bastard of a midfielder to really be confident.

I don't trust Edmonson to be of the required level to come into the team, Helander's injury prone and Katic is fucked. I'd rather we got another CB just to be sure.

We have Roofe and the swiss lad, i'd rather we had a backup striker with Defoe fucked I'm not too confident starting the season with 2 forwards not used to the SPFL 

The biggest problem for me is we don't have a no-nonsense game controlling midfielder who has a bit of dig , we have skill and imagination in there, but I feel we're lacking for some matches.

We aren’t signing another c.b so get that out of your head.

6 minutes ago, Swally said:

The model the coaching team are going for is quite clearly Liverpool. We aren’t trying to spearhead our attack with 1 striker, we want an interchangeable, fluid front 3 consisting of forwards rather than out and out strikers, so if all forwards get 10 goals a season then you end up with more than a 20 goal a season forward that you build the team around.

in the friendlies you can see they had been working on Alfie’s link up play, dropping deep, pulling defenders out of position to then play a pass, then he’d pop up on the right wing.

With good enough players the system we play domestically won’t matter, we’ll beat our opposition most of the time. If you don’t have the players you have to play a different style. Wilson and Gerrard have a vision for the way they want to play and I feel Roofe fits that model perfectly as do Kent and hagi.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

Again I’ll make the point that I don’t think we we are likely to attract players of first team quality who are going to be happy to sit on the bench every week.

Do you think another centre back of Balogun or Helander’s reputations or a striker of comparable ability to Roofe or Itten  (who cost us what 4 million each) are going to come to mainly sit on the bench every week when we still have glaring weaknesses in other areas?

Throughout the years we have made good use of Scottish players, who are tried and tested in the league.

Getting someone with the kind of rep  you're talking about as a 3rd choice  is utterly stupid, and not something I have at any point stated we need.

I think you've maybe assumed what I was meaning and made a rash judgement on it, perhaps I should have been more clear in what I was saying.

5 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

The model the coaching team are going for is quite clearly Liverpool. We aren’t trying to spearhead our attack with 1 striker, we want an interchangeable, fluid front 3 consisting of forwards rather than out and out strikers, so if all forwards get 10 goals a season then you end up with more than a 20 goal a season forward that you build the team around.

in the friendlies you can see they had been working on Alfie’s link up play, dropping deep, pulling defenders out of position to then play a pass, then he’d pop up on the right wing.

With good enough players the system we play domestically won’t matter, we’ll beat our opposition most of the time. If you don’t have the players you have to play a different style. Wilson and Gerrard have a vision for the way they want to play and I feel Roofe fits that model perfectly as do Kent and hagi.

I know what you mean, but also disagree with not having tactical flexibility, I think it is our Achilles heel. 

I think people are getting confused between what I think should happen and what is going to happen under the leadership of Gerrard & Beale.

For Ex. I would have bought Shankland long ago, but clearly Gerrard doesn't fancy him. That type of player would have been an excellent 3rd choice IMO.

I think it's silly to try and dump a system onto the Scottish league without being open-minded about systems that have brought success in the past. For example, I don't care if 4-4-2 is outdated, so is the Scottish League. 

11 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

That’s an interesting assessment. 👍

4 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Its not two players ahead though. With the fees spent on Hagi, Roofe and Itten(if accurate) surely it means all 3 start?

Hagi has to come into the midfield 3.

Jack Aribo Hagi

Roofe Itten Kent

That means if we signed another wide player/striker he is trying to get ahead of one of those in the front 3. 

If we signed another midfielder hes in the exact same boat trying to get a spot in the midfield 3. Arguably its harder with Arfield, Davis and Kamara looking to start.

Nobody wants Aribo or Hagi dropped, so that leaves Gerrards go to guy Jack. Who would drop out of those 3 for a new midfielder? 

2 weeks ago everybody was in agreement we needed another striker and wide player. Both have been signed today, but that was not with Morelos leaving. Thus we will be 'one' short of what we all wanted 14 days ago. 

Exactly, and another thing is Morelos and Defoe are known quantities in Scotland, Roofe and Itten are not. Although I have reasonable confidence in both players being good in the SPFL, both are going to have to come in and hit the ground running with Defoe being injured. It doesn't leave a lot of breathing room if one of the new players is finding it difficult to adjust. This is another good reason to have a tried and tested Scottish striker waiting in the wings. Given Defoe's age, it will take him longer to get back to fitness after this injury, so he could be out for a sizeable time.

When you start talking in those terms you start to see the risks involved in being over-confident in your squad.

9 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Its not two players ahead though. With the fees spent on Hagi, Roofe and Itten(if accurate) surely it means all 3 start?

Hagi has to come into the midfield 3.

Jack Aribo Hagi

Roofe Itten Kent

That means if we signed another wide player/striker he is trying to get ahead of one of those in the front 3. 

If we signed another midfielder hes in the exact same boat trying to get a spot in the midfield 3. Arguably its harder with Arfield, Davis and Kamara looking to start.

Nobody wants Aribo or Hagi dropped, so that leaves Gerrards go to guy Jack. Who would drop out of those 3 for a new midfielder? 

2 weeks ago everybody was in agreement we needed another striker and wide player. Both have been signed today, but that was not with Morelos leaving. Thus we will be 'one' short of what we all wanted 14 days ago. 

Don’t think there is any chance Hagi plays in a midfield three tbh. Unless we change our entire set up he will be playing on the right with Roofe and Itten also capable of playing there.

Whoever we sign to play in midfield will replace Kamara, who I still think we will sell this Summer, in the team IMO.

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Don’t think there is any chance Hagi plays in a midfield three tbh. Unless we change our entire set up he will be playing on the right with Roofe and Itten also capable of playing there.

Whoever we sign to play in midfield will replace Kamara, who I still think we will sell this Summer, in the team IMO.

What gave you that idea?

I'll be happy if we can sell him and make some money on him tbh, so I'm all for that. :lol:

Archived