Missed Opportunity?

Given the baffling and infuriating drop in form at the turn of the year it actually feels like the whole surreal experience of the lockdown scenario has done us a big favour. It's dampened the title win for the scum and helped draw a more emphatic line under our own shortcomings last season. It feels like we're embarking on this new campaign with a fresh resolve we simply wouldn't have had if things had played out normally.

Gerrard clearly still has the full backing of the board and the goodwill of the support and (a currently out of sorts) Morelos leaving won't necessarily be a blow if the cash is right and it gets reinvested wisely and quickly. We've had an encouraging pre-season and avoided an early banana skin against the sheep. Transfer activity looks encouraging.

Yes, the bookies are seldom wrong and we are still the underdogs, but pretty much everything feels about as good as it could given where we were back in March.

But I can't help feel that there's something we (ie Gerrard) should have done that would have helped boost our chances of winning the league this season. And that's appoint a new captain ahead of the new season.

A quiet word with Tav to thank him for his time served as captain and reassure him of his value to the team, and then pass the mantle over to Hagi.

I've read on here many times that the captain's role isn't actually all that important and every single player should lead by example on the pitch. And I'm sure many would say that Hagi is too young and new to the club and it would be reckless to pass the lad the armband.

First of all I would agree that the importance of the captain's role can appear to be exaggerated. But that's when your captain in the WRONG man for the job.  It's only when you get a great captain that you really see the difference it can make (and we know that as a club more than most thankfully).

Secondly, Tav was never the right fit for the role. Bereft of charisma and never a natural leader who was able to galvanise the troops in the face of adversity. More a frightened rabbit in the headlights when being gubbed by the scum or unable to break down a diddy defence. He can play captain when the going is good but he immediately looks uncomfortable and out of ideas when we're under the cosh. [He'd probably play better without the responsibility tbh and maybe give us some of those early amazing free kicks again.]

Contrast that with the lad Hagi. 

He arrived without a hint of nerves and immediately embraced and revelled in the huge expectation of the Ibrox atmosphere. He seemed to single-handedly spark the comeback against Braga - lifting both teammates and fans - in a manner that was more befitting of a late-twenties club legend than an unproven newbie.  Maybe his age is an advantage. Not tainted by defeat, not intimidated by the expectation of Bears or the hatred of the filth, hungry to make his mark in world football and seeing Rangers as the perfect launch pad. He's sparkled in almost every game he's played and his head never goes down.

Tav is part of the journey to where we're at now and fair play to him. But Hagi is potentially a key part of a successful future Rangers team.

Hagi as captain might seem like a curve ball but realistically we're going to need some kind of curve ball to win this season. The guy is a class act with a rich footballing pedigree and he has unarguably made a dramatic impact in a very short time. He has all the attributes (save experience) to be our captain and has the perfect fluid position on the park.

The scum see a Tav-led Rangers team as the same old story and ultimately not much of a challenge to them. They would see a Hagi-led Rangers team as an unknown quantity. It would help send a message that this season things are different.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird view on things tbh. I'd hope hagi sparked a reaction as he is you know an attacking creative player it's kind of his main job to create and inspire our play.

I don't think tav should be captain but the suggestion of hagi is laughable he was non existent against Aberdeen. 

What we need captain wise is someone who moans and doesn't put up with people's shite. Basically mcgregor but an outfielder. I don't think we have anyone who screams out as captain material. Hagi is waaaaay down the list though. 

14 minutes ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

Given the baffling and infuriating drop in form at the turn of the year it actually feels like the whole surreal experience of the lockdown scenario has done us a big favour. It's dampened the title win for the scum and helped draw a more emphatic line under our own shortcomings last season. It feels like we're embarking on this new campaign with a fresh resolve we simply wouldn't have had if things had played out normally.

Gerrard clearly still has the full backing of the board and the goodwill of the support and (a currently out of sorts) Morelos leaving won't necessarily be a blow if the cash is right and it gets reinvested wisely and quickly. We've had an encouraging pre-season and avoided an early banana skin against the sheep. Transfer activity looks encouraging.

Yes, the bookies are seldom wrong and we are still the underdogs, but pretty much everything feels about as good as it could given where we were back in March.

But I can't help feel that there's something we (ie Gerrard) should have done that would have helped boost our chances of winning the league this season. And that's appoint a new captain ahead of the new season.

A quiet word with Tav to thank him for his time served as captain and reassure him of his value to the team, and then pass the mantle over to Hagi.

I've read on here many times that the captain's role isn't actually all that important and every single player should lead by example on the pitch. And I'm sure many would say that Hagi is too young and new to the club and it would be reckless to pass the lad the armband.

First of all I would agree that the importance of the captain's role can appear to be exaggerated. But that's when your captain in the WRONG man for the job.  It's only when you get a great captain that you really see the difference it can make (and we know that as a club more than most thankfully).

Secondly, Tav was never the right fit for the role. Bereft of charisma and never a natural leader who was able to galvanise the troops in the face of adversity. More a frightened rabbit in the headlights when being gubbed by the scum or unable to break down a diddy defence. He can play captain when the going is good but he immediately looks uncomfortable and out of ideas when we're under the cosh. [He'd probably play better without the responsibility tbh and maybe give us some of those early amazing free kicks again.]

He arrived without a hint of nerves and immediately embraced and revelled in the huge expectation of the Ibrox atmosphere. He seemed to single-handedly spark the comeback against Braga - lifting both teammates and fans - in a manner that was more befitting of a late-twenties club legend than an unproven newbie.  Maybe his age is an advantage. Not tainted by defeat, not intimidated by the expectation of Bears or the hatred of the filth, hungry to make his mark in world football and seeing Rangers as the perfect launch pad. He's sparkled in almost every game he's played and his head never goes down.

Tav is part of the journey to where we're at now and fair play to him. But Hagi is potentially a key part of a successful future Rangers team.

Hagi as captain might seem like a curve ball but realistically we're going to need some kind of curve ball to win this season. The guy is a class act with a rich footballing pedigree and he has unarguably made a dramatic impact in a very short time. He has all the attributes (save experience) to be our captain and has the perfect fluid position on the park.

The scum see a Tav-led Rangers team as the same old story and ultimately not much of a challenge to them. They would see a Hagi-led Rangers team as an unknown quantity. It would help send a message that this season things are different.

Hell no. Probably about last on my list.

I think Hagi has massive potential and hope he really shows that this season. 

So far though he has only really had a massive impact in 2 games Braga and Hibs. I don’t think he’s shown anywhere near enough to suddenly be handed the captaincy. 

42 minutes ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

safe_image.gif

An interesting view. I don’t totally disagree but I don’t think Hagi will be a certain starter in games. 
I do think Hagi in time would be a good captain. 

I do agree that Tav would be a better player without the weight of the captaincy.  But I think to take it off him now would affect him negatively. I reckon Goldson should have been given it in Gerrards 1st season.

Archived